PDA

View Full Version : Should PSA/SGC have a qualifier for Centering?

Brianruns10
10-19-2011, 02:32 PM
I mean, given how qualitative grading a card can be, centering is one thing that is fairly absolute...just measure with a rule, have a margin of error, and if it falls outside it's not centered, and if it does, then you say, "PSA ExMt 6 Centered" or something. Since they offer qualifiers like OC and MC, why not for the other end of the spectrum?

For one thing, this might help tremendously when it comes to figuring how much of a premium to place on centered cards. For example, I collect 52 Topps, which are rather notorious for centering problems, and some cards are non-existent in centered examples. So when one turns up on ebay, they go for a premium over SMR, as they should, because they have that great eye appeal that a non-centered card has less of. But it's hard to figure how much of a premium, because how many centered examples are there? Wouldn't it be worth cataloging in the pop reports centered examples, to judge premiums? If there is, say, only 3 centered examples of a card across all grades, I'll certainly pay more over SMR even if it's a PSA 5...I'd rather have a that than an off center 7.

Also, a centering notation would be very helpful for catalogue listings or in cases where an image is not available. I get catalogs from various dealers, but I'm not so inclined to buy cards this way because even if they're PSA or SGC, without a centering notation, I've no idea what the alignment of the card is like. Of course I always buy the card, not the plastic, but I tend not to bother. If there was a centering notation, I'd be more inclined to follow up, and say, "Do you have a picture?"

Not to mention, PSA seems to factor in centering in the overall grade, which is potentially misleading. A 10 card that isn't centered usually gets bumped to a 9, whereas I've seen cards that definitely looked worse than the grade they were given, and I suspected their centering inflated the grade. I'd much rather the two be separate, as centering is a part of the manufacture, and condition has to do with the life of the card once it leaves the pack. I card without centering should still be able to fetch a 10, while a crummy card with excellent centering shouldn't benefit from "grade inflation" due to the eye appeal.

Well that's my spiel. What do you all think?

steve B
10-19-2011, 03:00 PM
I used to think that way, but I've bowed to popular opinion that centering is part of the grade.

There are lots of manufacturing problems that could be treated that way, but I don't know of many people who would accept a high grade for a poorly manufactured card.

How about one that got caught in the wrapper sealing machine? Corrugated top edge about 1/4 of an inch into the card. But it's been in a toploader since new, so it's mint right?

Same for print streaks? Fisheyes? Cards printed on cardboard that was creased before the card was printed? Cards creased before cutting?

I have examples of all those and more. If centering is out of grading because it's part of manufacturing, then all those should be out too.

I'd be ok with a grade based purely on preservation, but it would be very hard to make sense of.

Steve B
(Now where's that bit of cutting debris I got from 95 classic draft picks...Off to PSA!)

novakjr
10-19-2011, 03:51 PM
For the most part that's what the .5 grade is. Sure, on occasion there are other factors, but many times it's above grade centering that will get you the half...

vintagetoppsguy
10-19-2011, 04:14 PM
For the most part that's what the .5 grade is. Sure, on occasion there are other factors, but many times it's above grade centering that will get you the half...

Agreed.

I hate the O/C qualifier anyway. If a seller provides decent scans (and I know that's the key) of the front and back of a card, the buyer can judge for themselves the centering/eye appeal. If a buyer needs a qualifier to tell them a card is O/C, then they're probably in the wrong hobby.

U240robert
10-20-2011, 11:49 AM
I agree with the above.
If the buyer needs a qualifier to tell him if it's centered then he is clueless.
It seems the qualifiers affect the unqualified more.
So many are on ebay to buy cards for investments or to turn quickly, a qualifier scars them off.
It bugs me when I see a PSA 8 (OC) and the card is just slightly off- it still a beautiful card but now it has been tag with the qualifier, which is the leprosy of card collecting.
If I get a card that is a PSA 7 or 8 and has a OC on it, I'll break the card open and sell it raw. I'll leave it to the collector to decide if he wants the card or now.

Doug
10-20-2011, 12:28 PM
I've never been a fan of qualifiers to begin with. I think PSA should just factor centering, marks, print defects, etc into the overall grade of the card. SGC and BVG seem to do just fine grading cards without needing qualifiers. The above statement "If a buyer need a qualifier to tell them a card is O/C, then they're probably in the wrong hobby" pretty much sums it up for me.

insidethewrapper
10-20-2011, 01:44 PM
Instead of a qualifier such as PSA 8 (OC), it should be PSA 6 because it is (OC).

GasHouseGang
10-20-2011, 05:18 PM
A lot of collectors won't collect cards with qualifiers. So I often have asked PSA to grade my submissions without qualifiers. If it turns an 8OC into a 6 so be it. It will be easier to sell when the time comes. I wish people would just collect the card instead of relying on the label.

Brianruns10
10-22-2011, 09:57 AM
You all make good points, and I agree that in most respects it should be a moot issue, since one buys the card, not the plastic.

But I still think a centering designation could be useful in this regard: for the purpose of tracking populations, and better determining scarcity and premiums in pricing. If a card can be fairly readily had with good centering, then the premium on centering will be low. But if PSA only has one or two examples of a card that is centered, and one turns up, well then that better enables one to decide to pay more.

And in some cases, I wonder if any centered examples exist at all? Like the 52 Sal Yvars...I have yet to see one that is neither off center nor diamond cut. I would like a centered one, but if indeed if it were possible to know that PSA had or hadn't ever graded a centered example, then I would necessarily adjust my standards. To know, "Okay, there are no centered examples, or only one or two, so this example for sale is the next best thing..I shall buy it, etc., etc."