PDA

View Full Version : Ends Tonight: Information on a Benefit Auction For Net54 Member

spacktrack
09-19-2011, 09:53 AM
***The October auction which contains several dozen items for the benefit of Kadence Woodfin ends today Thursday 10/27. You can view the auction at www.SterlingSportsAuctions.com. Thank you.***

Many here will remember a post made over the summer by Andrew Woodfin (Pup6913) in which he described the challenges facing him and his family following the news that his 3 year old daughter, Kadence, was diagnosed with leukemia. This was a shocking set of circumstances for Andrew but it also struck many members here on Net54. I was approached by some collectors who expressed an interest in raising funds for Andrew's daughter following news that there were new expenses that went beyond what was set to be covered by insurance. Kadence has been accepted into a care program and trial for children with leukemia that requires different sets of food, changes to her living arrangements, and increased travel for her and her family. All these conditions bring about uncovered expenses. The idea of using my auction site, Sterling Sports Auctions, as a centralized venue for raising money was mentioned and I volunteered to help put together a section in my October auction for donated items. I have already begun accepting items and will continue through October 10. Items received for the purpose of assisting with the care of Kadence Woodfin will be listed as such throughout the auction.

Anyone interested in donating auction lots to this cause can send to either of the following addresses:

SSA LLC
PO Box 1937
Poughkeepsie NY 12601

FedEx or UPS shipments can be sent to:

SSA LLC
2600 South Road
Suite 44-312
Poughkeepsie NY 12601

Please designate the lots as benefit lots when you send them. They will then be listed under a centralized consignment account for Kadence Woodfin with proceeds going to her care upon the conclusion of the auction.

Please feel free to call or email with any questions or for more information.

Thank you,

Brian Dwyer
brian@sterlingsportsauctions.com
845-849-1276

peterose4hof
09-19-2011, 10:39 AM
Will the donated items be subject to a consignment fee or just the buyer's premium?

spacktrack
09-19-2011, 10:51 AM
Good question Chris--there will be no charge to anyone consigning the items...the BP will still be charged with those fees being added to the donation amount going to Kadence.

Leon
09-19-2011, 11:44 AM
Brian- I will definitely donate something....

Something to consider, and the way these type auctions have been done before, is that everything was put into one lot. Then the whole lot and all BP was given to whatever cause it was going to. That way you don't spend a ton of time (time is money) on it and all of the proceeds go to the situation, including BP. Just a thought and a situation that has worked well in the past. Regardless of that I will be putting something in the mail for you in the next few days for this event. Good luck with it.

peterose4hof
09-19-2011, 11:55 AM
I will try and dig up a few things to donate. What's the deadline?

alanu
09-19-2011, 12:19 PM
I'd be more inclined to donate items if I knew the portion of the buyer's premium that would be donated to the cause.

Pup6913
09-20-2011, 06:57 AM
I have consigned all the T205's remaining from my set for this also. There is about 60+ cards all SGC graded in 4's and 5's. There are some very nice HOF'ers and hard to find commons, and SP's in there also.

FrankWakefield
09-20-2011, 07:34 AM
Seems to me that all fees should be waived. If the auction house wants folks to give stuff for a good cause, then the auction house should be equally willing to give their time, effort, and materials. I sincerely think this is a worthy cause. But if it is good enough for folks to give their stuff 100%, then the auction house should belly up, too. If it's only half of a good cause, then the auction house would be collecting half of their fees, and the proceeds would be split 50/50 between the consignor and the benefactor.

So Brian, this might be a time to reconsider your fees... do what Leon suggested, bunch stuff into a manageable number of lots that you'll auction free. And I mean free. If I were to donate a card I'd think I'd pay the postage to get it to you. So you pay the postage to get the card to the auction winner, you don't dip into the proceeds to cover that.

dstudeba
09-20-2011, 09:22 AM
I do not speak for Brian, and he can do what he wants, but I do not agree with all of Frank's post.

As I read Brian's post, he was approached by people wanting to help Andrew and a very worthy cause. Brian has (and will) spend time and resources to gather lots for which he will waive the consignor fee and a portion of the buyer fee.

Now according to Frank's post he expects not only for Brian to forego the entire buyer's premium but he is also expected to pay for shipping?

