PDA

View Full Version : Card Variation Book

NATCARD
09-20-2011, 07:32 PM
Back in the late 70's or early 80's there was a book/guide (printed on copy paper) that listed any and all known variations for Topps/Bowman cards and possibly earlier. I have not seen a similar book in many years and wanted to know if anyone has a copy of that book or if a new one has been produced.
Thanks, JEFF W

Griffins
09-20-2011, 07:37 PM
was that the one by George Vrechek?
You can find a lot of his articles on this site- can't link directly to the page but if you click on "the library" on the menu list on the left you can access his articles
http://www.oldbaseball.com/

Rich Klein
09-21-2011, 05:22 AM
The later books were published that way

Rich

toppcat
09-21-2011, 05:56 AM
The later books were published that way

Rich

It's called the Mistake Manual and is now quite outdated.

steve B
09-21-2011, 09:05 AM
I have a copy somewhere. It was good in its time, but is as outdated as any hobby book that's 35 years old will be. When it came out the information just wasn't easy to come by.

Today with the internet it's possible to post a scan of an odd card and get a few opinions as to wether it's a printing error or a variety in a couple days at most. There are also a number of lists online listing varieties found by people looking at thousands of cards.

And there's still a lot of stuff that hasn't been cataloged in any way.

Steve B

GoldenAge50s
09-21-2011, 08:20 PM
The Baseball Card Variation Book (1989) by Dick Gilkeson has all the ERR/VAR from 1948-1989 Topps & Bowman w/ Updates thru around 1997.

ALR-bishop
09-22-2011, 07:50 AM
I agree the Gilkeson publication and updates is very good. I have updates through 1995. But it too has been dated in many cases by subsequent internet finds as noted by SteveB.

Vrechek has had a few interesting follow up articles in SCD over the last couple of years