PDA

View Full Version : Value Help: 1934 Who's Who Book With Autographs

daves_resale_shop
09-16-2011, 01:03 PM
Gents,

I would like to get your opinions on the value of this book that I recently picked up...

Here are the details:
1935 Who's Who in the American League (1934 year in review)
*Hardbound (binding beatup
*Loaded with photos
*110 pages
*Book has roughly 23 Autographs-some signed on the book, others cut from other pieces and pasted on. (all related to or played for the senators)

Key Autos are as follows:
*Walter Johnson
*Arch Mcdonald-First radio announcer for the Yankees & Senators
*Jake Powell (2)-Interesting but pitiful story on this guy... Like a pre world war II John Rocker

Here is the crappy part... A majority of the autos including the walter johnson have been traced over in pen by the original owner (many were originally in pencil)

I would like to get your thoughts and opinions on value... I realize that a good Johnson cut will typically fall in the 1-2k range, but I realize this one will hold Significantly lower value based on the fact that it has been traced over...

I am open to Selling/Trading the item if anyone has an interest...

Thank you for your time,
David

GrayGhost
09-16-2011, 07:52 PM
Not sure on value, but traced over or not, that Johnson looks really pretty shaky. Ive never seen a "rushed" Johnson, and that last name looked like he signed it while running away.

cool piece tho, and Im curious what others think of the Walter.

daves_resale_shop
09-17-2011, 04:22 AM
I agree that the seperation in the johnson looks a little off... The person that I got the piece from (a friend) had a dealer bring the book to the national to see if it was even "authenticatable" the feedback was yes & that the Johnson looked good, but would come back "traced over in an unknown hand"

GrayGhost
09-17-2011, 06:04 AM
As said, the separation looks ragged, and the rest COULD be just a sloppy "trail off" as he was walking to his car or whatever. This Johnson is AWESOME.

That said, still a really cool book. I don't think it would fetch a lot tho, due to the tracing and such.

prewarsports
09-17-2011, 08:26 AM
Due to the Johnson being almost a worthless (but still cool) signature. The rest plus the book might fetch $300. The Arch McDonald can fetch $200 by himself on a nice album page but he is pretty ugly in there from a scorecard and a wierd cut so I would say he is only about $40-$50 in there. You might be able to get more but that is right around where it would end up in an ebay or other online auction.

Rhys

GrayGhost
09-17-2011, 08:57 PM
Rhys, does that Johnson Look ok to you?

prewarsports
09-17-2011, 09:50 PM
My personal guess is that it was signed in pencil and the peson tried to do a decent job tracing over and lost track of what he/she was doing on the last name and messed it up or something. It is impossible to tell without seeing it in hand and possibly magnifying it, but that is my hunch. Since it had no monetary value when it was glued in the book, I doubt it is a forgery and the first name looks pretty good for a trace job. Just a guess.

GrayGhost
09-17-2011, 10:00 PM
Thanks sir.