I think this is a very worthy cause, and I wish the best to Andrew and his family at this difficult time. I am a big fan of Brian and view him as one of the most trustworhy people in the business. I do not doubt that an excellent job will be done to raise as much money as possible for the family.

(If this post takes away from the point of the thread, and is somehow not helpful please feel free to delete it)

spacktrack
09-20-2011, 09:37 AM
Thank you all for the input here and through email. It's good to see several people coming forward with items already. There may be some lotting done with donated items, but many will be offered individually to maximize the value. With respect to the BP, it will still be charged and the entire amount will be added to the donation sent to Kadence. If your item sells for $100 then $115 will be sent. Shipping and insurance will still be the responsibility of the buyer. There will be many who win a regular auction item and a donated item and differentiating/prorating shipping would be too much in my opinion. Many here will attest that S/H/I is not a profit center for my regular auctions so that will continue here.

A few people have indicated that they don't have anything to donate but still want to help. I'll leave that up to the individual, but when the auction goes live, bidding early and often on the donated items will be a great support too.

Thanks,

Brian

peterose4hof
09-20-2011, 09:38 AM
If Brian wants to donate any or all of the buyer's premium that is his choice, but I don't think he should be expected to. He is already donating his time and efforts to the cause and he isn't charging any consignment fees. I think that is more than generous!

Edit: Whilst I was writing this post Brian offered to donate the entire buyer's premium. Bravo Brian and Bravo Sterling Sports Auctions!

Zach Wheat
09-20-2011, 09:47 AM
If Brian wants to donate any or all of the buyer's premium that is his choice, but I don't think he should be expected to. He is already donating his time and efforts to the cause and he isn't charging any consignment fees. I think that is more than generous!

Edit: Whilst I was writing this post Brian offered to donate the entire buyer's premium. Bravo Brian and Bravo Sterling Sports Auctions!

Agreed whole heartedly. Way to go Brian! Thanks for doing this.

ZWheat

Matthew H
09-20-2011, 10:22 AM
Great idea! I'm in!

alanu
09-20-2011, 10:52 AM
Thank you all for the input here and through email. It's good to see several people coming forward with items already. There may be some lotting done with donated items, but many will be offered individually to maximize the value. With respect to the BP, it will still be charged and the entire amount will be added to the donation sent to Kadence. If your item sells for $100 then $115 will be sent. Shipping and insurance will still be the responsibility of the buyer. There will be many who win a regular auction item and a donated item and differentiating/prorating shipping would be too much in my opinion. Many here will attest that S/H/I is not a profit center for my regular auctions so that will continue here.

A few people have indicated that they don't have anything to donate but still want to help. I'll leave that up to the individual, but when the auction goes live, bidding early and often on the donated items will be a great support too.

Thanks,

Brian

Brian, that sounds great and is very generous considering the amount of time you will be investing. I'll put something in the mail this weekend.

-Alan

E93
09-20-2011, 11:01 AM
Brian,
Wonderful gesture.
JimB

Ladder7
09-20-2011, 11:30 AM
Brian, terrific thing.

The comment Frank made, I think was a good one. It seems he wants Andrew to obtain the maximum for his daughter's care. Though perhaps a private message would have been a better method of communicating it.

Andrew, best wishes to you and yours. Steve

ibuysportsephemera
09-20-2011, 11:42 AM
Brian,

I live nearby in Orange County. I would be happy to donate my time to assist you in anyway possible. Please let me know if there is anything that you need.

Jeff

Buythatcard
09-20-2011, 12:18 PM
I don't personally know Brian but I think that he is doing a wonderful thing putting this together for Andrew. I met Andrew for the first time at the Chicago National and had no idea that he was going thru such hard times. He never once complained about anything and he seemed like a nice guy.

Is there a way to give actual cash donations instead of items for the auction? I will be sending one or the other.

kcohen
09-20-2011, 12:19 PM
Don't understand the reason for the back and forth on the BP. In post #3, Brian stated very clearly (IMO) that "the BP will still be charged with those fees being added to the donation amount going to Kadence."

dstudeba
09-20-2011, 12:31 PM
The back and forth was before post #3 was clarified.

spacktrack
09-20-2011, 12:44 PM
Jeff--thank you for the offer--I will be sure to keep you posted.

Ken--as Dan mentioned, I edited post #3 for clarity after the BP amount was cleared up--didn't want any contradiction in the thread.

Howard--I'll drop you a PM.

