PDA

View Full Version : Real? or not bloody likely...

Shoeless Moe
09-26-2011, 03:02 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BABE-RUTH-AUTOGRAPHED-SIGNED-BASEBALL-/230677924265?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b579c9a9

travrosty
09-26-2011, 04:50 PM
i can comment on the wording of the coa.

the person who wrote it went out of their way to copy nearly verbatim the coa of the large authentication companies. they want the collector to notice something familiar about the wording, so they will get a feeling of safety when they read it.

its a common thing to do to sell something, connect it to other products or services that people are already familiar with to try to stir up a feeling of familiarity among the collector and to try to connect this product with others that the collector is already familiar with, thus trying to give this product the legitimacy that the other coa's rightly or wrongly enjoy in this hobby.

With that said, the autograph does say Babe Ruth, it seems like every Ruth in the world is passing with Coa's these days. If it doesnt pass one service, send it to another, and another. it might be good, might not, but who the heck knows these days if you compare it to the sliding scale of what has been passing for ruth balls as of late. (last 10 years).

Scott Garner
09-26-2011, 06:35 PM
I sure would like to see the trademark on the ball.
At 1st glance the ball does not to be 1940's vintage or earlier....

mcgwirecom
09-26-2011, 06:38 PM
Look at that COA....no name, no address, no nothing. Who do you call if there is a problem? That should tell you what you need to know.

travrosty
09-26-2011, 11:54 PM
I get a kick out of that last line. We look forward to examining and selling to you in the future.

I bet they would. examining and selling using the nearly exact same wording of a (supposedly impartial) third party authentication service. gee i wonder if the items pass the examination.

thetruthisoutthere
09-27-2011, 09:54 AM
Looks like Ebay removed it.