PDA

View Full Version : T205 Color Error?

albrshbr
10-09-2011, 11:28 AM
I was wondering what others thought of the T205 Walsh color error in the B&L Auction. [URL="http://http://www.b-lauctions.com/site/bid/bidplace.asp?itemid=7574"]

I noticed it shortly after the auction listed, but didn't think much of it. The last 2 days I've been looking at it a bit closer. I've got a similar T205, and I'm thinking this is more likely a stain. The other colors on the Walsh are duller than normal. Also, as can be seen a little better on the back of my Kirb White, the pink color distribution isn't uniform (splotching along the top). Obviously, SGC thought it was a stain, thus the the grade it received. I do however find it interesting that both cards are shortprints and both have Hassan Fact 30 backs.

Your thoughts?

Leon
10-09-2011, 12:04 PM
Scott has the Walsh that was in our auction but in speaking with him, before the auction ended, I don't think he feels it's a stain. Here is the Walsh card for comparison...

Wite3
10-09-2011, 10:38 PM
I remember looking at that Walsh at the Hollywood Park show several years ago. I was offered it but declined and it was bought by another board member shortly thereafter. The Walsh, in my opinion, is not stained. It seems to have either an extra color pass with pink. It is a strange print error.

The White might also have been passed like that either during the color process or a later stain, I can tell you the Walsh pink is very even and does not go through to the back.

Joshua

sb1
10-10-2011, 06:25 AM
Having examined the Walsh as best one can without removing it from the slab, it is very easy to declare it a full print pass and not a stain. Everywhere there should be white there is pink and exactly where it should be when compared to a normal card. If it were stained or even colored in it would be quite easy to see even with the naked eye.

I did see the pink tinges on the back as well. I believe this color pass was probably made in error as Joshua states, although it does appear it was not caught and the cards saw normal distribution. The pink on the back could be just a bit of transfer from overinked sheets?

steve B
10-10-2011, 08:13 AM
A full solid color pass is usually from having no water on the plate when it gets inked. Pretty striking when it's a light early color like pink, and just really odd when it's a darker color like black.

There are lots of reasons for a dry plate, more on a modern sheet fed press a few less on an old press that used a stone. I'm pretty sure the T205/6s were printed from stones.

Steve B