Thanks,

Brian

sycks22
09-20-2011, 03:03 PM
Brian is a class act. It's nice to see the net54 family coming together.

spacktrack
09-20-2011, 05:06 PM
A few additions...

The auction will be online starting October 13 or 14 and will run for the standard two weeks.

Raw cards are great for donations. This will likely be an area where I combine items into lots moreso than graded cards, but they'll be auctioned just the same.

Monetary donations can be sent via check to the PO Box address in the first post or via Paypal to info@sterlingsportsauctions.com.

At the end of the auction, I'll be working with Andrew on a list of items most needed for Kadence's care that are not covered by insurance. I'll be purchasing items such as specialty food, diapers, bed linens, and gas cards and then shipping them to Andrew on behalf of the Net54 family.

Thank you,

Brian

teetwoohsix
09-27-2011, 12:19 AM
Bumping this thread for the cause. Brian, this is a very nice thing you are doing for Kadence, and Andrew I'm wishing you all the best. I'll get something out tomorrow morning (or afternoon).

Sincerely, Clayton

scottglevy
09-28-2011, 08:44 AM
Deadline?

What is your deadline for receipt of donated items?

Thanks,
Scott

spacktrack
09-28-2011, 09:18 AM
The deadline is October 10.

Thanks,

Brian

Big Six
09-28-2011, 09:40 AM
While I don't have any items to auction off, I look forward to bidding in the October auction...winning something will feel even better than usual. And it's worth saying again...this is a REALLY classy thing for Brian and Sterling to be doing...just really classy.

tiger8mush
09-29-2011, 07:39 PM
I've got a package ready to go in the mail tomorrow Brian. Thanks for your effort and best wishes to the Woodfin family - especially Kadence.

Rob
:)

BobbyVCP
09-30-2011, 09:18 AM
I want to donate a Yearly membership to VCP to be added to the auction. I emailed Brian directly and still have not heard back. My father passed away 11 years ago a month before my first daughter was born from leukemia.

spacktrack
09-30-2011, 09:24 AM
Bobby, a VCP membership for the auction would be a great addition. I got your email last night during my auction close...thank you.

spacktrack
10-03-2011, 06:24 PM
Just a reminder that this is the final week to send in contributions to this benefit auction. I've received many items already, including contributions from six board members in today's mail and some monetary donations via Paypal. I've PMed acknowledgement of receiving items to anyone who included their username but there was at least one package without any contact information beyond a return mailing address. If you want to know if I've received your items, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Thank you to all for your generosity and thank you to those of you who have e-mailed and called pledging to bid when the auction goes live.

Brian

bbcard1
10-03-2011, 08:29 PM
That's rough...there will be some tough times, but your daughter will make it through. I will say a little prayer and I am sure I can find something to contribute.

Anthony S.
10-06-2011, 11:03 AM
A bump for all the procrastinators (like myself) before this falls off the 1st page.

aquarius31
10-07-2011, 01:29 PM
Hi Brian,
I did not have a chance to send out the items until today. Will send you a note with tracking #'s and items sent. I hope it gets there before the deadline although post office closed on Monday:(

spacktrack
10-14-2011, 12:49 PM
Just wanted to make a quick update post to mention that the auction is now live. You'll see that there are several dozen lots that will benefit Kadence. Each lot has her name in the description, so you can search the auction for 'Kadence Woodfin' to be taken directly to benefit lots.

I also wanted to acknowledge the many board members who donated items or services for the auction and/or made monetary donations via Paypal which will be added to the final tally.

I will continue to accept Paypal or check donations for Kadence throughout the auction if anyone is interested. Please PM me for details.

Thanks again

Brian
www.sterlingsportsauctions.com

alanu
10-16-2011, 12:29 AM
bump, just to remind everyone of this worthy cause and to bid on the items

spacktrack
10-27-2011, 09:06 AM
Just a reminder that the auction ends tonight. To see any items donated for the benefit of Kadence Woodfin, just type her name into the search bar.

Thanks again to all those who have donated and/or bid!

Good luck tonight.

Brian
www.SterlingSportsAuctions.com

Pup6913
10-27-2011, 07:02 PM
Looks like there is about an hr left to bid on the cards. Best of luck to all who bid and bid and bid and bid. ;);) :D Thank you all for everything.

http://www.sterlingsportsauctions.com/catalog.aspx