PDA

View Full Version : 1911 Leland's Chicago Giants & KC,KS Giants

Runscott
10-06-2011, 04:10 PM
I'm looking for a clear photo of the Jack Johnson who was a player/manager for the Kansas City Giants from 1909-11. I have some biographical information, but if anyone has anything beyond the few snippets in the various publications, I would love to see it.

I'm also still looking for a photo of the 1911 Chicago Giants (Leland's team) and the 1911 Kansas City, KS Giants.

Also still looking for the owner of the huge panorama showing the Chicago Giants and Chicago American Giants just prior to their July 2, 1911 game.

All the stuff I'm asking about related to 1911 is for a series of articles and a book I'm working on, so if you own any of it you'll get your name mentioned in print :)

Runscott
10-07-2011, 09:31 AM
I've been off the vintage card forums for a while, and never really found any good vintage memorabilia forums.

I know that a lot of the questions I ask here can be answered, but I'm wondering if there are other forums that you guys use that might have larger followings. Any help would be greatly appreciated; meanwhile, I'll post this request on the SABR Negro Leagues sub-forum.

jerseygary
10-07-2011, 11:44 AM
Have you tried Larry Lester of Noir Tech? If you haven't heard of him, he is a well-published Negro League author and Noir Tech is his company which is essentially a giant data base of Negro League photographs that he has license to and rents out. He's very helpful in finding photos and outside a serious collector he would be your best bet at finding what you need. You can also try a guy names Gary Ashwill through his blog (www.agatetype.typepad.com) he is probably one of the best and most detail oriented N.L. researcher out there and he might have something in his extensive files for you. I can't tell you how many newspaper photos he has dug up for me that have never been seen since the time they were first published.

Good Luck!

Runscott
10-07-2011, 12:15 PM
Have you tried Larry Lester of Noir Tech? If you haven't heard of him, he is a well-published Negro League author and Noir Tech is his company which is essentially a giant data base of Negro League photographs that he has license to and rents out. He's very helpful in finding photos and outside a serious collector he would be your best bet at finding what you need. You can also try a guy names Gary Ashwill through his blog (www.agatetype.typepad.com) he is probably one of the best and most detail oriented N.L. researcher out there and he might have something in his extensive files for you. I can't tell you how many newspaper photos he has dug up for me that have never been seen since the time they were first published.

Good Luck!

Thanks Gary. By coincidence, I've been sending Gary info on the KC Giants, but didn't think of asking him for pictures. I will also contact Larry Lester.

Thanks again.

Runscott
10-12-2011, 10:14 AM
Yesterday I added games/dates and links to box scores for these two teams. If anyone can add anything to the information shown on my website (links on first page), it would be greatly appreciated.

Unluckily for me, SABR has a project going where they are updating a database with info on black teams from 1904 upward. Eventually they will get to 1911, but meanwhile I'm unable to get much help from anyone - not trying to step on anyone else's research, but I've got to keep plugging along in order to get my book written.

jerseygary
10-12-2011, 10:21 AM
Yeah, I have seen this quite a few times, especially with Negro League research, some of those guys hoard it like it is gold. Fortunately there are many other researchers independent of the big factions that share their work unconditionally with fellow researchers. I for one am always willing to share the fruits of my labor, unfortunately I don't specialize in the period you are working on. Good luck in your search and book!

Runscott
10-12-2011, 11:45 AM
Yeah, I have seen this quite a few times, especially with Negro League research, some of those guys hoard it like it is gold. Fortunately there are many other researchers independent of the big factions that share their work unconditionally with fellow researchers. I for one am always willing to share the fruits of my labor, unfortunately I don't specialize in the period you are working on. Good luck in your search and book!

Thanks.

When I described what was going on to my girlfriend, she just laughed - said it was hilarious that there's this sub-culture of people being all protective of stuff that almost no one is interested in. It provided her with quite a bit of amusement.

Edited to add: you got me thinking about this, and I added a blog to my website - this way I can explain what I'm doing, what I need, and what I have to share.

Runscott
10-28-2011, 09:58 AM
Bump - I need to locate the owner of this image, if at all possible.

Anyone have any ideas? This is not an insignificant piece, so I'm surprised it disappeared into seclusion.

Thanks.