PDA

View Full Version : November 4-6 Shriners show . who is going?

GrayGhost
10-19-2011, 10:27 AM
There may be a thread on this, if so, someone link me. Anyways, Im HOPING to at least be able to go/walk around, if I can get some funds. Who else is going, and what do you hope to find in Wilmington, at New England's finest show?

tcdyess
10-19-2011, 11:53 AM
I have gone to this show several times. I will be there wearing my new Net 54 T-shirt barring any unforseen events that my wife or kids haven't told me about yet. Perhaps we can arrange for a Net 54 assembly....

Tim

Ronnie73
10-19-2011, 01:00 PM
I've never been to that show but sounds tempting. Just gotta see if I have the time, I'm a little over 2 hours away, and if I have enough cash at the time to make it worth while.;)

GrayGhost
10-19-2011, 01:03 PM
its a FANTASTIC show, or used to be. I set up before the theft a couple times and attended several. Been a few years. I don't care if I don't have many funds. I have dealer friends there and LOVE looking at the stuff, Plus, I love the snackbar food;) I REALLY hope to Make it, prob Saturday.

bunst
10-19-2011, 02:26 PM
Yeah, that is a good show or at least it was the last time went (6 years ago?) Does anybody know if SGC will be there to accept submissions?

Ronnie73
10-19-2011, 03:21 PM
SGC does not list this show on their website but the show flyer does say card grading but not by who. Here is a link to the flyer. http://www.sureshotpromotions.com/graphics/images/flyers/November%20GBSCC%20Shriners%20Show%202011_1.pdf

carrigansghost
10-19-2011, 04:21 PM
I hope to attend on Saturday and sport the NET54 t-shirt.

Rawn

scooter729
10-19-2011, 04:46 PM
The past few years, we've done a Net54 meet-up on Saturday at noon at this show. It's always been great to get together with some of the folks from here.

I'll plan on being there Saturday at noon - let's hope to keep our tradition going!

The meet-up spot is usually the area as soon as you walk into the autograph room, just past the snack bar (right around the bar area).

Hope to see many folks there from Net54!
Scott

scooter729
10-19-2011, 04:48 PM
BTW - the show is Nov 4-6 (Friday - Sunday), not Nov 3-5.

Here is the link to the show:
http://www.gbscc.com/convention.html

GrayGhost
10-20-2011, 06:40 AM
Thx Scooter. I'll fix

peterb69
10-20-2011, 08:39 AM
This normally is a very good show and only 1 of 2 shows I still try to attend every year. I live about 2 hours away, but funds are very low this year. But it still is a good show to just look. Normmally a lot of items (both cards & memorabila) you don't often see.

jbsports33
10-20-2011, 06:35 PM
Scott,

I will have a table at the show, hope to see you and some of the other Net54 members!!!

Jimmy

GoldenAge50s
10-20-2011, 06:45 PM
SGC has been at this show for several yrs running---I can't imagine them NOT being there. PSA as well.

bigred1
10-21-2011, 05:28 PM
helping out a friend at show, have heard it is one of his favorites

aelefson
10-21-2011, 05:45 PM
Hi-
I will definitely be there on Saturday. Let's do the usual meetup at noon near the snackbar. Most years we have gotten at least 5 or 6 folks, but I know there are many more Net54ers who attend the show that do not attend the meetup. I am hoping for 10 or more this year! For those folks who have never been, this show has over a hundred dealers, and a large percentage of them have prewar items. I am looking forward to the meetup.
Alan Elefson
aelefson@hotmail.com

wolterse
10-21-2011, 08:52 PM
Hi everyone, I won't be able to make it this year. I'll be at a friend's wedding. Sorry I'll miss the get together...have fun!

GrayGhost
10-22-2011, 07:42 AM
Hi-
I will definitely be there on Saturday. Let's do the usual meetup at noon near the snackbar. Most years we have gotten at least 5 or 6 folks, but I know there are many more Net54ers who attend the show that do not attend the meetup. I am hoping for 10 or more this year! For those folks who have never been, this show has over a hundred dealers, and a large percentage of them have prewar items. I am looking forward to the meetup.
Alan Elefson
aelefson@hotmail.com

I would be up for that. I will know w/in a week or so, if Im going . I just want to look too mainly, as its like a mini national in my eyes. Plus, I have a RIDICULOUS Red Sox item I may either get signed, or try and sell. haha.

TUM301
10-22-2011, 09:49 AM
I`ll be there sat all day. Good show !

carrigansghost
10-26-2011, 04:34 PM
I'll have a large portion of my collection with me for sale or consignment.

Rawn

aquarius31
10-30-2011, 09:05 AM
Sounds like a great show...I'll see you guys there on Saturday!

Does anyone know whether SGC or PSA will be there?

