PDA

View Full Version : Joe Pelaez Collection consigned to REA

glchen
09-02-2011, 02:39 PM
I don't really know Joe Peleaz since I'm a newer board member, but I've heard that he was a long time board member on net54. I received an email from REA today, and it looks like his family has consigned his collection to the next REA auction, which has a nice write up here: Link (http://blog.robertedwardauctions.com/?p=539) The highlights are the T206 Doyle NY Nat'l and T206 Plank.

Robextend
09-02-2011, 02:51 PM
Thanks for the link Gary, that really is a nice write up. Great job by REA.

slidekellyslide
09-02-2011, 03:00 PM
Joe was truly one of a kind.

Edited to add photo of Joe's T206 Plank...Joe would definitely not approve of his name being on a slab. :)

barrysloate
09-02-2011, 03:40 PM
There were two things Joe really didn't like: slabs, and yours truly.:o

drc
09-02-2011, 03:54 PM
There were numerous others, Barry. Leon had to give him a time out once or twice.

Bosox Blair
09-02-2011, 03:57 PM
Just saw the REA blog myself - very cool. Bodes well for another great REA auction in 2012!

Cheers,
Blair

chaddurbin
09-02-2011, 04:04 PM
joe was out there for sure...but nice write up and nice collection. seeing joe suddenly reminds me of julie...for a sec there i thought that was julie's old plank (but i don't think so).

brass_rat
09-02-2011, 04:14 PM
One thing that's nice to see is that REA got the cards into slabs before someone else could think twice about cleaning them in any way... I wonder whose fingerprint is on the back of the Plank (between Cap and Cig)...

Nice cards...
Steve

Leon
09-02-2011, 04:51 PM
I had several long conversations with Joe but never got to meet him in person. Certainly my loss in that respect.

I remember him getting into a few heated debates on the board. I told him he could stay as long as he wouldn't trounce upon 3 individuals. He said he couldn't do that so he would just leave. He left on his own accord. He never was banned from this board. I always liked Joe. Even during his hiatus he and I emailed back and forth quite frequently. Unlike someone else who can't control himself, Joe never did get upset with me...at least about that. I always considered Joe as part of the "old guard". They are a generation that we are losing every day and it's a shame. Those morals and philosophies (in general) are something our country could use again, imo.

Jewish-collector
09-02-2011, 05:33 PM
I saw Joe several times at the Chantilly show. He even met up with us at lunch once. He was a very unique guy. Always interesting to listen to.

slidekellyslide
09-02-2011, 05:36 PM
There were numerous others, Barry. Leon had to give him a time out once or twice.

Yep, and that's when he started emailing me to let me know how he felt about certain subjects that he was reading on the board, but could not reply to...we had some great conversations about cards and life over the years...I really liked that old dude.

Jason Carota
09-02-2011, 06:04 PM
That Plank is amazing. I received quite an education in prewar cards from Joe on multiple occasions.

Kenny Cole
09-02-2011, 08:06 PM
Joe was great. Sometimes we fought, sometimes we agreed, but you always knew where you stood. That's fair. Even when he was basically telling you (me) what an idiot you were (again, me), he told good stories that sort of diminished the irritation. When we got sideways and I went after him, which was seldom, he never took it personally. Leon's right, he was part of the old guard and there aren't too many of them around anymore. Apart from the fact that he would be absolutely aghast to know that some of his cards had been graded, I hope they do well for his family's sake.

Pup6913
09-02-2011, 08:17 PM
I never got to meet Joe P. but I do remember on several occasions he sent me a few encouraging emails about not giving up on my collecting because of a few turds making it miserable. I was looking forward to last yrs nationals in Balt. and a chance to visit his grave at Arlington and thank him for the kind words. Joe is missed greatly and I didn't even know him that well:(

zimp
09-02-2011, 09:35 PM
I had known Joe for many years....More as a friend than a collector.....We spent many nights in bars at shows just talking.....He once told me he would love to have Roberto Clemente's autograph....I told him my story of seeing Roberto when he was in the hospital after running into the wall at Forbes Field...I was visiting my grandfather at the hospital and took a chance of seeing if I could get into seeing Roberto....I asked a nurse and she said she would check....to my surprise she came back and said yes.....I went into his room and there was Mrs. Clemente and her mother sitting there and Roberto laying in bed.....I talked to him for about 5 minutes but had a hard time understanding what he was saying because of his accent.....as I was leaving I asked for his autograph but the only thing I could find was a sales slip from the gift shop.....so he sign that.....the next time I saw Joe I gave it to him....He couldn't believe it but never stopped thanking me for it....Sure do miss seeing Joe and just talking about life

CharleyBrown
09-02-2011, 09:38 PM
Bill, that's a great story, and a testament to Clemente's character as well. Never got the chance to speak with Joe, as I just found this board this year. Kinda wish I had though now as it seems like he had a wealth of knowledge.

ValKehl
09-02-2011, 09:40 PM
Andrew, great post!

Although we lived less than 20 miles from one another, I got introduced to Joe only a couple of years ago at a Chantilly Show. What an interesting character and passionate collector! It came to light that I had a few T210 dupes that he needed for this set that he was working on, but he became ill before we were able to do a trade.

RIP Joe,
Val

oldjudge
09-03-2011, 09:05 AM
A great guy with a wonderful sense of humor. Joe knew that I, like hiself, was born in NYC, and that was our bond. He would always send me emails with jokes in them. He was also so passionate about his collecting; if he was on the phone with you you could count on an hour plus, maybe plus plus, conversation. God bless you Joe!

joeadcock
09-03-2011, 12:06 PM
Per your quote on morals and philo.

Agreed Leon.

sox1903wschamp
09-03-2011, 01:53 PM
I had several long conversations with Joe but never got to meet him in person. Certainly my loss in that respect.

I remember him getting into a few heated debates on the board. I told him he could stay as long as he wouldn't trounce upon 3 individuals. He said he couldn't do that so he would just leave. He left on his own accord. He never was banned from this board. I always liked Joe. Even during his hiatus he and I emailed back and forth quite frequently. Unlike someone else who can't control himself, Joe never did get upset with me...at least about that. I always considered Joe as part of the "old guard". They are a generation that we are losing every day and it's a shame. Those morals and philosophies (in general) are something our country could use again, imo.

Joe told the story about the Texas National and the Card Doctor(s) numerous times on this board. He had a strong passion. I always looked forward to what he had to say and he had my respect. Glad to see his collection is being dispersed professionally.

scgaynor
09-03-2011, 02:07 PM
Joe, myself and Jeff Eastland used to get together after the Chantilly show for dinner for the first few years of the show in the late 1990's. I can honestly say that those conversations were some of the most memorable that I had in this business and he was a really good guy. There were not alot of guys like Joe!

ethicsprof
09-03-2011, 05:20 PM
Dr. Frank and Leon, I wholeheartedly agree.

all the best,
barry