PDA

View Full Version : What is "Foxing"

rainier2004
09-29-2011, 08:45 AM
Another possibly newb question. Never seen this before until recently when dealers will say card has "foxing" to it. Thanks.

barrysloate
09-29-2011, 08:52 AM
When old paper is subject to the elements over time, usually in the form of moisture, it begins to form a fine mold on its surface. It looks like a bit of discoloration or smudging. It is very difficult or nearly impossible to get out. It can be neutralized, however, by having the paper deacidified. A conservator can do this using a special spray.

rainier2004
09-29-2011, 09:00 AM
Thanks Barry for the help, its appreciated. The sellers disclosing that info sound both honest and knowledgable. If the card isnt sprayed will the mold continue then?

drc
09-29-2011, 09:39 AM
Age spots. One some items they're almost desirable as they show old age.

steve B
09-29-2011, 09:42 AM
It depends on the storage conditions. Molds usually like dampness and warmth. Remove those and they die. The problem is the spores which will stay active for a very long time so when the humidity and heat are brought back they begin growing.

On the good side, the stuff that causes foxing seems to be rather slow growing. And I'm pretty sure it needs a certain acidity to live. so deacidification and good storage should stop it for a long time.

Steve B

barrysloate
09-29-2011, 09:43 AM
Steven- in theory it could spread, but it happens so slowly you probably wouldn't notice. It takes decades to grow.

steve B
09-29-2011, 10:23 AM
Steven- in theory it could spread, but it happens so slowly you probably wouldn't notice. It takes decades to grow.

That's for sure Barry. Very slow growing stuff.

I downplayed the slowness because I'm unsure just how slow growing it is. I do know that my 1880's books aren't much different from my 1840's books in how much foxing they have. But I also don't know how long ago each started.

I can't recall seeing foxing on mid 1800's rag paper, and I've never seen it on newsprint. So low acid and high acid environments don't seem to support the mold.

I woudn't worry at all about it spreading, especially in any sort of decent storage. 40-50 years in a humid basement I'd worry but kept in a typical home there shouldn't be any problem at all.

Steve B

DICKTOWLE
09-29-2011, 10:59 AM
Steve, our company have worked on many cards with foxing, many graded 3 and when done went to a 7. It is working with the paper that really counts, so far every card has worked GONE WITH THE STAIN worked on- good luck sir.

uffda51
09-29-2011, 11:02 AM
I thought it had something to do with Nellie Fox and the 1959 Go-Go White Sox . . .

"I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me… "

brob28
09-29-2011, 11:48 AM
Any chance anyone has a picture they can share showing this? Trying to get a visual of foxing vs. toning. Would love to see a before and after of any cards that have been treated by a conservator.

Thanks,

old-baseball
09-29-2011, 02:39 PM
This is what I would consider "foxing"......

http://www.net54baseball.com/picture.php?albumid=256&pictureid=4629

vs. a card showing toning.
http://www.net54baseball.com/picture.php?albumid=256&pictureid=4627

Chris Counts
09-29-2011, 05:09 PM
I notice foxing mostly on Exhibit cards. They seem to be magnets for it ...

ls7plus
09-30-2011, 02:10 AM
Thanks Kevin, I didn't really know what was meant by the term either, and your illustration really clarifies it!

Best wishes,

Larry

Old Hoss
09-30-2011, 05:13 AM
"Foxing" is a complicated term, but if you see brownish spots, the item is foxed, or could have some other kind of mold problem. I think that foxing often looks pretty bad. And it does not automatically signify an old item.

Additionally, sellers tend to significantly understate the amount of foxing on an item, so it is important to take a close look at the item (or get several high-quality images of it) before buying.

Finally, if you think an item shows foxing, or some other kind of mold problem, it is important to check if the item smells of mold, or smells funny in any way.

Hope this helps!

Best,
Charles