PDA

View Full Version : Lou Gehrig signed? SGC?

GrayGhost
10-11-2011, 08:49 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lou-Gehrig-Signed-Cut-JSA-Auto-Signature-Certified-Slabbed-Autographed-Authentic-/250899593725?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a6ac7f9fd

Umm. that does NOT look even close. Am I correct that we have a fake slab/flip and authentication? THIS CANT BE REAL:eek:

David Atkatz
10-11-2011, 09:17 PM
It's not.

sports-rings
10-12-2011, 06:02 AM
Besides ebay, should JSA be notified since the slab mentions that company too?

GrayGhost
10-12-2011, 07:04 AM
Besides ebay, should JSA be notified since the slab mentions that company too?

They probably should. Its funny because the guy has a lot of other things that definitely look good. oh well.

mschwade
10-12-2011, 09:11 AM
They probably should. Its funny because the guy has a lot of other things that definitely look good. oh well.

I've never been quite comfortable with the items that were authenticated with that X03527 lot. The Johnny Grabowski and the Chas O'Leary from that lot had a lot of people questioning the authenticity. The Pat Collins that I didn't win in the Hunt Auction last month came from that same lot and I wasn't 100% sure on that one either, but PSA rendered a Likely Authentic opinion on it and I asked some members on this board I thought I could trust with 1927 Yankees, so I went for it.

mschwade
10-12-2011, 12:24 PM
Here's some examples from that lot:

JOHNNY GRABOWSKI
http://www.hugginsandscott.com/pl/38004_john_grabowski.jpg

LOU GEHRIG
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Lou-Gehrig-Signed-Cut-JSA-Auto-Signature-Certified-Slabbed-Autographed-Authentic-/00/s/MTA4N1g2NTk=/$(KGrHqIOKnME52P1vqKOBOf92fLDm!~~60_3.JPG

HERB PENNOCK
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/HERB-PENNOCK-SIGNED-AUTOGRAPHED-JSA-AUTO-X03527-/00/$(KGrHqR,!hYE3uRIS,Q1BODh(EstyQ~~0_3.JPG

URBAN SHOCKER
http://www.huntauctions.com/phone/img90/2.jpg

For the life of me, I can't find the Chas O'Leary, but I know it sold for less than $200

RichardSimon
10-12-2011, 05:46 PM
I've never been quite comfortable with the items that were authenticated with that X03527 lot. The Johnny Grabowski and the Chas O'Leary from that lot had a lot of people questioning the authenticity. The Pat Collins that I didn't win in the Hunt Auction last month came from that same lot and I wasn't 100% sure on that one either, but PSA rendered a Likely Authentic opinion on it so I went for it.

I would like to clarify your thought process on this one, if you don't mind.
You were not totally comfortable with the autographs yourself, but a 3rd party authenticator (and one with many known mistakes), giving only an opinion, stated that in their OPINION it was likely authentic.
So despite your own misgivings you went ahead and bid on two different autograph items?
The card guys say "buy the card not the holder",,, autograph guys should say "buy the autograph not the holder."
And I keep reminding people that D-e-l-e-h-a-n-t-y is not the way that the HOFer spelled his name and despite that obvious misspelling on a handwritten letter both PSA and JSA authenticated it, to the tune of $30K in a Hunt Auction.

mschwade
10-12-2011, 08:55 PM
Hey Richard - I don't claim to be a expert in spotting forgeries, but I did ask the opinion of a few people on here that I think I could trust when it came to Pat Collins and other 1927 Yankees, and they thought it was good. So it wasn't just PSA's Quick Opinion that I sought before deciding to bid on it.

Not exactly sure where you got that I bid on two items, but to clarify, the Collins is the only thing I've bid on from that JSA lot.

Thanks,
Matt

packs
10-12-2011, 09:08 PM
I'm no expert but it looks like the same person signed each of those signatures.

RichardSimon
10-13-2011, 06:06 AM
Hey Richard - I don't claim to be a expert in spotting forgeries, but I did ask the opinion of a few people on here that I think I could trust when it came to Pat Collins and other 1927 Yankees, and they thought it was good. So it wasn't just PSA's Quick Opinion that I sought before deciding to bid on it.

Not exactly sure where you got that I bid on two items, but to clarify, the Collins is the only thing I've bid on from that JSA lot.

Thanks,
Matt

Sorry about that misread on you bidding on 2 items.
And you did not state in your original post that you asked people on the board about the item you bid on. You said you were uncertain about it but bid because PSA said it was good.
If you had stated that you asked about the auto on 54 I would never have made the comment that I did.

mr2686
10-13-2011, 07:40 AM
Matt,
Are we talking about the Collins from the Hunt auction? If I remember correctly, it was not authenticated at the time of the auction...at least not slabbed. So, if it's in the same JSA "lot", I would assume it was sent to JSA at the same time as the others after the bidder won. I wouldn't assume that the Collins is bad based on that. Just wanted to clarify since this post could be read as they were sold as one lot which would kinda make a person raise his eyebrow at it.
thanks,
Mike

mschwade
10-13-2011, 08:07 AM
Sorry about that misread on you bidding on 2 items.
And you did not state in your original post that you asked people on the board about the item you bid on. You said you were uncertain about it but bid because PSA said it was good.
If you had stated that you asked about the auto on 54 I would never have made the comment that I did.

Yea, sorry Richard, that's my mistake.

mschwade
10-13-2011, 08:38 AM
Matt,
Are we talking about the Collins from the Hunt auction? If I remember correctly, it was not authenticated at the time of the auction...at least not slabbed. So, if it's in the same JSA "lot", I would assume it was sent to JSA at the same time as the others after the bidder won. I wouldn't assume that the Collins is bad based on that. Just wanted to clarify since this post could be read as they were sold as one lot which would kinda make a person raise his eyebrow at it.
thanks,
Mike

Mike - yea that's the one. I talked to the person that originally owned the X03527 lot because I saw in the JSA lookup that it included a Collins in that authenticated lot. I was expecting the Collins to be similar to the ones that I posted above, signed with the black fountain pen, but he told me it was the one that was in the Hunt Auctions last month, signed in what appeared to be a blue ballpoint pen.