PDA

View Full Version : Nate Sanders is some auction house. You have to be crazy to consign with them.

sports-rings
11-04-2011, 01:49 PM
Nate Sanders is some auction house. You have to be crazy to consign with them.

I wish to share my latest experience with them.

I received a few emails from them over the last few days as their auction is ending in 4 days.

I see an item I want to bid on so I went to their site to log-on and bid on it.

I could not get in as I was no longer recognized as a valid account.

So yesterday, I called their office and today I called a few times.

A nice lady who answered the phone said someone would look into this and call me back.

They never did. Today when called again, I was told no one was in the office that could help me. In speaking to her, it seems I was probably removed from their system because I was very critical of them and their policies on this site.

Well, I stand behind what I said back then.

I reminded the lady that as someone who wants to bid on their items, don't they have an obligation to their consigners to allow all qualified bidders to bid in their auctions? No one has called me back and one of my criticisms in the past was that Nate never returned my phone calls when I was interested in one of his items. It seems out of spite they have eliminated me.

I realize I can be coarse,but I have never stiffed an auction house in the past and every other auction house allows me to participate in their auctions, even if I drive them crazy (LOL).

If anyone has a relationship with Nate Sanders or their staff, can you ask them to respond to this post as I am getting absolutely nowhere with the nice lady that answers the telephone.

ibuysportsephemera
11-04-2011, 02:11 PM
I don't understand, if you have been highly critical of them in the past, why would you want to bid in their auction?

Jeff

perezfan
11-04-2011, 02:27 PM
There are so many childish and unprofessional outfits in this hobby, it is mind-boggling. It never ceases to amaze me how some of these people manage to remain in business. Between Coaches Corner, American Memorabilia, Grey Flannel, Vintage Authentics, Bricol, and now this one, I can see why the hobby continues to have a less than stellar reputation.

I am sure your objections and concerns with them are well-founded. Even if they have something you currently want, I would be the one boycotting them. We need to collectively stop supporting these shady outfits, and perpetuating the sleaze factor within this otherwise great hobby.

barrysloate
11-04-2011, 03:03 PM
I also don't understand how you could be highly critical of this auction house, yet still want to bid with them. It makes no sense to me. If you don't like them, walk away.

slidekellyslide
11-04-2011, 03:11 PM
Poor customer service will continue to thrive in this hobby because the dealers know we NEED their stuff. :D

thecatspajamas
11-04-2011, 03:21 PM
Let me say that I don't know Nate Sanders and have never dealt with him previously, but I can't blame him one bit for banning you from bidding in his auctions after the inflammatory posts you made the last time around:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=140277&highlight=nate+sanders

A few quotes:

"Nate Sanders is the Most Unprofessional Auction House I Have Ever Dealt With"

"In my conversation with an employee it sounded like they make up rules as they go along."

"I have never dealt with this auction house before this auction and unless they have something I desperately need in the future, I will avoid them."

"I told the lady on the phone I could not wait to get off the phone so I could post this story on Net54. I hope they check it out and respond to my post."

"Nate Sanders and his company was the worst dealing I have ever had with an auction house."

I won't speak to his policies with how he runs his auctions since I have never participated before, but if I were in his shoes, there is no way in hell I would knowingly allow you to participate in any more of my auctions. After your reaction the last time, I'm actually really surprised that you wanted to bid with him again, but even so, you shouldn't be so shocked when you're blocked at the door. If someone were standing on my front lawn yelling about all the ways I had mistreated them, I wouldn't later invite them in for dinner whether I had actually wronged them or not. You can't blame the guy for not wanting to invite more trouble into his (auction) house.

slidekellyslide
11-04-2011, 03:30 PM
"I have never dealt with this auction house before this auction and unless they have something I desperately need in the future, I will avoid them."

Bingo! Desperation...the stuff trumps everything in this hobby..and probably most hobbies. Collectors just gotta have it...I know I'm the same way..if someone I despised had the two Nebraska Indians postcards I've been searching for for years up for auction I'd still bid on them. Even if they were at Coaches Corner.

barrysloate
11-04-2011, 04:03 PM
Stuff trumps common sense and all conviction. Too bad collectors can't show a little more backbone.

slidekellyslide
11-04-2011, 04:05 PM
Stuff trumps common sense and all conviction. Too bad collectors can't show a little more backbone.

The problem is that much of the stuff we collect shows up so seldom that it may be your only shot to ever attain something. Which is why it's easy to rationalize dealing with the "bad guys".

barrysloate
11-04-2011, 04:46 PM
I guess you're right Dan. What can you do? When I collected I made every effort to stay away from dealers I either hated or didn't trust (long list, I know). But I wasn't an addicted collector. Others are.

Leon
11-04-2011, 04:46 PM

Just call me "worm". :)

Jay Wolt
11-04-2011, 05:06 PM
Poor customer service will continue to thrive in this hobby because the dealers know we NEED their stuff. :D
Dan true!
But better customer service may result in another bid here & two there.
So they can reap the benefits (as well as the consignors) of higher priced lots.

sports-rings
11-04-2011, 05:42 PM
I don't understand, if you have been highly critical of them in the past, why would you want to bid in their auction?

