PDA

View Full Version : Removing vintage stubs from scrapbook

Boccabella
10-17-2011, 11:33 AM
I have found a gentleman who has a good sized collection of 1930s era major college football stubs including USC-Notre Dame, etc. Unfortunately,as was the custom of the time, they're lightly glued into a scrapbook. Is there a safe way to remove them to avoid damage or is it a job for a paper conservator (and how much would it cost?).

Thanks for your help.

ontop
10-17-2011, 07:01 PM
I had 4 tickets removed from scrapbook by -Theartofrestoration -at the cost of about 90 dollars. he did a great job. location is chicago

vintagesportflips
10-17-2011, 08:21 PM
Hello Rich,
I've had a lot of experience soaking out different type of paper items ranging from victorian scraps, to turn of the century tickets, etc. The success of soaking totally is dependant on the type of glue that was used. If the glue is a water soluble glue, which in my experience the majority of 19th century and early 20th century scrapbookers used, the items should soak out relatively well. With your scrapbook being a little later in the 1930's timeframe, you won't know until you attempt your first ticket, if they will soak out well. I will cut out around the item you want to soak (I always try to practice with a lesser valuable item from the book to test out the soaking success), soak in distilled water for a few minutes. After a few minutes, I will test by lightly trying to peel off the scrapbook paper. It usually takes a little longer than that to be able to remove the paper, but I start to try after 3 to 5 minutes, but continue to soak if the paper doesn't come off with relative ease. After you are able to remove the paper, I lightly rub the back of the item while under water to help remove any glue residue. I then place item between paper towels (or blotting paper if you have that) and press under several heavy books. I change the paper several times initially, and usually end up pressing the item under the books for several days.