PDA

View Full Version : Dan,Clint A Little Help On An Oshkosh Book

batsballsbases
09-19-2011, 03:37 PM
Dan, Clint or anyone who likes minor league items I need a little help with an item I picked up. Its a Book about 48 pages bound with a cover with string all about the Oshkosh baseball team. Titled Oshkosh in Baseball. This one is from 1913 but covers the team from the 1880s to 1913. Some great pics of alot of the teams of the Oshkosh Indians. Cover is decent for the age but the book inside is in great condition. Wanted to know a value on the item. Thanks Al

baseballart
09-19-2011, 05:04 PM
The asking price on this varies all over the place.

It is quite common, as I believe there was a find of these a number of years ago. I have seen high asking prices, but it never sells at those prices.

I have seen it sell for as low as $50 on ebay, although a normal selling price would I think be in the $75 to $100.

It is a very neat item, and should sell for more. However, as I mentioned, there seems to be a large number of these offered, far more than for most books of this vintage. As such, this tempers demand.

Max

slidekellyslide
09-19-2011, 05:23 PM
I've not seen it before, but I'm sure Max is correct as he knows baseball books inside and out. Are there any pics of the 1887 team with Dummy Hoy?

batsballsbases
09-19-2011, 05:41 PM
Max Thankyou for the info. I did pay at the upper end of your range and did figure it to be worth a little more than that. Dan yes there is a nice picture of the 1887 team in there My scan is bad as its hard to scan this book but I believe he is seated lower left on the floor.

ksfarmboy
09-19-2011, 05:45 PM
I've seen a few of these on ebay and there may be a couple on there now. As Dan said, Max is one of the book gurus on here and I would trust his assessment on value. Neat book though and I wish there was one for Wichita or Topeka from that era.

slidekellyslide
09-19-2011, 06:38 PM
Thanks Al! And as Clint said I sure wish there was one of these books for the Lincoln teams.

baseballart
09-19-2011, 07:31 PM
Max Thankyou for the info. I did pay at the upper end of your range and did figure it to be worth a little more than that.

Al

Even more so than cards, baseball books are a thinly traded market. The additional presence or absence of even one collector can affect the value of an item greatly. This is certainly a great book to have at the high end of the range, or higher.

Now, if some of the rarely seen baseball books would only surface ..

Max

batsballsbases
09-19-2011, 08:28 PM
Thanks Max Yes I know what you mean I dont really deal in cards Im a pin collector, I love to see when a hard item comes up or one that hasnt been seen, boy then you know you better have a large WAR CHEST Ready! If you know what I mean!;);) As for books you are right much fewer collectors and it is a thinly traded market but if its the right book then you will see the collectors come out!:eek:

prewarsports
09-19-2011, 09:14 PM
I have bought and sold 4-5 of these books over the years and have never gotten less than $200 for a decent copy. I will pay $100 for as many as you want to send my way. Hype it up as a Dummy Hoy collectible as it has TWO large team photos with Hoy in it and you will get $200 for it eventually. This is at shows and fixed price sales but I buy them from time to time in the $75-$100 range in auctions and double the price and sell every single one. So while it might be worth $100 in an auction, if you are patient and market it well, you can double that easy.

Rhys

batsballsbases
09-19-2011, 09:46 PM
Rhys,
Thanks for the info. The copy is in very nice shape and your price is what I thought it might be worth.. Regards Al