PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Post Card Question & Show 'Em Thread

iggyman
10-23-2011, 01:34 PM
I picked up this postcard recently for a whopping $10. I"m not a post card aficionado, but to me this postcard was way way way too cool to past-up. First of all, it instantly reminded me of one of my favorite photos of my dad, which features him as a "20-year old" at an office party (from 1939) with black Cubans and white Cubans arms locked around each other and big smiles on their faces. Secondly, and please excuse my ignorance, but how many PC exist from the 19th or early 20th century (I'm sure there are a few) which publicize a baseball team with an African American in the picture. If you have one, lets see 'em (pretty please!).

By the way, the seller mentioned this card was probably from 1910 and perhaps is/was of a team from the Olivia, MN area...................since it came from a collection that featured other items from that area.

Lovely Day...

Brian Campf
10-23-2011, 03:48 PM
Delete

iggyman
10-23-2011, 03:55 PM
Thank you Brian! Much appreciated. After a quick google search, here is some more info on the pc, I'll post it here for prosperity sake:

"Postally used on September 28, 1909 to and from Salem, Oregon, the message reads, "Dear L., this is a picture of our ball team. Many thanks for the basket of fruit." The players have an "H" on their caps and an "H" in a star on their jerseys. The "H" apparently stood for the "House" baseball team; the same image was identified as such in the book Playing for Time, The Death Row All Stars by Chris Enss."

Lovely Day...

2dueces
10-23-2011, 05:10 PM
No matter who they were, that's a great postcard. Times have changed everywhere. Unless I'm totally off base, gangs and weights have replaced a good old baseball game in prison. Nice pick up

joeadcock
10-23-2011, 05:29 PM
Cool postcard Iggy and Brian

pgellis
10-23-2011, 08:51 PM
Here's my postcard of my grandfather in the Cape Cod Baseball League. Front Row, Left. (1939)

iggyman
10-27-2011, 12:50 PM
One last bump before I put this thread to bed.

Okay, it should be obvious that I'm not a totally committed postcard dude, but I want to get one thing straight. With all the thousand"s" of early 20th century team postcards that exist, nobody else from our Net54 universe has an interracial postcard to display?????????? The best we can do is a prison team! I find that hard to believe!

Hello, anybody?????

Lovely Day....

P.S........Nice Cape Cod team postcard Phil, that certainly exceeds the "way cool" speed limit. Oh, and if I might add, I can certainly see the family resemblance. Tough break for you though....................................good looks always tend to skip a generation :).

Runscott
10-27-2011, 01:01 PM
One last bump before I put this thread to bed.

Okay, it should be obvious that I'm not a totally committed postcard dude, but I want to get one thing straight. With all the thousand"s" of early 20th century team postcards that exist, nobody else from our Net54 universe has an interracial postcard to display?????????? The best we can do is a prison team! I find that hard to believe!

Hello, anybody?????

Lovely Day....

P.S........Nice Cape Cod team postcard Phil, that certainly exceeds the "way cool" speed limit. Oh, and if I might add, I can certainly see the family resemblance. Tough break for you though....................................good looks always tend to skip a generation :).

I have a couple of interracial cabinet team photos, and many RPPC's, but no interracial RPPC's. Nice pick-up.

Ladder7
10-27-2011, 02:04 PM
Not what your after, significant image nonetheless;

1909 Jax vs Sav;
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c327/oche16/Sports%20Postcards/2.png

Runscott
10-27-2011, 02:14 PM
Holy cow. That's amazing.

If you have any desire to trade/sell that one, please contact me.

slidekellyslide
10-27-2011, 02:26 PM
Early postcards of integrated teams that aren't prison teams or barnstorming teams are not easy to find.

I had questions about his postcard circa 1910 Seward, NE..the fellow in the bottom row named Browning (#10) appears as though he may be African American or Native American, but I could never find anything out about this team.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b331/nudan92/Nebraska%20Town%20Team%20Photos%20and%20Postcards/pcseward.jpg

docpatlv
10-27-2011, 06:35 PM
Here's another one Iggy...

Mike

http://i488.photobucket.com/albums/rr248/docpatadc/1910sTeamPCCubanPlayer.jpg

triwak
10-28-2011, 02:42 PM
Is that a cardboard cutout of the team owner/sponser that they propped up behind, cause he couldn't make the photo shoot??? Funny! Also, the standing mascot kid looks a lot like the cutout. Maybe his son???