PDA

View Full Version : Hello everyone. Newbie here.

mjmj1966
09-05-2011, 02:17 PM
Want to introduce myself to everyone. A few may know me from another site. Name is Mike and I've been collecting vintage Phillies for about 6 months although I've been in the hobby since the late 70's. Wish I still had those cards. Switched to vintage because I was tired of spending big money to complete mid-range current sets. All the autos, GU, and SPs were killing me and the quality is getting worse.

Mostly buying graded cards because I'm terrible at buying raw cards. Can't tell the difference between nm-mt and nm and can't tell if a card has been altered in any way. Have around 100 vintage Phiilies cards mostly from the 50's. Also have a HOF graded RC collection as a side project. Have around 15 of those with my oldest being a 1960 PSA 5 Yaz.

I was referred to this site by a member who is also on the other site. Said I can get some helpfull info here. I have very limited resources as far as shows and LCS's go so I rely a lot on the Bay for my cards and sites like this for advice.

Thanks for your time and I look forward to spending a lot of time here.

Mike

Jcfowler6
09-05-2011, 02:29 PM
Welcome and enjoy!

I assure you that there is a wealth of great knowledge on this sight myself not included in that though.

Robextend
09-05-2011, 02:31 PM
There are quite a few HOF RC collectors on this forum, including myself.

Welcome aboard, and enjoy!

Rob

E93
09-05-2011, 02:39 PM
Welcome aboard Mike.
JimB

joeadcock
09-05-2011, 03:27 PM
Welcome to the Forum

Bambino
09-05-2011, 03:37 PM
I'm new to the forum as well - and I am really enjoying all the photos and knowledge you guys share.

I just recently got back into the hobby and I am also focusing on HOF RC's. I can't really afford the highly graded ones, but luckily I just love having the cards - even if they are all beat up. I've got most of the hall of famers from the 60's to 80's covered - so this is when things get really interesting (and really expensive.) I've decided that before a certain year (maybe 1948) I will settle for any card from HOF players of those eras. This should save me from having to sell a kidney to buy a Lou Gehrig RC :D

Is there a thread for general questions from newer collectors? I'd hate to start a thread for every question that pops into my head.

FrankWakefield
09-05-2011, 03:40 PM
Welcome, Mike. Hope you enjoy it.

"wealth of knowledge", sometimes I perceive it to be a bankruptcy of knowledge... sometimes some of us, including me, misbehave a bit, we get to whining and snapping at one another. When you see that, have patience. We'll be ok, so stay with us.

Wayne
09-05-2011, 06:04 PM
Welcome. I too am new. Even though it says 2009 but I just recently started to post and frequent this site.

teetwoohsix
09-06-2011, 12:55 AM
Welcome & good luck hunting :)

Sincerely, Clayton

Rickyy
09-06-2011, 01:25 AM
Welcome! This is a great place for resources...also B/S/T with a great bunch of people!

Ricky Y

jbbama
09-06-2011, 07:36 AM
Greetings! You now have a wealth of knowledge at your fingertips.

rc4157
09-06-2011, 04:45 PM
Welcome aboard to all of the newcomers, as Frank said, it can get interesting at times but it usually works out well eventually. Just keep some popcorn at your side and enjoy the show.
RC

mjmj1966
09-06-2011, 05:27 PM
Thanks to everyone welcoming me aboard. I have read alot of post the last few days and see that just about every set possible is pretty much collected here. Have seen some very nice pickups and collections. I also like the fact that different card topics are covered here. Topics like best looking sets, cards you personally took out of circulation, etc. are great reads. I owe one to the person that recommended me to this site.

Mike

Leon
09-06-2011, 07:20 PM
Thanks to everyone welcoming me aboard. I have read alot of post the last few days and see that just about every set possible is pretty much collected here. Have seen some very nice pickups and collections. I also like the fact that different card topics are covered here. Topics like best looking sets, cards you personally took out of circulation, etc. are great reads. I owe one to the person that recommended me to this site.

Mike

Mike, I don't think I welcomed you aboard yet, so welcome aboard!! The more you participate the better the forum will be. It's just that easy. If you do a search on almost anything you can think of, vintage card related, you will find it. We have over 10 yrs of information on this site...You might see some pretty good (and funny) bickering too, as almost all families have a bit of dysfunctional to them...take care and happy collecting.

ls7plus
09-07-2011, 05:03 PM
Mike, I don't think I welcomed you aboard yet, so welcome aboard!! The more you participate the better the forum will be. It's just that easy. If you do a search on almost anything you can think of, vintage card related, you will find it. We have over 10 yrs of information on this site...You might see some pretty good (and funny) bickering too, as almost all families have a bit of dysfunctional to them...take care and happy collecting.

Welcome, Mike. Leon hit the nail on the head--this site has been invaluable for me, and despite the occasional bickering (often in the interests of substantial reasons for debate, which is valuable in and of itself), you will find this forum to hold a tremendous wealth of both knowledge and opinion. Just consider both with an open mind, and enjoy!

Thanks to all who have been so gracious in responding to my own questions!

Larry