PDA

View Full Version : Monster T206 Desk

ruth-gehrig
10-31-2011, 07:33 PM
Ok I've got an idea:eek:. I've decided to go after the Monster(even if it does take me 20 years...I'm only 30). Just got my 1st card last week. Anyways I'm trying to think of a creative way to display them. My antique wood desk has a piece of glass on top of it and I was wondering if I would do any damage to the T206 cards if I put them under the glass. I'm talking about over the course of many years.

steve B
10-31-2011, 07:41 PM
If they're under there for years there will probably be some damage. Usually keeping the card from touching the glass is a good idea.

Light will be a problem. A few years will definetly cause fading. In a frame there are a few types of UV blocking glass, but I don't think those would hold up well on a desk.

Maybe a piece of thin Uv blocking plastic, an acid free mat with cutouts for each one, and a layer of acid free paper? That could work, and would allow a creative layout for the display.
If you can't stand looking at the empty spaces you could always pick up a set of reprints and replace them with real ones as you get them.

Steve B

Bridwell
10-31-2011, 10:20 PM
Congrats on starting a collection. That Davis pose is one of my favorite poses in the whole set! I've collected about 15 different backs with that pose on the front.

Regarding the desk, you will likely do some damage. There will be a little friction and that could cause wear. Also the potential of fading the colors in sunlight or a halygon lamp. For a collection on a desk, I'd recommend you collect in lower grade such as Good or VG. Perhaps even a little back damage. The wear on the cards becomes part of the decoration of your desk, and looks authentically antique. And your cost will be very low.

Anything above VG I'd put in a plastic sleeve, at least.

jp1216
11-01-2011, 05:28 AM
Problem with only displaying the fronts - the more you collect T206, the more you'll want to display the backs.... Good Luck.

barrysloate
11-01-2011, 05:58 AM
Over time you would likely ruin the cards. The fronts would stick to the glass and that would be a disaster. You can purchase a roll of mylar plastic, and if you put the cards between the mylar it will likely preserve them. But they may still fade over time. Overall, not a good idea. If you prefer them raw keep them in a binder with good quality pages...again, mylar is best.

FrankWakefield
11-01-2011, 06:21 AM
What about getting 2 sheets of uv glass cut to fit the desk? Get them to finish the edges (they grind them a bit and I think a light oil is put on there to get that green look). Then, put the cards you gather between the sheets of glass. Even if the cards did eventually stick to the glass, a bit of water would quickly and harmlessly release the cards...

The cards would be easier to enjoy if they're on the desk, as opposed to in a binder, or in a safe, or safety deposit box, or slabs...

brianp-beme
11-01-2011, 07:15 AM
An example of exposure to light:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1933-GOUDEY-BASEBALL-JOE-MOORE-MLB-CARD-BIG-LEAGUE-CHEWING-GUM-CO-INDIAN-GUM-/220882774254?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item336da3a8ee

Of course this card was tacked to a wall and most likely exposed to direct sunlight, but over time without taking some preventative measures my guess is that you will have some fading due to light exposure. By the way, the strip of red at the bottom of the card in the link is what the card's background should look like.

Just trying to scare you a little.

Brian

nebboy
11-01-2011, 08:57 AM
Cards, paper or pictures can stick to the glass if exposed to moister, thats the main reason for mating items. Also the cards could stick to the varnish of the old desk over time.

Good luck with the Monster!

iggyman
11-01-2011, 09:30 AM
I can't give you anymore, then whats been said about the elephants in the room. But if you ever did put that T206 collage together, boy oh boy, that would be one mighty fine piece of furniture art. Actually, once you started putting it together, I would be more concern with the collective drool of anyone who got near it!

Lovely Day...

pariah1107
11-01-2011, 09:36 AM
I cringed when I first read this, but frankly some of the suggestions are even worse. Yes they will degrade, but if you are dead set on displaying them there here are ways to protect them. There are five key factors to preservation of a display, (1) light, (2) temperature, (3) pollution, (4) moisture, (5) time.

Light: UV light is the enemy. Unfortuantely the sun is not the only source of harmful UV light. All light sources have some aspect in the ultraviolet range. So direct light exposure for any time should be avoided. The case should be in a controlled lighting environment. Any room where the light is turned on/off frequently should be avoided. Instead a consistently low lit room is advisable without windows facing south. UV films and conservation glass on the display case would be helpful in avoiding exposure. Direct contact with glass, which of course is reflective is very bad.

Temperature: Before placing cards in case, place cabinet where you wish it to be and place a high/low thermometer in the cabinet to monitor temperatures at various times of the day/year. Consistent temperatures should range from 45 - 70 degrees (with 50 degrees being ideal). Under glass is a suffocating, stifling hot environment.

Pollution: Where to start? Case should not be open and shut variety (or see a lot of use), but rather remain closed. Under glass the constant lifting every time you got a new card, some 524 times would be very bad. Plus, if the contents of a cup are spilled on the desk it will run under the glass. To avoid Off-gassing which can degrade cards the display case should be made of metal, plexiglass, or sealed woods. Using a silica gel pack in the case acts as an internal buffer and pollutant absorber. These act like stay fresh packs in beef jerky.

Moisture: The ideal relative humidity for archival display is 35-50%. Too dry and the card will warp, or crack. In an area of high humidity such as a coastal area, or the southeastern U.S. a dehumidifier is almost a must, and vice versa, a humidifier will be needed for drier regions.

