PDA

View Full Version : 1956 KC Athletics Ball

mschwade
09-07-2011, 08:32 AM
Hi all, I need a little help please. This ball was signed by 26 members of the 1956 Kansas City Athletics when they visited Cleveland. I've identified 25 of the 26 and having troubles with the the one that appears below Lou Boudreau. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/1080/1135701.JPG

mschwade
09-07-2011, 08:42 AM
I figured it out.. It's Oscar "Ski" Melillo, who was an assistant coach for KC that season.

Here's all the signatures on the ball:

Lou Boudreau
Harry Craft
Oscar Melillo
Jack Crimian
Art Ditmar
Tom Gorman
Troy Herriage
Alex Kellner
Lou Kretlow
Tommy Lasorda
Jack McMahan
Jose Santiago
Bobby Shantz
Joe Ginsberg
Tim Thompson
Mike Baxes
Joe DeMaestri
Jim Finigan
Hector Lopez
Rance Pless
Vic Power
Eddie Robinson
Harry Simpson
Lou Skizas
Enos Slaughter
Gus Zernial

Any idea what the value of this ball may be? It was signed an an official American League Baseball. Thanks!

oaks1912
09-07-2011, 08:42 AM
Looks like Oscar Melillo who was coaching at the time

mschwade
09-07-2011, 09:15 AM
Thanks Oaks, any idea of the value of the ball with the above listed players and coaches?

perezfan
09-07-2011, 04:36 PM
My guess (assuming all panels are clean) is $300 - $400. If there are any clubhouse sigs, or un-pictured condition issues (scuffs, smudges, other flaws) that value would be reduced.

Your post gave me a perfect excuse to post these pics... I have Oscar Melillo's Uniform from this very season. See below, as it's a very attractive style (pre-dating their green/yellow color scheme).

mschwade
09-07-2011, 07:48 PM
That is AWESOME Perez! Great piece!

Tigerden
09-07-2011, 08:10 PM
Mark that is an awesome jersey!! Funny, I was visiting my parents this weekend and talking with one of their close friends about the A's. He was a pitcher from Chicago and in the KC Athletics farm system for six years in the late 50's and early sixties. Made it to triple A but not the big leagues. His name was Chuck Kowalski and played and competed with many players who would eventually make the big leagues, including Frank Howard. Thanks for sharing.

perezfan
09-08-2011, 01:44 AM
That's a good story, Adam...

It's always amazing to me how many great players fail to ever make it to the majors. I suppose it takes a combination of exceptional talent, good timing, good attitude, good luck, and good health. ;)