PDA

View Full Version : Not always...but sometimes, you should take the money

Leon
10-26-2011, 06:24 PM
Not always, but sometimes, you should take the money. I offered this guy $200 for this old book before there were any bids. He said he would rather take his chances. Now I get to add a few non-sports stamps to this very scarce set. He is a very nice older gentleman. I almost felt bad for him.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160663163440

Jay Wolt
10-26-2011, 06:31 PM
Leon on the flip side its cool that he didn't end the auction early, cause he could have done it prior to you seeing the lot.

Leon
10-26-2011, 06:43 PM
Leon on the flip side its cool that he didn't end the auction early, cause he could have done it prior to you seeing the lot.

Hi Jay
Good point.... He and I had quite the communications and I am sure he was hoping for more than $200. The stamps are in poor condition or would have been worth more. I thought my offer was more than fair, given the condition issues, but what do I know?

iggyman
10-26-2011, 07:03 PM
Congrats Leon! Good hunting on your part, that is part of what makes this hobby fun/exciting in the 21st century (at least for me).

From a sellers perspective, accepting buy-it-now offers on "unique items" is always a tough call.....................I would venture to say that your scenario is the exception. The vast majority of buyers will do much better by letting their eBay auctions run their natural course.

Lovely Day...

Leon
10-26-2011, 07:36 PM
I agree Iggy. This was more the exception than the rule by a long shot. I kind of worded the subject to reflect the thought but should have worded it better. More like- "Not too often but every now and then" ;)

bbcard1
10-27-2011, 05:31 AM
I sold an APBA set early. I had tracked it, had a very good (maybe 20% more than I thought it would go for) offer from someone who really wanted it...why not?

Exhibitman
10-27-2011, 06:26 AM
I've had that happen a few times and I always hold my breath hoping that the seller won't renege when he sees I won for a fraction of my offer. Hasn't happened yet ;)

Bicem
10-27-2011, 06:42 AM
I've had sellers add a reserve of my offer price after I've made an offer, pretty smart move actually.

mintacular
10-27-2011, 06:59 AM
For some reason I think most sellers have a sneaky suspicion that accepting an offer like this might come back to bite them, that there may be some hidden treasure in there and that it is saftest to allow competing buyers to determine market value rather than accept a shot in the dark offer

sportscardpete
10-27-2011, 09:28 AM
I've had sellers add a reserve of my offer price after I've made an offer, pretty smart move actually.

Wow that is pretty smart.

Section103
10-27-2011, 09:48 AM
I have a real hard time accepting offers on the few things Ive put up for auction. Its just a mental thing for me, almost a principle. But clearly, the guy should have taken the offer. I have respect for the guy if he followed through on the transaction without too much grumbling.

iggyman
10-27-2011, 10:02 AM
Wow that is pretty smart.

With a reserve on the offer price, you presumably will get at least what was offered. So, "yes" it "could" definitely be a smart "check-mate" move.

However my dear Watson, as a buyer, when I see a reserve auction, I usually just keep right on going and I happen to know I'm not the only one.

Thus, my conclusion: without the benefit of a crystal ball or Ms Cleo coming out of retirement, you just never know what the best path will be.

Lovely Day...

sportscardpete
10-27-2011, 10:16 AM
Coming out of retirement or jail? I never knew where Mrs. Cleo ended up (although it's pretty funny a vintage card thread refers to Cleo haha).

I do skip a few reserve auctions, but I still think that setting a reserve on a card you are worried may sell for much less than anticipated, is a good, safe strategy. Bad for a bargain type buyer, but good for a seller.

Exhibitman
10-27-2011, 10:20 AM
If there's no bids yet why not just edit the listing to start at the minimum of the offer?

Runscott
10-27-2011, 10:39 AM
If there's no bids yet why not just edit the listing to start at the minimum of the offer?

Yep, that or add the reserve as suggested earlier.

But I totally agree with NOT ending auctions early, regardless of whether or not there are bids - some, like me, have snipes waiting (don't want to get into why I do it that way, as that's fodder for a separate black hole thread).

If I want something really badly, I contact the seller and ask them to please contact me if they are considering (at someone else's request) ending the auction early.