PDA

View Full Version : Clark Griffith

zljones
11-07-2011, 07:39 AM
Perhaps I need to brush up on my history a little bit, but can anyone tell me if Clark Griffith made to Hall Of Fame for his managerial or his player skills. I am building up my collection of T205 Hall Of Famers, and my criteria is to only collect HOFers that were actively playing in 1911 or made the HOF for their playing abilities not for managerial or executive role, hence, why I excluded Miller Huggins and John Mcgraw. If anyone can help me with this issue that would be great so I know if I should add this card to my collection or not.

bcbgcbrcb
11-07-2011, 07:56 AM
Actually, he is enshrined as an Executive.

bigtrain
11-07-2011, 07:58 AM
Although he won 240 games as a pitcher against only 144 losses, according to the Hall of Fame, he was elected as an executive in 1946.

zljones
11-07-2011, 09:22 AM
Thanks guys for that valuable info, it saves me money for now. I will get that card eventually but at least I can put it off for now and focus on bigger fish to fry.

sportscardpete
11-07-2011, 09:27 AM
I'm curious as to whether or not accomplishments as a manager/executive/player can overlap each other. For example, if someone is going in as a manager, do they take into considerations his other attributes, or do they soley focus on one type of accomplishment?

Hot Springs Bathers
11-07-2011, 09:45 AM
So much of the selection process depends on who is serving on the committee at the time.

A really wonderful read is Bill James' THE POLITICS OF GLORY. It basically goes year by year detailing the process of who was elected and why. Some will really leave you scratching your head.

In recent years we have had several questionable selections but the book shows that the question marks actually started appearing in the early 1940s.

bcbgcbrcb
11-07-2011, 10:31 AM
Even if the individual should only be selected for a particular category based on his accomplishments in that capacity only, human nature is that the voters can easily be swayed, even subconciously, by accomplishments in other areas.

Hankphenom
11-07-2011, 03:28 PM
I hope there's no implication in any of the previous posts that Clark Griffith doesn't belong in the Hall of Fame. Truly one of the monumental figures in the history of the game. If he doesn't go in, neither does Connie Mack, and I don't think anybody would argue for that.

Hot Springs Bathers
11-08-2011, 11:54 AM
Agreed! Griffith was one of the founders and a great manager.

Of the early stars of the 20th centry there has always been much talk of Tinker's selection.

I once heard former football player Choo Choo Justice say that he thought his nickname helped him win alot of recognition. He was also a fine football player! I think the poem helped Tinker's chances a great deal.

bcbgcbrcb
11-08-2011, 12:48 PM
No argument about Griffith belonging in the HOF here.

teetwoohsix
11-08-2011, 12:57 PM
One of my favorite T206 portraits-Clark Griffith

zljones
11-08-2011, 01:22 PM
I do agree I really like that T206 griffith, I think that one will be one of the first T206s I will persue when I move on from T205.

FrankWakefield
11-08-2011, 06:29 PM
Amen to what Mike said up there... if a fellow thinks he knows about the Hall, if he has opinions he wants to voice about whether someone should be in or out, and if he hasn't read that James book The Politics of Glory, then I think that fellow should hush his mouth and read that book. Only then might he understand the Hall.

TheBig6
11-08-2011, 10:55 PM
One of my Favorite cards of the Old Fox
http://photos.imageevent.com/ruckers/cardbacks/websize/oldfox.jpg