PDA

View Full Version : PVC plasticised pages?

Tomman1961
10-15-2011, 12:20 PM
I remember in the 1980's there was a scare of PVC added to plastic pages. The PVC made them softer, but in time the PVC will turn to a soft,greasy texture and ruin the cards. Being in the "plastic" business, I have PVC samples in my office from 1970. And, yes, they are a gooey mess now. So are cards in older pages in trouble?

Cardboard Junkie
10-15-2011, 12:27 PM
PVC pages will eventually ruin cards. That's why I keep mine in my red ball jets and buster brown shoeboxes. aloha dave

vintagechris
10-15-2011, 12:39 PM
I have always wondered, what is that stuff that looks kind of like liquid in card savers?

william_9
10-15-2011, 12:52 PM
I have always wondered, what is that stuff that looks kind of like liquid in card savers?

Static?

steve B
10-15-2011, 08:11 PM
Cards in vinyl pages -the ones with pvc- could be in trouble. It depends somewhat on the storage.

I've got most of mine out of pvc pages, anly a few left. The pages are a bit soft, but haven't leached enough plasticiser to affect the cards. Some other Pvc pages I have are actually a bit brittle now. Usually the older ones.

Even the current pages won't withstand very bad storage. A couple I left in the sun for some time actually crumbled.

Steve B