There was an item that caught my eye. And unlike last time, they were not running their own auction while at the same time offering the exact same item on ebay with a "buy it now".

I did not remember how harsh I was with them, thanks for pointing that out. I take responsibility for it, however I was frustrated dealing with them last time and I guess I went overboard and have cooled down since that post.

However, don't they owe it to their consigners to try and have as many bidders as possible?

perezfan
11-04-2011, 06:16 PM
One bad experience (as consignors) is normally enough to sway our future decisions elsewhere. I know it holds true for me...

That's why REA gets "cream of the crop" consignments and also realizes the highest prices. Stellar customer service, great product knowledge, honesty, integrity, quick to pay consignors, and a well deserved/top-notch reputation. If a suspect item is called into question, they'll research it, and withdraw it (if warranted). I wish the same could be said for half of the auction houses within the hobby. Many won't even return a call or email, unless they think there's something in it for them.

There is normally a correlation bewtween the the quality of items in an auction and it's level of customer service. Unfortunately, many sellers in this hobby aren't shrewd enough to grasp this, and would rather ignore or screw the customer. These short-sighted actions will eventually cost them in the long-run.

howard38
11-04-2011, 06:24 PM

calvindog
11-04-2011, 08:45 PM
I guess you're right Dan. What can you do? When I collected I made every effort to stay away from dealers I either hated or didn't trust (long list, I know). But I wasn't an addicted collector. Others are.

Barry, name me two auction houses in which fraud has never occurred. There's the rub.

barrysloate
11-05-2011, 05:06 AM
Jeff- I might be able to find two, but admittedly it would be a stretch. But given Michael's vehement criticism of the auction house, how could he come groveling back to them to bid? At some point you have to draw the line and walk away. You don't have to be best friends with everyone you bid, that's not a criterion. But if you think they are trying to steal your wallet, you do need to walk away. What can I say- this is an ethically challenged hobby. Always was, always will be.

Jay Wolt
11-05-2011, 06:29 AM
There's dozens of auction houses both big & small and you would think that there are several that are clean,
I have never heard any rumblings w/ regards to fraud w/ REA, Huggins & Scott, B&L, Sterling & so on.

EDITED for spelling

vintagechris
11-05-2011, 06:33 AM
Coaches Corner would never get a dime from me. I don't care if they had the deal of the century for an item I really wanted. I have a little more conviction than that.

At the end of the day, it's just cardboard and we can't take it with us.

Rich Klein
11-05-2011, 08:01 AM
Barry, name me two auction houses in which fraud has never occurred. There's the rub.

If any fraud has ever occured at B&L

Rich

RichardSimon
11-05-2011, 08:07 AM
Coaches Corner would never get a dime from me. I don't care if they had the deal of the century for an item I really wanted. I have a little more conviction than that.

At the end of the day, it's just cardboard and we can't take it with us.

But Chris, you know that not every collector would take the same attitude as you.
If CC somehow walked into an estate sale on a day with 12" of snow and nobody else showed up and wound up with an amazing, authentic, one of a kind autograph and got it certed by everyone in the business, the bids would be coming in from everywhere.

mcgwirecom
11-05-2011, 02:38 PM
I've bought several nice McGwire signed items from Coaches Corner LOL. Mostly because I can authenticate his signature. I guess sometimes someone still consigns something with them. 99% of their McGwire signatures are no good but I watch the items with scans. They have a few JSA and PSA/DNA items in each of their auctions. I'll take a deal wherever I can find it.

Ringking
11-18-2011, 08:24 PM
Nate Sanders is some auction house. You have to be crazy to consign with them.

I wish to share my latest experience with them.

I received a few emails from them over the last few days as their auction is ending in 4 days.

I see an item I want to bid on so I went to their site to log-on and bid on it.

I could not get in as I was no longer recognized as a valid account.

So yesterday, I called their office and today I called a few times.

A nice lady who answered the phone said someone would look into this and call me back.

They never did. Today when called again, I was told no one was in the office that could help me. In speaking to her, it seems I was probably removed from their system because I was very critical of them and their policies on this site.

Well, I stand behind what I said back then.

I reminded the lady that as someone who wants to bid on their items, don't they have an obligation to their consigners to allow all qualified bidders to bid in their auctions? No one has called me back and one of my criticisms in the past was that Nate never returned my phone calls when I was interested in one of his items. It seems out of spite they have eliminated me.

I realize I can be coarse,but I have never stiffed an auction house in the past and every other auction house allows me to participate in their auctions, even if I drive them crazy (LOL).

If anyone has a relationship with Nate Sanders or their staff, can you ask them to respond to this post as I am getting absolutely nowhere with the nice lady that answers the telephone.

Nate has had many issues with just about everybody in the autograph business.
I know that Todd Mueller sued him a few years ago, won and collected a 78K judgement against him.

When he had the Ray Guy rings up for auction a few month ago, I along with others contacted him about them to never hear back from him. Using other Raider connections, I was finally able to get in touch with Ray to set up what I wanted to do, but we didn't get any help from Nate or his auction/ebay accounts in the matter.

HRBAKER
11-19-2011, 07:28 AM
......and then we wonder why we routinely (it seems, if all is to be believed) get taken advantage of.