PDA

View Full Version : Photo ID Help - Burke Stamps

thecatspajamas
09-03-2011, 11:09 PM
Anyone recognize the players in these 4 Burke Photo Stamps? All would be from George Burke photos. Top left Detroit player looks to be 1939-49 era, top right Dodgers player looks like 1939-43. All look familiar to me, like I've seen the larger postcard-sized versions before, but at this point that may just be because I've stared at them for so long while going through some 2000+ scans of Burke photos I have archived. At this point, my eyes are so bleary I could very well have overlooked any larger scan I may have on file, so any help from those with fresher eyes would be appreciated.

Scott Garner
09-04-2011, 04:48 AM
Hi Lance,

The player on the top left is Virgil Trucks. He threw 2 no-hitters with the Detroit Tigers in 1952. BTW, your time frame seems about right; Virgil played for the Tigers between 1941-1952.

I hope this helps!

thecatspajamas
09-04-2011, 01:17 PM
Scott,
Thanks for the Trucks ID. Looks like I don't have a scan of the larger-size Burke photo for him after all. Very much appreciated!

Now just 3 more to go...

HexsHeroes
09-04-2011, 02:31 PM

. . . lower right stamp image of Roger "Doc" Cramer ?

JLange
09-04-2011, 08:20 PM
Looks like Joe Sewell, but the time frame doesn't seem to work then. Sewell played for Cleveland from 1920-1930, and ended his career with the Yankees in 1933. Is it possible some of the Burke stamps pictured retired players?

thecatspajamas
09-04-2011, 10:48 PM
Got a tip via PM (thanks Dwight) that these are, clockwise from top left: Virgil Trucks, Freddie Fitzsimmons, Doc Cramer and Joe Sewell. So that doubles up on several of the IDs given previously, and I feel comfortable with all four. Thanks for your help guys!

As for the question on the Joe Sewell photo, Burke began photographing players in 1929 but did on occasion reproduce earlier photos by other photographers to add to his catalog of images. These were sometimes noted as reproductions in the stamping on the back, sometimes not. This particular image looks to be from 1927 at the latest judging by the socks.

mr2686
09-08-2011, 09:26 AM
Sorry I didn't see this until now, but the bottom right one is definitely "Doc" Cramer. Here's a signed postcard that looks like it was from the same session: