PDA

View Full Version : Bill Wambsganss

scmavl
09-21-2011, 08:26 PM
Funny thing... On the side, I play in a band with a small but quite spread out following. While on my bands page, I saw a fan of mine from Kansas with the last name Wambsganss. I had to ask her if she was any relation to Bill Wambsganss, who made an unassisted triple play in the 1920 World Series. Here is what she said:

"Yep, I am.
My father's grandfather was the brother to Bill's dad.
...At least we think that's the connection.
But somewhere we have a picture of my dad sitting with him on a couch.
I've yet to meet a Wambsganss I wasn't related to, and I don't plan on it ever happening...
Mostly because I can't believe two families would be crazy enough to name themselves 'womb of a goose'."

I know this isn't directly card related but I thought you guys might appreciate it. :)

V117collector
09-21-2011, 08:45 PM
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn269/Maple_Crispette_Set/v11700011.jpg

Brian Van Horn
09-21-2011, 10:08 PM

Buythatcard
09-22-2011, 04:49 AM
Only on Net54 can you hear these interesting stories.

NYHighlanderFan
09-22-2011, 08:14 AM
I got to meet Mr. Wambsganss one time. He had to have been close to 90 already. It was at a Yankees-Indians game at old Cleveland stadium. My guess it was around 1985. It was old timers day. He sat behind home plate that afternoon. My cousin and I went up, introduced ourselves and got his autographs. I say that in plural form because he signed a ball for me "Bill Wamby" and the program "Bill Wambsganss". Pretty cool memory!