PDA

View Full Version : "The Babe" Movie vs real life

ScottR81
11-08-2011, 11:51 AM
So last night I was flipping the channels and stopped when I saw the movie "the Babe" that one from the 1990's with John Goodman. I was lucky enough to catch it at the very beginning and started compairing it to his real life.

Now I know that movies are movies and there's always a lot of BS added but COME ON. It was like the producer of the movie only cared about certain elements instead of using actual facts and correct dates for a lot of things including the early career of Ruth. It only focused on his hitting ability which shows him crushing HR's in 1914 as a Red Sox player which is all untrue. I also find it hard to believe he hit the first "infield" HR in MLB history.

I really hate this movie because of these issues and a whole lot more. I would love if someone re-did a more factual movie based on his life and really showed what a great pitcher he was too.

Just some random thoughts.....

Cardboard Junkie
11-08-2011, 12:37 PM
The story line sucked compared to facts but I think Goodman did a good job and the movie did hold my interest. What do you think of "Cobb" with Tommy Lee Jones? Aloha, Dave.

ScottR81
11-08-2011, 01:30 PM
Well, I think it was more funny then anything. Seemed like Tommy lee jones was channeling his twoface batman character at times, but it was ok.

I wish HBO would make a show about 1900's baseball like they have with Boardwalk Empire.

I think it would be cool to see the lives on and off the field for a young red sox Ruth, Cobb, Cy young, the dead ball era when it was about the game.

SHOELESSJOE3
11-09-2011, 10:39 PM
So last night I was flipping the channels and stopped when I saw the movie "the Babe" that one from the 1990's with John Goodman. I was lucky enough to catch it at the very beginning and started compairing it to his real life.

Now I know that movies are movies and there's always a lot of BS added but COME ON. It was like the producer of the movie only cared about certain elements instead of using actual facts and correct dates for a lot of things including the early career of Ruth. It only focused on his hitting ability which shows him crushing HR's in 1914 as a Red Sox player which is all untrue. I also find it hard to believe he hit the first "infield" HR in MLB history.

I really hate this movie because of these issues and a whole lot more. I would love if someone re-did a more factual movie based on his life and really showed what a great pitcher he was too.

Just some random thoughts.....

Bendix and the Goodman movie are both stinkers and thats putting it mildly. In the Goodman movie Ruth is portrayed as a big clumsy oaf. At the very first showing of the Bendix movie Babe and his wife Claire left before the movie was over.
What a joke with the Goodman bomb...........Babe hits a home run, trots to first base and a pinch runner completes the rest of his trot around the bases.
A shame some younger people will watch the Goodman movie and never know what the real Babe was like.

The only good Babe movie, far superior to Bendix and Goodman aired on TV years ago.. "Babe Ruth a made for TV movie starring Steven Lang, showed in 1991, this was a very good Babe movie. Difficult to find on VHS or DVD, I'm still looking and so are some others on another baseball board. This one is worth watching, the other two should be burned.