PDA

View Full Version : OT -- Last Night -- Greatness personified

Rich Klein
10-23-2011, 07:35 AM
I was fortunate enough to be in the stands for the third batter to hit three homers in a World Series game.

We've talked about this before, but that game ranks among the great feats I've seen in person, what are some of yours>

Rich

sportscardpete
10-23-2011, 10:15 AM
He simply is amazing. And for what he is getting paid now, he is a complete bargain... Congrats on going to a fantastic game. This is one of the few rare moments in modern day sports that will be remembered for years to come, especially if the Cardinals win it all..

barrysloate
10-23-2011, 10:23 AM
What's most interesting is he didn't even hit the first one until the 6th inning. The chances of hitting three that late in the game are miniscule.

ElCabron
10-23-2011, 11:24 AM
Two greatest:

1. In high school saw Mike Lieberthal hit for the cycle in homers in a game. Solo, 2-run, 3-run, grand slam.

2. I had kidney stones and went yard at a co-ed softball game. Could barely round the bases. Anyone who's ever had kidney stones will realize how incredible this is. I wound up going to the ER later that day.

-Ryan

Steve D
10-23-2011, 02:47 PM
I'd thought about trying to get a ticket to the game and driving up from San Antonio, but decided against it :( Not that I could've gotten a ticket anyway.

Talk about a Monster game.....tied the record for most home runs in a World Series game, tied the record for most RBIs in a World Series Game, and tied the record for most hits in a World Series game!!!

I think Pujols also became the first player in World Series history to have hits in four consecutive innings!

I've been to three memorable games:

Fergie Jenkins' 3,000th K in San Diego
Nolan Ryan pitching a 1-hitter in San Diego
Nolan Ryan's 7th no hitter in Arlington

Steve

powderfinger
10-23-2011, 03:13 PM
I was at Nolan Ryan's 300th win in Milwaukee a few years back!

ChiefBenderForever
10-23-2011, 07:07 PM
Game was a blowout, third one was not a big deal as the towel was already thrown in, not to mention against the Rangers, comparing this to what the Mr. October did is a complete joke, needs a dozen asterisks......

sando69
10-23-2011, 08:09 PM
exactly what makes yankee fans sooooooo loved & respected globally :rolleyes:

Cerberus
10-23-2011, 08:50 PM
"....comparing this to what the Mr. October did is a complete joke, needs a dozen asterisks......

You mean intentionally and illegally throwing your hip into a throw, between first and second? You're quite right--no comparison.

doug.goodman
10-23-2011, 10:18 PM
Game was a blowout, third one was not a big deal as the towel was already thrown in, not to mention against the Rangers, comparing this to what the Mr. October did is a complete joke, needs a dozen asterisks......

The man hit 3 home runs in a World Series game. The fourth time it's happened in 620 +/- games. I don't care if it's against the local little league team, since they're in the World Series they must be pretty good.

When Ruth did it in 1928 it was with his team leading 3 games to none and ahead by 4 runs in the 8th, are you going to claim that his was a joke, too?

Doug

mets41
10-24-2011, 01:02 AM
I was at Yankee Stadium in 1985 for Tom Seaver's 300th win (I went with Ted Z who shows up here) and at the Vet in Philly for Kevin Mulwood's no hitter against the Giants in 1993.

HRBAKER
10-24-2011, 04:29 AM

I imagine if Albert looked out and saw Burt Hooton, Elias Sosa and that Charlie Hough he would have feigned illness.

ChiefBenderForever
10-24-2011, 05:32 AM
Sorry I'm not impressed, game was garbage, more meatballs thrown than are in Little Italy. Congrats to the Rangers last night. I guess Barry Bonds is the Home Run King.

tiger8mush
10-24-2011, 05:55 AM
exactly what makes yankee fans sooooooo loved & respected globally :rolleyes:

I could be wrong, but I think he's a red sox fan

71buc
10-25-2011, 11:42 PM
Albert Puljos is a throwback to an era of players who comported themselves with class and dignity. I believe that he is quite likely the greatest hitting first baseman to ever play the game. We are blessed that he is playing in our lifetime. Reggie was not half the hitter that Puljos is, but lordy he was entertaining. I miss his brash style. He was quite possibly the antithesis of Albert. I would love to hate a player today as much as I did Reggie in my youth. He was an interesting and polarizing personality. He didn't play for the spot light he brought his own to the party with him. Reggie always talked the talk and walked the walk. Every time he stepped into the box was an event. Even though I despised him when he was playing I greatly miss him and the emotion he provoked in me. In comparison today's players are bland. That being said Reggie's night was electrifying and Albert's workmanlike and dignified as always

RichardSimon
10-26-2011, 08:44 AM
I was at Jim Bunning's perfect game.

Fred
10-26-2011, 09:04 AM
It's going to be tough to add to his WS lore when Washington keeps walking him. You really can't blame Washington, he wants to win this WS and Pujols is between him and a ring. Texas still needs to win one more (in St. Louis) so this isn't close to being over...

bosoxfan
10-26-2011, 09:22 AM
Texas will win if La Russa and the cardinals keep running themselves out of ball games especially with their best player at the plate.

insidethewrapper
10-26-2011, 09:28 AM
LaRussa must not be over managing anymore, now he is allowing his players to call "hit & run " plays without his knowledge. Albert just needs to play ball and not think he can also manage. He doesn't appear to be enjoying the game like Miguel Cabrera does. Loosen up Big Al, have fun.

tbob
10-26-2011, 09:43 AM
Watching Jack Morris pitch Game 7 of the 1991 World Series, 10 shoutout innings for the win. Arguably the greatest game pitched ever in a WS and yes I know about Larsen's perfect game but that wasn't a Game 7 and didn't end the Series. Besides Smoltz matched him pitch for pitch until he left in the 10th inning. The 1991 WS is arguably the greatest Series ever played but because New York and Boston and the Dodgers and Giants weren't involved, it will never get its due. All those games decided at the end but one. Just incredible. :p

triwak
10-26-2011, 10:54 AM
It's going to be tough to add to his WS lore when Washington keeps walking him. You really can't blame Washington, he wants to win this WS and Pujols is between him and a ring. Texas still needs to win one more (in St. Louis) so this isn't close to being over...

It's totally up to Holliday and Berkman (who SHOULD be batting cleanup). Holliday has really been a bust - especially since the finger injury. No power at all = No fear.