PDA

View Full Version : Need Opinions on 1952 Topps Mantle...trimmed??

gareterag
10-15-2011, 09:42 PM
Please tell me your opinions on this Mantle as I have a second chance offer and wanted to know if you guys think it is a good purchase. Does it look trimmed?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260840126745

ls7plus
10-15-2011, 10:48 PM
You won't be able to tell if its been trimmed without looking at the edges under magnification, even if it measures correctly. Back in the early '90's and likely even earlier, certain dealers were putting off-grade cards through paper presses to enlarge them slightly, then trimming them back to the correct size. A relatively rough cut around the edges is normal, since they were cut through a shearing process. Razor sharp edges, or pinched corners, even on a card that measures correctly, are sure tip-offs that the card has been trimmed and will be rejected by either PSA or SGC. GAI was good at the start, and had significant problems thereafter. Caveat emptor!

Larry

Leon
10-16-2011, 07:58 AM
I am not an expert on trimming but can spot the obvious. If I was plunking down 10k I wouldn't do it on that card, personally. I would never be comfortable with those borders. The top and bottom borders have the same tapering cut but that is all I would ever look at and they make me nervous. They just don't look straight to me.

Also, unless that is some kind of freak '52 Mantle then it's not pre-war (pre-wwII) and really shouldn't be on the front page. There is a page for post-war cards where this thread should have really gone. Next time please be careful on where the thread goes. Good luck, happy collecting and best regards

calvindog
10-16-2011, 10:13 AM
GAI holder, that top border looks ridiculous, and you received a 'second chance' offer -- which means it didn't cross into a real grading company's holder. How many more red flags do you want?

barrysloate
10-16-2011, 10:34 AM
Looks like a purchase you would soon regret. There are so many good things out there to buy, why sink 10K into a potential headache? And the top border does look bad.

GasHouseGang
10-16-2011, 11:16 AM
I'd say its trimmed. But if you just want to own a 52 Mantle, it's presents nicely. However, if you hope to cross it over and sell it, you should look elsewhere.

rdixon1208
10-16-2011, 11:26 AM
Looks trimmed to me.

aquarius31
10-16-2011, 12:16 PM
From the scans the top border looks bad and GAI doesn't give me any confidence given what I've seen on graded T206's

pclpads
10-16-2011, 12:33 PM
That's a ton of coin to drop on card that in a PSA slab would easily run 2-3 times more and . . . from a seller w/ a FB rating of #3??? :eek: Also, unless the seller is Orlando, how does he know: "if the winning bidder decides to have it sent in and regraded the card will grade out." Too many caution flags. Run away, as fast as you can and as far as you can!