PDA

View Full Version : Unofficial CJ Thread...a couple CJ questions.

rainier2004
11-10-2011, 09:36 AM
First off, I love cj's. I have 2 questions and fishing for opinions/ideas, plus those of us that are cj junkies need more to talk about here (t206 what?). First, Im looking for ideas/opinions on how to display my set after completion which should be within the next decade. My thought was to buy a reprint set, a nice leather binder embroidered with:
"Cracker Jack Ball Players"
on the front. I really dont like the CJ albums, plus they're pricey and my $ needs to go to cards. 20-24 stars would be displayed in a framed setting and the commons/minor stars/reprint stars in the book. Any ideas gang?
Question 2: I was fishing for thoughts on "levels" of the cards that are equal..NOT ACTUAL PRICES. This is my interpretation of 1915 CJs:
1. Who else?
2. Cobb
3. Tie - Wagner, Mathewson, Johnson
4. Tie - Lajoie, Alexander, Speaker, Rickey
5. Tie - Plank, Cicotte
6. Tie - Collins, Tinker
7. Tie - Evers, Mack, McGraw

These 16 cards, in my opinion, bring a higher premium than others fror e145-2's. I feel that the wagner, matty and johnson bring about the same price with all variables the same for example. Any thoughts? Other players ie hr baker?

sportscardpete
11-10-2011, 10:53 AM
Think Plank should be a tier higher, and I don't think Mcgraw and Mack are on the same level.

glchen
11-10-2011, 11:08 AM
I think you missed a big one: 1915 CJ Shoeless Joe Jackson. He might be #1.

FrankWakefield
11-10-2011, 11:25 AM
Jackson IS the 'who else?'.

So if Mack and McGraw aren't on the same level, which do you perceive more difficult to locate?

tiger8mush
11-10-2011, 12:55 PM
are the "levels" based on price? scarcity? combo of both?

rainier2004
11-10-2011, 01:10 PM
Levels are based on what you would be willing to pay comparable to the other tiers. Example: I would be willing to pay more for a plank on tier 5 than an evers on tier of the cards were identical in overall grade but id pay about the same for a plank as i would for a cicotte given both are on the same tier.

sportscardpete
11-10-2011, 02:39 PM
Jackson IS the 'who else?'.

So if Mack and McGraw aren't on the same level, which do you perceive more difficult to locate?

Frank do you disagree? I'm sure you have quite a bit more experience than I do. I just figured the Mack commands more than the Mcgraw.

yanksfan09
11-10-2011, 03:16 PM
There are others I'm not thinking of right now, but Joe Wood might crack your list, and Otto Knabe, at least in better conditions....

Ed Walsh, Comiskey, Edd Roush (rc) maybe?

Bosox Blair
11-10-2011, 03:30 PM
I think every HOFer plus Jax, Joe Wood, Cicotte and Gandil should be somewhere in your hierarchy.

So there are a good many HOFers you have left out. For example, Hooper typically sells for about the same price as Eddie Collins in this set.

Joe Wood goes for a bit more than either of them.

Cheers,
Blair

rainier2004
11-10-2011, 03:41 PM
I think every HOFer plus Jax, Joe Wood, Cicotte and Gandil should be somewhere in your hierarchy.

So there are a good many HOFers you have left out. For example, Hooper typically sells for about the same price as Eddie Collins in this set.

Joe Wood goes for a bit more than either of them.

Cheers,
Blair

Jackson would be 1 and cicotte is on the list at level 5. The wood does did go high recently as on ebay a psa 1.5 just went for $250 . The gandil seems to be quite a bit lower, I got a really nice psa 1 for $85 recently. My Hooper (vg/ex) came early on and havent noticed low-mid grades go for $100+. I would say the lowest tier I have mentioned on there I would be willing to go about 175% on price of a Hooper or Gandil, but just my opinion which is very unsofisticated...

FrankWakefield
11-10-2011, 03:42 PM
Pete, I would expect the Mack cards to sell for a bit more than the McGraw cards. Someone working on cards of the HOF managers, or the elite managers, would have fewer options out there for Mr. Mack; Mr. McGraw is more readily available.

