PDA

View Full Version : Anyone see this on ebay yet? Black Backed F & J Smiths?

Golfcollector
09-08-2011, 07:21 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Complete-Set-1902-F-J-Smith-Golfers-Rare-Black-Back-Variety-ONE-KIND-/190574729695?pt=US_Golf_Trading_Cards&hash=item2c5f2399df

I know the guy that is selling these. I have bought, sold , and traded a LOT of vintage golf cards with him over the years.

I have seen them in person. I made him an offer on them but he wants to throw them out to the market first as he is looking for more than I can offer him right now.

What do you guys all think? I finally picked up my first F & J Smith just about a month ago - A Blue Backed Vardon. Have not got it graded yet...but I can tell looking at the pop report these things are brutal!

Leon
09-08-2011, 07:24 PM
I am not a golf collector but those are neat. I find one of his statements a wee bit disturbing. He says he is certain another set will never be found? Really, how so?

bijoem
09-14-2011, 09:14 AM
Dave -

Is it just the blue version printed really heavy blue? That would be my guess but I haven't seen the cards. Heavy, heavy blue can look black.

It could also indeed just be black. Especially considering that the fronts are black - its easy to believe the fronts were printed first, and a pressman backed up the sheets with the black ink still in the press. May have realized the error quickly - but these cards survived.

From a collectibility standpoint....
I'm not sure why - but this type of 'variation' is less appealing to me than the red or the blue backs.

I would much rather have a full set in red or blue than with this less common black back.

Thats just my opinion.

Golfcollector
09-14-2011, 04:25 PM
I can tell you from seeing them in person they are definately black backed. They are in great shape from a appearance standpoint. I just wish I had the $$$ he is looking to get for them.

Doesn't look like any offers on them yet, so curious what will happen if they don't sell? Maybe my initial shot to grab them will be more in line!

famousgolfers
09-16-2011, 11:55 AM
Yes, I also saw these. Something just doesn’t feel right to me about them. I personally don’t put a lot in the fact that PSA graded it Authentic. I thought I remember another seller selling these individually a few months back. I think he was from England. So I assume “buggeye” bought them from him, if my memory is correct.

famousgolfers
09-16-2011, 11:57 AM
Dave,
BTW, what sort of condition is your Blue Back Vardon in? Either way, nice pickup.
Thanks,
Jason

thewagster
09-16-2011, 02:44 PM
I agree with Dave - I think some of these cards were offered on ebay - from the uk not too long ago (last 3 months) - I remember seeing them also.

Talking of unusual items - not too long ago I picked up a presentation set of 3 jovial golfers - two lightly mounted mint sets from "Mardon Hall & Son" the Bristol printers. - They are blank on one side - one side is printed with the front and the other printed with the back. They make a great display - and I have always liked this set. - especially as I have played a lot of the holes.

Golfcollector
09-17-2011, 07:12 AM
The Blue back Vardon I have is pretty decent, I have not sent it in yet as I am waiting until I have enough stuff to justify sending it in to PSA. I got it from another auction house in England, I found radomly a few months ago.

Looks like the Black backed cards sold for $3500...wonder who bought them? not me. I made him an offer but that is more than I could offer right now....