PDA

View Full Version : (2) New Catalog Additions, Louis Sockalexis

prewarsports
10-25-2011, 11:41 AM
Many of you know that I collect Louis Sockalexis memorabilia and have for years. I usually only add an item or two per year but was lucky enough to acquire two new items this month, both of which are previously uncataloged items.

First is an early season 1897 pinback featuring Louis Sockalexis. Although not listed, it was found in the Cleveland area so it can almost certainly be dated to the Spring of 1897 when Sockalexis fever took over Cleveland and this was almost certainly a regional maker. It is only the second example to documented in the hobby (I dont think the other known example has ever traded hands publicly) and predates the Cameo Pepsin Baseball Pinback set. So it is not only a rare Sockalexis item but is the first pin of a baseball player (individual) that I know of. It measures 1.5 inches and has a pewter rim as well as an unusual mechanism on the back.

Second is a Real Photo postcard of Louis Sockalexis' brother Andrew Sockalexis who was a famous Marathon Runner and Athlete. What makes this special is that it was made by the Louis Orr Co. of Old Town Maine and now confirms that the famous postcard made by Orr of Louis Sockalexis was actually a (2) card set made of the famous brothers and not just a postcard made of the Baseball Star.

Anyways, I know there are a lot of other Sockalexis fans out there that might want to see the newly discovered items and at the very least they can be added to the card/memorabilia price guides.

Rhys Yeakley

ghostmarcelle
10-25-2011, 12:19 PM
Great stuff

slidekellyslide
10-25-2011, 12:27 PM
That pin is awesome..congrats Rhys!

Can you show us the L Sockalexis postcard again?

bcbgcbrcb
10-25-2011, 01:00 PM
Rhys:

Wasn't there a Cleveland Spiders team pin, also from around 1897, which pictured cameo portraits of all players? It was in one of the major auctions a few years ago and included Cy Young & Jesse Burkett. If I remember correctly, the rim was kind of similar to this one, I wonder if there is a connection?

prewarsports
10-25-2011, 01:32 PM
I dont remember a Cleveland Spiders pin but I would love to see it if anyone else remembers it. Here is the postcard I got earlier this year which is unique and is from when he was in the Maine State League. Contrary to popular misconception he did clean himself up and as can be seen from the image was in good shape when the photo was taken in 1907.

Rhys

Leon
10-25-2011, 07:17 PM
Congrats Rhys. Very nice additions indeed. Love the pin...

Baseball Rarities
10-25-2011, 07:18 PM
Wow. Great pin. I like the fact that he is identified on the pin as well.

joeadcock
10-25-2011, 07:27 PM
Nice Rhys

Jaybird
10-25-2011, 10:48 PM
Great finds! Thanks for sharing.

terjung
10-26-2011, 08:44 AM
Fantastic addition! Great contrast on that pin too.
Congratulations!

ullmandds
10-26-2011, 09:14 AM
great additions/finds Rhys! I love the muscle definition on the pc of Louie's leg!