PDA

View Full Version : Hank Aaron 50's cards

MilBraves
11-10-2011, 10:28 AM
Hi All,

My latest project is picking up every Aaron card from the 50s.

What do you guys think will be the toughest card?

bcbgcbrcb
11-10-2011, 11:02 AM
1952 Indianapolis Clowns (Negro League) postcard, only one known to exist

doug.goodman
11-10-2011, 01:14 PM
The 1958 Aaron blue background variation, that I don't have a scan of, but here's a link to a thread.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=133119

There are more than one of these, so not as rare as the Clowns postcard that Phil mentioned, but still pretty rare.

Doug

ALR-bishop
11-11-2011, 07:07 AM
Doug---I have a Topps 1966 Mays, card # 1, in which the background colors are blue rather than green, and the name is white rather than yellow. I had assumed it was a sun/light fading issue. Does green fade to blue in sun or constant light ? If so, maybe you can produce your own blue Aaron :)

doug.goodman
11-11-2011, 06:49 PM
Doug---I have a Topps 1966 Mays, card # 1, in which the background colors are blue rather than green, and the name is white rather than yellow. I had assumed it was a sun/light fading issue. Does green fade to blue in sun or constant light ? If so, maybe you can produce your own blue Aaron :)

I'm thinking your "sunlight method" may work, but it seems like the rest of the card would be faded, too. Not just the background.

Doug

fkw
11-12-2011, 08:10 AM
Besides the 1952 Clowns PC, there is another "true" baseball card that is unique...

I dont own it anymore, but this card below is the only known example from this series (set?)

discovered only about 4 years ago....

http://centuryoldcards.com/images/1959esslingerbeeraaron.jpg

...maybe go for every baseball card of Hank from 1954-58 ;)

PS on the 1958T Aaron with the blue background, Ive seen 3 of them now in last 2 years not including one that was 1/2 green and 1/2 blue. they are interesting but are really a print defect (missing yellow) not a man made error/variation. I believe there are quite a few of them still to be "discovered".... I have a search programed for the '58 Aaron and run into the blue ones from time to time on eBay

bbcard1
11-12-2011, 10:57 AM
If you are talking regular Topps and Bowman cards, you should cost through pretty easily. Be picky on the right condition for you and don't be afraid to negotiate pretty hard...there's probably a couple of each in any room.