PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever heard of "Flicker Flippers" circa 1962-1963

Scott Garner
10-21-2011, 07:49 AM
I was wondering if anyone on the board remembers a product called Flicker Flippers from the early 1960's?

These were supposedly flip books showing various baseball (and other sport) stars in action. I just purchased Johnny Vander Meer's signed contract and I noticed that an eBay seller is also trying to sell a similar contract signed by Jimmy Foxx in 1962.

Any info that you have would be greatly appreciated. Here is a photo of the Vander Meer Flicker Flipper contract that I just purchased.

Thanks! :)

thekingofclout
10-21-2011, 08:21 AM
Jeez Scott. How the hell did you nail Vandy's contract? You've had an incredible year and it still has 10 weeks to go! :eek:

Scott Garner
10-21-2011, 08:49 AM
Jeez Scott. How the hell did you nail Vandy's contract? You've had an incredible year and it still has 10 weeks to go! :eek:

Jimmy,
A $9.99 BIN on eBay a couple of days ago. Pretty cool!
You can buy the Jimmy Foxx version of this contract for only $1500. For under $10, I like my deal better LOL ;)

BillyCoxDodgers3B
10-22-2011, 09:38 AM
I have Fran Tarkenton's contract (and related paperwork) for this game, as well as a couple of game cards featuring Bob Feller. They are playing card size, with machine-rounded corners and are on thin stock. Does anybody know how the game was supposed to be played?

Butch7999
10-23-2011, 08:44 AM
Topps did some foto flip-books in the early '60s, but we're not familiar with the "Flicker Flippers" title -- could've been changed between the time of the contract and the time of publication, but "Topps Archives" guy "toppcat" Dave would know...

Not to derail the thread, but Jodi's note intrigues us -- for all the games we've catalogued, including several Feller-endorsed, we can't think of one with Feller-backed cards (maybe it's just too early on a Sunday). Jodi, we'd much appreciate a scan...

Scott Garner
10-23-2011, 11:24 AM
Topps did some foto flip-books in the early '60s, but we're not familiar with the "Flicker Flippers" title -- could've been changed between the time of the contract and the time of publication, but "Topps Archives" guy "toppcat" Dave would know...

Not to derail the thread, but Jodi's note intrigues us -- for all the games we've catalogued, including several Feller-endorsed, we can't think of one with Feller-backed cards (maybe it's just too early on a Sunday). Jodi, we'd much appreciate a scan...

I agree Jodi. Could you please show us what these look like?

BillyCoxDodgers3B
10-23-2011, 04:56 PM
Sorry fellows, a scan is impossible for me to do at this time. I can tell you that this game appears to have originated out of Cleveland IIRC. It has nothing to do with Topps, but was rather the creation of an independent game or novelty company.

Scott Garner
10-24-2011, 11:37 AM
Sorry fellows, a scan is impossible for me to do at this time. I can tell you that this game appears to have originated out of Cleveland IIRC. It has nothing to do with Topps, but was rather the creation of an independent game or novelty company.

Hi Jodi,
No problem. BTW, what is Cleveland IIRC? I'm not sure that I know what IIRC stands for.

I received my contract today. I thought I would send a scan of the complete contract which does a pretty good job of describing what a Flicker Flipper is (flip book). It doesn't sound like it's the same idea as the game cards that you are describing Jodi.

I'm wondering if this was a novelty toy idea that never saw light of day, at least as far as the flip book idea went.....

I would love to hear from anyone that has seen one of the flip books if they actually exist. Thanks!

BillyCoxDodgers3B
10-24-2011, 12:10 PM
"IIRC" = If I recall correctly. Thus, I seem to recall that the novelty company was from Cleveland. Without having the material in hand, I could be mistaken. The seller of the old documentation was also from the Cleveland area.

Actually, you may have a point there, Scott. A couple of the cards I describe were in with the Tarkenton items, so I assumed they must have something to do with the game. They were in uncirculated condition. Like Scott, this also led me to believe that this product may have been an idea that never quite got off the ground. If it interests anybody, perhaps they could check on the patent info to learn more. The paperwork I have seen all dates to 1961-63. Sorry, I don't have any more to share.

Scott Garner
10-24-2011, 01:51 PM
"IIRC" = If I recall correctly. Thus, I seem to recall that the novelty company was from Cleveland. Without having the material in hand, I could be mistaken. The seller of the old documentation was also from the Cleveland area.

Actually, you may have a point there, Scott. A couple of the cards I describe were in with the Tarkenton items, so I assumed they must have something to do with the game. They were in uncirculated condition. Like Scott, this also led me to believe that this product may have been an idea that never quite got off the ground. If it interests anybody, perhaps they could check on the patent info to learn more. The paperwork I have seen all dates to 1961-63. Sorry, I don't have any more to share.

Jodi,
I think you may be correct about the Cleveland connection. When I received my contract today it came from Westlake, OH which is, in fact, a nicer suburb of Cleveland. Thanks for offering your feedback.

TomKovacs
10-24-2011, 10:38 PM
Hi Scott-
I purchased an autographed Flicker Flipper reply postcard a couple years ago from the same ebay seller you purchased your contract from. I asked the seller if he knew if Flicker Flippers were ever produced, this is what he told me…
“My father in-law invented the Flicker Flippers game and was about to go into production with Fleer, when many of the player's agents found out. The players were enthusiastic but not giving them their cut, naturally the money aspect killed the whole thing. Fortunately my father in law saved about 80 of these reply cards and about 100 of the signed contracts.”

Scott Garner
10-25-2011, 04:37 AM
Hi Scott-
I purchased an autographed Flicker Flipper reply postcard a couple years ago from the same ebay seller you purchased your contract from. I asked the seller if he knew if Flicker Flippers were ever produced, this is what he told me…
“My father in-law invented the Flicker Flippers game and was about to go into production with Fleer, when many of the player's agents found out. The players were enthusiastic but not giving them their cut, naturally the money aspect killed the whole thing. Fortunately my father in law saved about 80 of these reply cards and about 100 of the signed contracts.”

Tom,
Welcome to net54!
This is terrific background info! I wonder why the seller didn't give me the same info when I posed the same question?

Too bad these didn't come to fruition, but at least now I have the story. What did the reply card look like? Do you mind posting a scan if it's not too much trouble or describe what the the content of the reply card was?
Thanks!!

TomKovacs
10-29-2011, 11:14 AM
Thank you Scott! Here is my Flicker Flippers autographed postcard

Scott Garner
10-29-2011, 11:50 AM
Hey Tom,
Thanks for posting the picture of one of the response postcards. Very cool!