PDA

View Full Version : Ted Williams has to be the greatest of Al lTime

Tomman1961
10-01-2011, 12:46 PM
Ted is the last to bat .400. We all know that. Then 17 years later he bats .388. Why is he my best of all time. This man was an ACE fighter pilot in Korea. He is the role model of a great American.

slidekellyslide
10-01-2011, 02:03 PM
Ted Williams is the man that John Wayne played on the screen.

carrigansghost
10-01-2011, 03:15 PM
Ted Williams fathered most of the kids in my neighorhood.........
Ted Williams used a live colbra as a condom....

It could go on.

Rawn

HRBAKER
10-01-2011, 03:18 PM
I heard he bowled overhanded.

carrigansghost
10-01-2011, 03:20 PM
Ok one from every poster to follow.

Rawn

sox1903wschamp
10-01-2011, 03:43 PM
He is the role model of a great American.

Well...it depends on what you define as a great role model. If it is a great Father and Family man who was always around for his Family, well then Ted falls a little short of role model status (IMO).

But I heard he golfed with his eyes closed and was great at it.

bbcard1
10-01-2011, 03:55 PM
No lie, in the last book about him he recalls pulling up trees by the roots. He died with an unhappy family in disarray, which I think would disqualify him as being a role model. It is very hard to be both a high achiever and have a happy family.

milkit1
10-01-2011, 04:01 PM
at card shows he would ignore everyone and make an effort to intentionally smear his autograph i.e. rolling the baseball or slamming a bat (what he did to me when I was 13). however if a hot girl came up, he was all charm.
when there was the fighting over his frozen head all I could sing was "instant kharma".
mickey mantle had his issues but at least he was pleasant to people paying for his autograph.

Fred
10-01-2011, 07:54 PM
I figure if you just wanted to make a case for Ted Williams as a great American Athlete you could easily do that. He was without a doubt a great pure hitter and he put country before self. Could you imagine the numbers he would have put up if he got all of those years back from military service? I figure he possibly could have been the second player to jack 600 or even 700 HRs.

hunterdutchess
10-01-2011, 09:35 PM
The real question is will Ted be known more for his frozen head or his play on the field 50yrs from now.

MVSNYC
10-01-2011, 10:01 PM
Ted Williams was able to give a carpet an electric shock.

When Ted Williams said "Jump", you didn't say, "How high?" - you asked, "When do I come down?"

If Ted Williams had a beard...it would've been able to cut diamonds.

Ballet was banned within a 1000 mile radius of Ted Williams.

Ted Williams wore a flux capacitor on his belt and ran 88 miles per hour.

Tomman1961
10-02-2011, 10:06 AM
OK. I do stand corrected. Williams is not a role mode. Dumb thing to say. Because of what we hear about him as a Father. Tough son of a gun. Great at many things. Great at baseball. Great fisherman, great golfer, great fighter pilot. But not a great Dad.

martyogelvie
10-03-2011, 07:51 AM
I like to leave the Players on the field and not expect anything else of them off the field. I don't really care much either way for Ted Williams the person, simply because I didn't know him and never met him.

All I know is that guy could hit a baseball.. everything else is just white noise.

pariah1107
10-03-2011, 11:16 AM
A great ballplayer and patriot. Can you be an Ace Pilot during a police action? With his steely gaze Ted Williams could slay passing hippies by the dozen.

Runscott
10-03-2011, 12:25 PM
Ted Williams was able to give a carpet an electric shock.

When Ted Williams said "Jump", you didn't say, "How high?" - you asked, "When do I come down?"

If Ted Williams had a beard...it would've been able to cut diamonds.

Ballet was banned within a 1000 mile radius of Ted Williams.

Ted Williams wore a flux capacitor on his belt and ran 88 miles per hour.

Chuck Norris gave his little girls Ted Williams dolls to play with...wearing dresses.

Peter_Spaeth
10-03-2011, 02:04 PM
Ted Williams could slam a revolving door.