Time: It is not recommended that any art, especially thin cardboard stock be displayed for longer than three months a year to maintain quality.

Of course, living in a sealed bubble with your cards is also not an option. I hope this helps.

dstraate
11-01-2011, 12:31 PM
so to summarize, never look at your card again.

brianp-beme
11-01-2011, 01:46 PM
Actually, it is still permissable to look at your cards, as long as it is completely dark and no light is visible. Enjoy!

ruth-gehrig
11-01-2011, 02:42 PM
Lol to the previous post:D. But seriously...I appreciate all the input on this. I would like to put together an attractive set that I can creatively display(safely) and enjoy without having to thumb through a binder. Oh well....I've got some time to think about it!:)

sycks22
11-01-2011, 07:47 PM
Tape them to an old book and sell it at auction for a boat load. I wish you luck in your monster quest.

Sixtofan
11-01-2011, 10:15 PM
You could always scan them and put the color scan under the desk glass. Not the same as the real card but you don't have to worry about damage. I bet it would look pretty cool.

murcerfan
11-02-2011, 07:26 AM
Time: It is not recommended that any art, especially thin cardboard stock be displayed for longer than three months a year to maintain quality.

I'm still kinda new to this...could you explain why time, in the absence of UV light, moisture and air born pollutants will ruin my cards?

... never realized those desiccant silica packs actively absorbed air-born pollution, I always thought they just absorbed water vapor and lowered humidity.

steve B
11-02-2011, 07:58 AM
Time varies a bit depending on the exact material.

Basically, exposure to what's typically considered display, framed and hung, or set out in a cabinet- any environment that offers easy and comfortable viewing- exposes an object to light, variable heat and humidity, and sometimes airborne chemicals. Most of them we'd call pollution, but the natural stuff like oxygen can be bad too.

T206s are on a pretty decent cardstock, and generally printed with good ink. So the effects are less than for some other items. The light fading the inks would likely be the worst part of things, with the potential to stick to the glass being second. I've removed a couple printed things stuck to glass and it's a bit tedious.

Newsprint is especially poor, even in really good storage. It's very acidic and degrades readily, becoming browned and brittle especially along folds.

One of the difficult things for collectors is balancing preservation with practical concerns. All the things stated about proper archival storage are correct. As are the comments about never looking at your cards. There's some happy medium for most collectibles, most cards will be fine stored the way most of us store them. In a binder on a shelf -not my favorite, as I find the pages slump unless I store them flat- or in a good quality holder in a box isn't a big problem. Just don't expect them to stay nice if they're propped up on a table in a sunny spot.

Institutions have a tougher time, often dealing with multiple types of items of varying materials, AND the need to allow access for display and research. As collectors we usually only worry about how things will be preserved within our lifetime. Museums have to worry about keeping things stable potentially for centuries(Some of the european museums have been active in some form long enough)

Steve B

timzcardz
11-02-2011, 08:57 AM
My suggestion . . .

As you acquire your cards, do a high resolution scan and print out an image on heavy stock. Then cut out and place under your glass for viewing pleasure, while the original is safely stored in a binder or other appropriate means. Heck, you can even rough up the edges of the copy as you feel appropriate.

You'll see "your" cards on a daily basis and when you want you'll pull out the originals and have full access to feel, smell, etc. You also won't hae to worry about that errant coffee spill that will find its way under the glass.

pariah1107
11-02-2011, 09:39 AM
Very well said Steve, and you nailed it; I collect newspapers (Cascade Miner 1893 - 1912), which are notoriously brittle (usually fragments), and of poor quality, and strip cards which are not nearly the quality of T206's.

Dessicant packs work well as a dehumidifier which can be effective in limiting the growth of molds and mildew, especially in old Washington state newspapers.

I only have one T206 (Hunky Shaw) and had to look at it last night :). Excellent quality, durable card. Really like the suggestions of scanning the card for display which would look great under glass on your desk. Best of luck on the monster!

ls7plus
11-02-2011, 11:44 PM
All humor aside, a lot of good advice here. I'm just delighted to see someone just 30 years of age take such an interest in such a great pre-war set.

May your collecting always be rewarding,

Larry

insidethewrapper
11-03-2011, 02:42 PM
Watch out for all the new lights on the market , I think they will be bad for collectables. The old lights will not be available much longer ( stock up ). Any experts on this subject ? New vs old light bulbs !!

I had some cards in a cabinet display with a light at a antique mall. They faded and an autograph is now barely visable.

ruth-gehrig
11-03-2011, 04:48 PM
Hey Larry,
Yeah I guess I've always been a little older than I really am. When I was growing up I was into the modern baseball cards but lost interest in them pretty fast. I appreciate the old stuff more. The new modern product doesn't appeal to me in the least. Now I am(was) strickly into old baseball memorabilia(primarily baseball advertising) but really do like the T206 set. I can appreciate a marathon. I don't even care if it takes me 20 years to complete. I've also thought about piecing together the T3 Turkey Red set. It's a beautiful set that combines baseball and art. I still love the advertising I guess I'm just branching out a bit on these 2 sets!:)
Take care,
Michael

rainier2004
11-03-2011, 05:03 PM
Michael:
Youve picked 2 pretty quality sets as your first and second. I am a lot like you in the fact that Im 34, ONLY collect vintage after collecting modern for a number of years and love to display things. The t206 simply overwhelm me and the t3's...well theyre the t3s. Good luck!