PDA

View Full Version : Dump Days are becoming Dump Months on ebay

tbob
11-01-2011, 03:41 PM
I remember when everyone was becoming disgruntled when ebay had one of its "Dump Days" and Mike Wheat, yebpg, and several other dealers would put their whole inventories on eBay, drowning out the auctions and BINs of "new" cards which had not previously been on ebay. It was a pain not only for the collector trying to transverse the minefield of high priced BINs which had been on eBay 10-15 times already, but hurt the collector/small dealer who was hoping for exposure to his offerings.
Now with the new eBay rules which are friendly to the fixed price inventories of major dealers, the dump days are occurring over and over again, as the same old overpriced cards flood the pre-war listings.
I'd like to just search "auctions" and avoid having to thumb through all the overpriced cards which have been on eBay constantly but I'm afraid I'll miss that one "new" BIN which is something I actually need and has never been listed previously.
Sorry for the rant....:(

DaveW
11-01-2011, 04:05 PM
I agree. I'm tired of seeing the same cards from Mike Wheat over and over again - all priced 2-3x over reasonable. I'm always amazed when I just look at the real auctions and the number of cards goes down by over 90%. So many overpriced BINs ....

bigred1
11-01-2011, 04:30 PM
I may miss some opportunities, but I only search auctions only, same reason.

Runscott
11-01-2011, 04:41 PM
It must be working for him - he's been doing this for ten years.

As such, how can you blame him? When I started collecting again after a 5-year hiatus, I was surprised to see some of these guys still in business (there are plenty of them) - sellers who according to my own sensibility about selling, should never have survived.

I suspect that they are selling a lot at much lower prices, via off-ebay offers, saving ebay expenses. Further evidence is that most of them have BIN's, but no 'Make offer' button. ;)

There are at least two of these guys who I used to buy from regularly. I shied away from them for a long time, then simply made them reasonable offers and was stunned when I was never rejected.

Jcfowler6
11-01-2011, 05:06 PM
I search price ranges for specific cards sometimes for this very reason.

paul
11-01-2011, 05:13 PM
I search only auctions, but still see the same cards coming up again and again from the same dealers with high minimum bids.

rainier2004
11-01-2011, 05:50 PM
I dont understand why theres not a cap to how many times the same item can be put up for sale. This logic that floods the searches could be hurting business as it drives away buyers to other places. I love ebay but are a lot of pieces to it I hate and this is one.

doug.goodman
11-01-2011, 06:09 PM
I don't understand why there's not a cap to how many times the same item can be put up for sale

Possibly because it would be impossible to enforce.

Also, ebay would have to "care" on some level, which we all know they don't.

Doug

alanu
11-01-2011, 06:24 PM
I know sellers wouldn't like it, but I would love to be able to exclude sellers in searches in the same way you can block specific users from bidding on your items.

Runscott
11-01-2011, 06:30 PM
I know sellers wouldn't like it, but I would love to be able to exclude sellers in searches in the same way you can block specific users from bidding on your items.

YES!!! That is definitely what we need.

npa589
11-01-2011, 07:05 PM
I agree, but I also have enjoyed the 1 cent auction days/ or free auction days. They have, indeed, had 2 of them in a row. The last 2 Tuesdays.

There are some sellers that use it to their advantage, and price things reasonably, but 85% of the items are nonsensical with regard to pricing.

I know longer am able to bid on yepdg's items - heh heh. I guess my offers for his BINs were simply too reasonable.

YankeeCollector
11-01-2011, 07:45 PM
For all the above reasons, I just start all my auctions at .01 and let them run.

YankeeCollector
11-01-2011, 07:47 PM
If I do a buy it now, I usually list the card's SMR value or recent sales on VCP.

iggyman
11-01-2011, 08:06 PM

Stop the presses! You can exclude sellers from your searches. I do it all the time and I've set-up a few searches just for dump days (which excludes the usual suspects and then some, ie: yep, wheat, battersbox, Kit, 707, etc, etc, etc).

Do your usual search and then find the "ADVANCED" menu. Once there, scroll towards the bottom until you see "SELLERS"..............click the "ONLY SHOW ITEMS" option, and then either "INCLUDE" or more importantly "EXCLUDE" who you want. That is it, save it and your good to go.

Hopefully, that is what you mean and I am not just having a bad dream.

Lovely day....

alanu
11-01-2011, 08:16 PM
Stop the presses! You can exclude sellers from your searches. I do it all the time and I've set-up a few searches just for dump days (which excludes the usual suspects and then some, ie: yep, wheat, battersbox, Kit, 707, etc, etc, etc).

Do your usual search and then find the "ADVANCED" menu. Once there, scroll towards the bottom until you see "SELLERS"..............click the "ONLY SHOW ITEMS" option, and then either "INCLUDE" or more importantly "EXCLUDE" who you want. That is it, save it and your good to go.

Hopefully, that is what you mean and I am not just having a bad dream.

Lovely day....

Thanks, had no idea you could do this!

nsaddict
11-01-2011, 08:43 PM
"I know sellers wouldn't like it, but I would love to be able to exclude sellers in searches in the same way you can block specific users from bidding on your items."

You have been always able to....I thought this was general knowledge.

Click on advanced search,then find items,scroll down a bit under sellers. You have the choice to include or exclude specific sellers.

zljones
11-02-2011, 05:32 PM
I remember when everyone was becoming disgruntled when ebay had one of its "Dump Days" and Mike Wheat, yebpg, and several other dealers would put their whole inventories on eBay, drowning out the auctions and BINs of "new" cards which had not previously been on ebay. It was a pain not only for the collector trying to transverse the minefield of high priced BINs which had been on eBay 10-15 times already, but hurt the collector/small dealer who was hoping for exposure to his offerings.
Now with the new eBay rules which are friendly to the fixed price inventories of major dealers, the dump days are occurring over and over again, as the same old overpriced cards flood the pre-war listings.
I'd like to just search "auctions" and avoid having to thumb through all the overpriced cards which have been on eBay constantly but I'm afraid I'll miss that one "new" BIN which is something I actually need and has never been listed previously.
Sorry for the rant....:(

I so very much agree with you, I myself grow exhausted from flipping through all those dead BINs. Something should be done

tbob
11-02-2011, 09:13 PM
Wow! Thanks so much, doing a pre-war search while excluding certain sellers and the words like "reprint" and it seems like the old days again! :D

npa589
11-02-2011, 09:24 PM
Worse yet..................the guy who sells "images" of T206 cards, T205 cards, T207 cards, T212 cards - etc.

I want to strangle him.

zljones
11-02-2011, 10:09 PM
Reprints kill me, I do not own a single one, I hate when I search google (I search google when I am desperate) for some N162 cards (trying to build up the HOFers in that set) and I see a listing on ebay for 8.99, so I think that could be an auction but it turns out to be the same reprint that has been sittin for a year.