PDA

View Full Version : I get suspicious when...

mintacular
09-03-2011, 08:07 PM
A seller has, let's just say, 100 1967 baseball cards listed with 10 professionally graded NM-MT or better with (justifiably) high $ price tags but then the other 90 raw cards a handful of which (often stars) liisted as NM or better, also with high $ tags...My common sense tells me these cards were also sent in and were either rejected for not reaching min grade (and therefore have some flaw the submitter missed) or worse case scenario are altered, etc. Am I just paranoid or is my common sense radar accurate?

CharleyBrown
09-03-2011, 08:18 PM
I usually feel the same way, so I don't think you're being paranoid.

Doug
09-03-2011, 11:05 PM
It reminds me of a frosted mini wheats commercial. The rational side in me can't see someone submitting 100 cards to only have 10 actually get numerical grades and would assume that he just picked out the 10 best cards and sent those in. The paranoid side in me would say he submitted all of them and only 10 got through and that something was probably up with them as well. I'd say either scenario is possible, but if there was any question on my part I would rather err on the side of caution.

4k6
09-04-2011, 12:56 AM
I would say that paranoia is essential when buying, especially off ebay. It's really a matter of wading through and filtering out all the crap/nonsense/scams. Otherwise expect disappointment. Stay paranoid.

hangman62
09-04-2011, 06:13 AM
Yes, I agree...thats similar to when a seller discribes " a pile of 68T cards loaded with stars,..and " dont have time to go thru them all"..and show a scan of a pile of 68s with the top few cards showing Aparicio,Wilhelm,and Bunning....chances are every card under that is a ..no name common

RalG

novakjr
09-04-2011, 06:53 AM
Yes, I agree...thats similar to when a seller discribes " a pile of 68T cards loaded with stars,..and " dont have time to go thru them all"..and show a scan of a pile of 68s with the top few cards showing Aparicio,Wilhelm,and Bunning....chances are every card under that is a ..no name common

RalG

Kinda like the generic cubes at Kmart and such. You know the ones that usually tease you with generic cards of decent named players, only to find out that the biggest names in the rest of the cube are the likes of Wally Joyner, Jack McDowell, Todd Hundley and Cory Snyder.

yankeeno7
09-10-2011, 09:54 PM
Too a certain point that holds true. But also, someone may have a group of real nice cards and just submit low pops cuz they know even if they get 7s or 8s, they may not get their money back. Really hard to say sometimes.