PDA

View Full Version : Damage Done to Cards when Subbed to TPGs

mintacular
09-19-2011, 03:38 PM
I've talked to a lot of traditional collectors and there #1 fear or criticism is that they don't send cards in b/c they think the TPG could damage card during the grading process...I've always thought there are many other reasons to not submit but does this one have any credence? Does anyone actually have experiences where they felt like the card was damaged during the grading process? Is it possible that PSA has some summer interns that yank out cards carelessly from cardsavers when they are first sent in and are perhaps causing minor wear/damage before the grader even gets to the cards...???I can tell you for one that removing cards from Cardsavers is always a bit tense as I feel that light pressure can be done on the corners during the process, which is why I prefer toploaders/sleeves...Are these fears unreasonable?

Doug
09-19-2011, 04:27 PM
I sent a PSA 9 1998 Topps Chrome Peyton Manning refractor in for a reholder a few years ago and it came back with a big thumb print on the front of the card. I called and explained what happened and they had me send the card back and apparently they wiped the thumbprint off and sent it back to me in a new holder at no charge. I guess it's possible they sent me a replacement card, but I'm pretty sure the card I got back had the same cert number and was the one that I had sent in.

ls7plus
09-19-2011, 10:07 PM
I sent in a 1970 Topps Reggie Jackson in NM/Mt to PSA many years ago, which came back a "5," presumably because of a ding in one corner. Only problem was that it didn't have the ding when I sent it in. That is the only such bad experience I have personally had, although I usually buy only graded cards now, simply because its easier, and don't submit that many raw cards (usually only when I re-up my membership with PSA).

Best wishes,

Larry