PDA

View Full Version : Charles Conlon...

GKreindler
09-15-2011, 09:44 PM
Hey all,

Hope everyone's having a great week.

So, I don't know how many of y'all know this, but there's a new Charles Conlon book that came out at the beginning of the month, one which I only discovered a few nights ago. It's entitled 'The Big Show', and is written by both Neal and Constance McCabe, the same folks who brought us 'Baseball's Golden Age' almost 20 years ago.

I just received the book today and though I haven't been able to fully digest it, it has received some ample perusing. The style and layout is almost exactly like the older book, and thankfully, it seems as if none of the photos are duplicates. The reproductions are a little bit different in terms of quality however, and at times, because of the chosen range of values, can even feel a tiny bit washed out.

Now, for the most part, the players depicted aren't Hall of Famers (with the exception of some here and there), but the the photos themselves are no less compelling than the immortal brethren of the last effort. Some of these new portraits just absolutely sing, and are able to give an amazing insight to the souls of some people we might not have ever heard of otherwise. Because of that and the wonderful text, they all seem just as familiar as Ruth and Cobb.

I tell ya, what an eye that Conlon had.

For those of you who haven't seen it and want to get your hands on one, it's available for a nice price on Amazon.com right now:

http://www.amazon.com/Big-Show-Charles-Baseball-Photographs/dp/1419700693/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1316144251&sr=1-2

Anywho, just thought I'd spread the word for you lovers of amazing baseball images (and I know they're plenty of you)!

Graig

scmavl
09-16-2011, 07:40 AM
Thanks Graig, I just asked my wife to add it to her next Amazon book order (which are basically weekly). I really enjoyed Baseball's Golden Age which moved me to recently purchase my first Conlon original photo. As you said, such a great eye!

horzverti
09-16-2011, 08:34 AM
Yep, just released this month. I have spent two lunch hours perusing it over at Barnes & Noble. I am waiting to buy it because I am already in the middle of about a half-dozen other baseball books. I keep telling myself, "self, remain patient and strong...they will print more."

I am pumped that the eccentric Giants hurler Bugs Raymond shot made the book because I have the original. It is interesting to see how much of the
original image was cropped out in my photo. There is a wide expanse of beautiful Hilltop Park spread out behind him that I hadn't seen before. Just stunning. Check it out Graig...I know you'll appreciate it for sure.

Now about the book...only one word...awesome.

Thank you to Constance McCabe for staying persistant in bugging her brother Neal to view the original Sporting News (now possessed by Rogers Archives) Conlon negs. The McCabes are the authors.