I don't think that the prices or difficulty reflects scarcity, but rather demand. The cards in the second series are generally available in similar quantities. It's a demand thing...

RichR
11-10-2011, 06:41 PM
Would you consider displaying them by cool poses as well?

rainier2004
11-10-2011, 06:48 PM
Would you consider displaying them by cool poses as well?

Definitely. Ive debated the Gandil, which I do not consider one of the most 20-24 cards coveted in the set, b/c of the pose...peckingpaugh as well. The horizontal poses aere more flexible within a display as well.

Runscott
11-10-2011, 07:15 PM
I don't want to talk about CJ's - that would be the red area to the right, where I gave up quite early, it seems. I'm not doing this to brag, but rather to show the irony tomorrow morning when everything is red. Except my bottle of wine, which will be clear.

But...I would show Alexander and Plank a bit more respect, and Rickey a little less.

http://www.belltownvintage.com/files/Heritage_Bids.jpg

yanks4
11-10-2011, 07:31 PM
How about this.......

1. Jackson
2. Cobb
3. Wagner
4. Johnson, Alexander
5. Speaker,Mathewson
6. Plank,Rickey,Cicotte,Mack,Lajoie,Brown,Baker,Marqu ard
7. Collins,Tinker,Evers,McGraw,Crawford,Bresnahan,Woo d,Clark,Chance
Maranville, Griffith
8. Hooper, Roasch,Schalk,Carey,Huggins,Jennings, Knabe,Comisky,Gandil

What are the hardest commons???

rainier2004
11-10-2011, 07:37 PM
What are the hardest commons???

Seems like the Nunamaker makes a lot of peoples want lists...I do not have this card either. I have noticably more high #'s than lows. No respect on the matty card?

Bosox Blair
11-11-2011, 03:43 AM
How about this.......

1. Jackson
2. Cobb
3. Wagner
4. Johnson, Alexander
5. Speaker,Mathewson
6. Plank,Rickey,Cicotte,Mack,Lajoie,Brown,Baker,Marqu ard
7. Collins,Tinker,Evers,McGraw,Crawford,Bresnahan,Woo d,Clark,Chance
Maranville, Griffith
8. Hooper, Roasch,Schalk,Carey,Huggins,Jennings, Knabe,Comisky,Gandil

This looks good. I'd move Matty up to #4 for sure. And I'd add Wheat and Walsh to #8 or even #7.

Cheers,
Blair

rainier2004
11-11-2011, 05:09 AM
Pick-up off the bay last night and hopefully the card is truly unaltered and crease/wrinkle free as he claims....cannot wait to get it!

rainier2004
11-11-2011, 06:12 AM
Alright, to narrow the focus, I will be displaying 20-24 CJs when the set is done. As I count this set contains 32 HOFs. No in the HOF would also include Knabe, Wood, Gandil, Cicotte, Chase and Jackson bringing the total to 38 possible cards. Am I missing some sources of aquiring these cards?

yanks4 - Id agree with this list but:
1)move matty up 1
2)move brown down 2 tiers
3)add bender, maranville and wheat to tier 8
4)If you meant Chase instead of Chance I agree - Thats 38 cards placed and dropping tier 8 leaves me with 25 cards...hmmm....

yanks4
11-11-2011, 09:52 AM
OK............

My experience is that Matty seems to come up more often and is slightly cheaper in 3, 4, or 5......then Johnson and Alexander....

I concur on the Walsh and Wheat.......

Runscott
11-11-2011, 10:07 AM
What did you all think of the price-tag on the Heritage CJ set last night? To me, it looked like it went just a touch over re-sell value - maybe someone was looking for one or two of the 'big ones' out of that lot? It had a nice Jackson, Cobb and Mathewson.

rainier2004
11-11-2011, 06:12 PM
That set was very nive with all those 1914s. Id be happy to take some off their hands if theyre selling...

btkpath
11-12-2011, 09:28 AM
My thoughts exactly Steven.......I couldn't swing for the whole set, but I wouldn't mind adding a couple of the 1914's in that set to my collection (hint, hint to the buyer!).