PDA

View Full Version : Negro League footage from 1945 ...

Chris Counts
11-16-2011, 08:12 PM
This YouTube clip isn't quite pre-war, but I couldn't resist posting it. Not only does it show a great Harlem Globetrotters-like pre-game warm-up (does anybody know who #15 is?), but it's shot in Crosley Field. Most of the clip focuses on the Indianapolis Clowns, but there are a few frames of players from the Kansas City Monarchs as well. I'm curious if there's more footage out there from the same game. For what it's worth, Jackie Robinson played for the Monarchs that year ...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCqYKcqi_ug

Here's another clip I just found of the same guys. This one's even better. I guess #15 is "Goose" Tatum ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PunxRJZzn6A&feature=related

novakjr
11-16-2011, 08:48 PM
The Clowns were an interesting bunch. The book "Barnstorming to Heaven" was written by the owner's son about his experiences with the team growing up. I thought it was a pretty solid book. Definitely worth checking out.

Tabe
11-18-2011, 04:52 PM
Neat find! #15 has some of the longest arms I've ever seen.

Tabe

whitehse
11-18-2011, 06:45 PM
I had heard Buck O'Neil talk about shadow ball and wondered how they could actually fool people like he said they did with that game. Looking at that footage I now understand how shadowball fooled many people. It is obvious for a good part of that film he was not actually throwing the ball around but keeping it in his mitt, only to take it out when the "throw" would come back to him.

This is some great film.

V117collector
11-18-2011, 07:22 PM
That was awesome thanks for posting!! Now I need to update my want list!:)

Wite3
11-18-2011, 07:54 PM
Tatum was amazing...a true two sport star and ended up playing for the Globetrotters...widely considered the inventor of the hook shot and was recently elected to the Basketball Hall of Fame...

Goose was widely regarded as being scouted by the Phillies as well.

Joshua

Buythatcard
11-19-2011, 04:49 PM
That was great!

Thanks for sharing.

rc4157
11-19-2011, 09:41 PM
I enjoyed that Chris, thanks for posting.
RC

Jay Wolt
11-19-2011, 10:01 PM
Chris, that was some fun clips, thanks for posting them.