PDA

View Full Version : T201 complete (Finally)

Rob L
10-15-2011, 12:05 PM
Well, this only took me 7 years to complete, but it has been alot of fun.

I picked up my first T201 (Elberfeld/McBride) in 2004. I had always wanted a Cy Young card and happened to pick up a T206 and T202 of Cy Young and in 2004 and happened to purchase the T201 because I hadn't seen anything like it. After researching the T201, I figured it was easily doable and decided to start collecting the set. The search was fun, traveling to the back room of SCP to a backlot of Paramount Studios to pick up a Ex-NM Walter Johnson/Street. There were long hiatuses (obviously), but every once in a while, I would pull out the box and marvel at them and then search for a few more. A few weeks back, I did just that, realized I was down to 11 commons needed and decided to try and finish the set for the 100th anniversary of the set. It picked up a lot of steam when Brian at Sterling Sports Auctions indicated that he had 7 SGC graded (mostly 40s and 50s) for sale at a killer deal (thanks Brian). That was all I needed. Down to Woodruff/Williams and Grant/McLean. Those arrived this week along with the box (1911, factory 30 on the tax stamp).

This set is mid-grade. A fair to poor here and there, but mostly VG to Ex. I'll probably upgrade a few, but I'm glad it's finally all together.

Bosox Blair
10-15-2011, 12:12 PM
Congrats on the accomplishment! Nice looking set you built.

Cheers,
Blair

rp12367
10-15-2011, 12:58 PM
Congrats, Nice set.

t206blogcom
10-15-2011, 01:14 PM
Very nice. I've been thinking about putting a set of these together myself...

christopher.herman
10-15-2011, 01:22 PM
Congratulations on your accomplishment.

ethicsprof
10-15-2011, 03:12 PM
congrats!!!
quite an accomplishment.
best,
barry

freakhappy
10-15-2011, 03:24 PM
Rob, congrats on completing the set! Great accomplishment!

I too am trying to complete this set along with the monster. I only have four T201's right now, but I love to collect and it will be fun during the hunt. With only 50 cards in the set, it's not so discouraging trying to collect them.

Enjoy your cards and good luck on your next venture!

Mike

Tim Kindler
10-15-2011, 07:52 PM
Rob,
Congratulations on your collecting accomplishment! I really enjoyed seeing all of them lined up in your picture. To set builders like myself (At least someone who tries to build sets:D), it is always amazing to see sets all laid out like yours!
Best Wishes,
Tim Kindler

Tinola
10-15-2011, 07:57 PM
Congratulations! Those cards do look very nice!

iggyman
10-15-2011, 08:51 PM
Great job! Now you can focus on the oddities.

Lovely Day...

Fred
10-15-2011, 09:16 PM
It always feels good to complete a nice vintage set. Congratulations!

joeadcock
10-16-2011, 05:23 AM
Rob

Agree with Tim

Nice looking set especially when all lined up together. Good luck with your next venture.

Rob L
10-16-2011, 04:20 PM
Great job! Now you can focus on the oddities.

Lovely Day...

Wow. Those are very cool.

Rob L
10-16-2011, 04:22 PM
Thanks all! This set was a blast. I love this card format and was wondering about the Topps 1955 double headers? I know, not vintage but a cool set none the less. Is that an easy set?

Rob L
10-30-2011, 08:33 PM
Well, I an enamored with this format and have started the doubleheader set. I picked up the Spahn card, an unopened pack with Marsh/Theis in it (read thru the wrapper), another Marsh/Theis and Bilko. Here we go again!! :D

Rob L
11-12-2011, 01:07 PM
Now that the T201 set is complete, I have started the little brother of this set: the 1955 Topps Double Headers. I'll have to start posting these on the Post WWII board but here is where I'm at now (BTW, the unopened pack contains the Marsh card that it's pictured with):

freakhappy
11-12-2011, 03:41 PM
Those are pretty cool knock-offs to the T201's. I'm just starting to collect the T201 set and have a way to go, but I might take that route after I'm done collecting the T201's.

How many cards are in the double-header set and how expensive are they to collect?

Thanks!

Tomman1961
11-12-2011, 03:51 PM
Back in the early 1980's I liked this set. I thought to try it, but never went past just 1 card. My one and only is Elberfield and Mcbride, just like your first. 7 years sounds about right. I am working on Diamond Stars and thought with my budget would take 5 years. I am at year 5 and have 20 to go.

Rob L
11-12-2011, 04:53 PM
Those are pretty cool knock-offs to the T201's. I'm just starting to collect the T201 set and have a way to go, but I might take that route after I'm done collecting the T201's.

How many cards are in the double-header set and how expensive are they to collect?

Thanks!

There are 66 cards in the set. They are cheaper than the T201s. The Aaron was only $185 and the commons were $30. The unopened pack was around $300.

freakhappy
11-12-2011, 04:55 PM
There are 66 cards in the set. They are cheaper than the T201s. The Aaron was only $185 and the commons were $30. The unopened pack was around $300.

Thanks for the info!

Rob L
08-22-2012, 10:14 PM
So, I am curious as to everyone's upgrading tendencies. I wanted to build a mid-grade T201 set which meant I had at least four cards that would were either grade or would be graded Poor/Fair at best. It didn't get to me until two weeks ago when I was buying lucite holders for seven or eight loose cards that I had. When going through them, I decided I must find upgrades that were VG at minimum. The Poor/Fair cards have now been upgraded and I think I feel better about the set. Do most of you do similar things or are you content with set you collected once your done. BTW, the set now ranges from Good to EX-NM (and I don't have a problem with the cards graded Good).

Blunder19
08-22-2012, 10:45 PM
Congrats rob!!.. which was your toughest one to find? was it your last one? or did you save a commoner for your final one?

Jamie

Rob L
08-22-2012, 10:56 PM
Congrats rob!!.. which was your toughest one to find? was it your last one? or did you save a commoner for your final one?

Jamie

Hi Jamie. Toughest for me, believe it or not, was the Leach/Gibson. The last 11 that I needed were all commons but I had liked the Leach/Gibson card for some time and would have picked it a few years back if I had seen it. It was all commoners for the last. All of the cards that I upgraded were commons. I have had all of the HOFers for a few years.

teetwoohsix
08-23-2012, 12:59 AM
Nice job and congrats !!!!

Sincerely, Clayton

Zach Wheat
08-23-2012, 06:24 AM
So, I am curious as to everyone's upgrading tendencies. I wanted to build a mid-grade T201 set which meant I had at least four cards that would were either grade or would be graded Poor/Fair at best. It didn't get to me until two weeks ago when I was buying lucite holders for seven or eight loose cards that I had. When going through them, I decided I must find upgrades that were VG at minimum. The Poor/Fair cards have now been upgraded and I think I feel better about the set. Do most of you do similar things or are you content with set you collected once your done. BTW, the set now ranges from Good to EX-NM (and I don't have a problem with the cards graded Good).

Nice set Rob. Regarding upgrades, I usually continue to upgrade a set until they are all in the same range of grade. I am probably in the minority but I generally do not sell duplicates either. I had fun completing the T201 as well. Good luck on your '55 DH set.

ullmandds
08-23-2012, 06:27 AM
congratulations...as a reformed type collector...who has now completed 2 vintage sets...I can certainly share in your excitement!!!!!

Nice Job on a cool set!!!!!