GrayGhost
10-30-2011, 09:08 AM
I hope to be there depending on things. The major storm and other stuff has fouled me up in a few ways.

bunst
10-30-2011, 09:20 AM
I asked and got response from Earl at SGC confirming that they will be there. Not sure about PSA.

aquarius31
10-30-2011, 09:23 AM
I asked and got response from Earl at SGC confirming that they will be there. Not sure about PSA.

That's great news...thanks Brian!

scooter729
11-03-2011, 07:10 PM
Hey guys, because of the storm and being without power for most of the week, I won't be able to make it on Saturday - bunch of things to do that I couldn't do all week.

But I will be going on Friday afternoon, so I look forward to seeing those who will be there on Friday!

Scott

GrayGhost
11-04-2011, 05:50 AM
I may make the meeting. I will be at the show. When/Where is the meeting again?

bh3443
11-04-2011, 05:53 AM
Welcome to everyone attending the GBSCC show! This is the area that I promoted thousands of shows from the late 1970's until I got sick in 2008.

I wish I was able to attend and see so many of you wonderful friends from our community in the area as well as our home here on Net 54.

I live in Framingham which is about 40 minutes away. If anyone has time and would like to get a coffee or drink in my area, I will be around all day Friday.
Just message me or call me!

I will be in Newburyport with my wife, children and grand-children the rest of the weekend.

I just want to welcome all attendees to my home area. We have a rich hobby history in Massachusetts. I can still remember when the club was formed by such dear friends including Hall's Nostalgia, and the late Bill Carvalho and Billy Gradzewicz.

I simply hope you all enjoy the event and add some nice items to your collection. The show is a real treat for all that attend.

I am very proud to be heading into 2012 with the security that our hobby is in great hands with Net 54 being the focal point of our shared interests. I find comfort in knowing that collecting has a real headquarters with our great leader, Leon, and so many great members.

It's an honor and a privilege to be a part of something great: Net 54!

Enjoy your weekend,

Bill Hedin

carrigansghost
11-04-2011, 03:35 PM
Any show news? I have a couple of totes packed to bring, kind of brings back memories of X-mas as a kid.

Rawn

toppcat
11-04-2011, 04:20 PM
I suspect the show could take a hit from the October Surprise snowstorm.

carrigansghost
11-04-2011, 04:44 PM
Was in western Mass working this week, just a little snow, no big deal and the temps were in the 60's.

Rawn

talkinbaseball
11-04-2011, 04:59 PM
As Bill said,
You're in for a real Treat.
If he is there.
Stop by and say hi to Robert(Bob)Thing.

Talk about good people and the rich tradition of the hobby.
He goes way back to the early start of the hobby.

talkin baseball-

john d. guzze

scooter729
11-05-2011, 04:53 AM
The show was fairly typical on Friday for the Shriners show, for anyone who has attended before. Plenty of vintage dealers, but many of whom are priced 2-3x what you might find online these days. Some incredible pieces to look at, but at the prices, you start to see some of the same pieces each year with the same dealers. OH, and there's always going to be a great Levi Bleam hat sighting at the show!

I should mention I was able to find many fairly-priced T206 commons through Kevin Savage, who had them priced (with stickers and all on the card fronts!) at online prices - Sgc 30s for $20 40s for $30, etc. I wish there was more of that at these shows!

Definitely well worth attending the show if you are in the area though!

aelefson
11-05-2011, 05:19 AM
Hi-
The meetup is scheduled for today at noon in the room where the bar is. It is over by the snack bar (when you walk in go down the first row on your left). I hope to see a lot of folks there!
Alan

wolterse
11-05-2011, 09:26 AM
Sorry I'll be missing you guys! Have fun and see you at the next one in the spring.

aelefson
11-05-2011, 05:29 PM
Hi-
I just wanted to say I had an incredible time at the show today. It was a pleasure seeing fellow board members Scott, Steve, Rawn, and Kendall as well as Bigfish, Jimmy, Marty K, and a couple of lurkers.
As usual, the show was packed with dealers and a good portion of them had at least some prewar items. Personally, I acquired a ca 1900 junior league bat with a really cool handle, an 1890s school team photo with child mascot and early equipment, and multiple other items. However my favorite acquisition was 4 early snapshots that I will post it in the monthly pickup thread later this evening. I hope everyone who attended had a great show, and the same to those attending tomorrow.
Alan

GrayGhost
11-05-2011, 06:35 PM
Was nice meeting you and Rawn and others, Alan. great show for material as usual, my first in eight years, w not too many deals IMO for resale or otherwise. Hopefully next year, I will have more money to spend.

Those snapshots are GREAT:)

CharleyBrown
11-05-2011, 06:41 PM
For those that went - did anybody happen to spot any of the '47 Bond Bread Jackie Robinson set of 13 cards?

jbsports33
11-07-2011, 03:09 PM
Thank you all that attended, we had great show!

Jimmy