PDA

View Full Version : Any Help Identifying Postcard

bjcunningham
10-27-2011, 07:56 AM
I picked this up on eBay today and was wondering if anyone could identify the baseball player.

I believe the postcard would be originally from Ontario, as the seller was and most of the other items they are selling are as well, and they had dated it as 1911 or 1912.

I was wondering if it were Jack Slattery from this photo:

http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/I?cdn:1:./temp/~ammem_hcBc::displayType=1:m856sd=ichicdn:m856sf=s 001844

As he played in Toronto at that time. But that's my best guess and I haven't come across a photo of him from the side, to really eliminate him as an option.

Runscott
10-27-2011, 10:36 AM
I picked this up on eBay today and was wondering if anyone could identify the baseball player.

I believe the postcard would be originally from Ontario, as the seller was and most of the other items they are selling are as well, and they had dated it as 1911 or 1912.

I like it, but I have to tell you - photos that don't include professionals are a real dead area on these forums. I collect them for aesthetic value - would much rather have a well-composed photo of nobodies, than a fuzzy crappy picture of Babe Ruth, but I'm definitely in the minority. This one looks pretty cool - nice pick-up.

Hey Leon - how about a new sub-forum: "pre-war photographs that don't have professionals"? Seriously, I think there are 2-3 of us who would be all over it.