PDA

View Full Version : Extra Wild Card Team with 1 game playoff?

90feetaway
09-24-2011, 09:35 PM
During the game on Fox today they mentioned that MLB is considering using a one game playoff format along with an extra wild card team. I think Tim McCarver was the one saying it didn't make sense to do that type of elimination format in baseball. Your thoughts?

novakjr
09-25-2011, 01:03 PM
They were talking about this a long time ago... Normally, I think Tim McCarver's an idiot, but I have to agree with him here, it's a completely ridiculous idea... If you want two Wild-cards, then they should strip each league back down to two divisions. It would increase the odds of having the 4 best teams in each league, and at the same time, make the schedules a little more even for comparison... Hypothetically(based on this year's results), 90+ wins for the Rays(if they get there) should be more impressive than 90+ wins for the Tigers, given that the Rays play more games vs. the Yankees, Red Sox and Jays, while the Tigers play more vs. the Twins, Indians, White Sox and Royals.. Interleague play(while I think it's a fun idea), should also be eliminated, because it also contributes to un-even scheduling for comparison.

dabigyankeeman
09-26-2011, 07:28 AM
Totally moronic to have a 1-game playoff between two wildcard teams, anything can happen in one game in baseball, you work all year to become a wildcard and then one game can put you out? I dont like it.

This is not like a playoff for a pennant in the old days because those teams had identical records and you just needed another game to see who wound up with more wins for the season. Here, one team might have 10 more victories than the other wildcard team, but thats meaningless in the one game playoff.

If they add a wildcard, you need to also have a balanced shedule.

David W
09-26-2011, 06:43 PM
I'm a Cardinal fan, and if they can't get in after 162 games, it makes no sense to give them a 163rd game.

Dumb idea.

steve B
10-06-2011, 11:45 AM
Yep, dumb idea.

But if the networks think they can make money from it, and are willing to pay a bit more to get it, it will happen.

Any bets as to which sport is the first to have playoff games overlap pre season? It's felt like hockey and basketball were close the last couple years.

If Basketball doesn't wise up they'll be appearing on VS network for pocket change.

Steve B

Runscott
10-21-2011, 04:59 PM
They were talking about this a long time ago... Normally, I think Tim McCarver's an idiot, but I have to agree with him here, it's a completely ridiculous idea... If you want two Wild-cards, then they should strip each league back down to two divisions. It would increase the odds of having the 4 best teams in each league, and at the same time, make the schedules a little more even for comparison... Hypothetically(based on this year's results), 90+ wins for the Rays(if they get there) should be more impressive than 90+ wins for the Tigers, given that the Rays play more games vs. the Yankees, Red Sox and Jays, while the Tigers play more vs. the Twins, Indians, White Sox and Royals.. Interleague play(while I think it's a fun idea), should also be eliminated, because it also contributes to un-even scheduling for comparison.

I like your idea better than how it's currently done - I've never liked the tiny divisions. It would be similar to MLS, but fewer playoff teams, assuming you mean that one division could produce both wild-card teams. I also completely agree with you regarding interleague play, but I'll also add the reasoning that it destroys the magic of the World Series.

Too bad your ideas aren't conducive to higher profits, or I'm sure they would get implemented.

But I do think that Tim McCarver is still an idiot, even if he got lucky on one idea.

majordanby
10-23-2011, 02:57 PM
Interleague play(while I think it's a fun idea), should also be eliminated, because it also contributes to un-even scheduling for comparison.

and it really adds no information to how good a team is since we're choosing teams conditional on league and division - so, the only games that really should count are those played against teams in the same league and division. by this logic, we should have as few divisions as possible, which of course lends credence to your 2 division, 4 playoff team scenario.

bigred1
10-26-2011, 11:57 AM
As an Orioles fan, my best hope would be a balanced schedule and fewer divisions, however an owner with baseball smarts would help, guess he is a good lawyer.