PDA

View Full Version : Blumstein v. Sports Immortals

iggyman
09-01-2011, 02:51 PM
Talk amongst yourselves...

http://www.cardboardconnection.com/law-of-cards-recent-case-clarifies-duty-of-care-owed-by-memorabilia-appraisers

Lovely Day

Leon
09-01-2011, 04:06 PM
Interesting to note that a poor evaluation could possibly be held against you, if you purport to be an expert. At least that is what I think I got out of that. Back to autographs and the issues surrounding that part of our hobby. Caveat Emptor.

I am not degrading the autograph industry but only noting the continued issues surrounding authentication. Autograph collecting is a great hobby but one where folks really need to educate themselves.

Exhibitman
09-01-2011, 05:01 PM
Yawn. That a general duty of care is generally applicable to appraisers is not groundbreaking news as it has been true for every professional service provider for decades in most jurisdictions.

drc
09-01-2011, 05:08 PM
I would be curious how the appraiser came up with $400,000. Appraisers can sometimes resemble alchemists in that you don't know exactly what they're doing or how they do it.

Tabe
09-01-2011, 05:32 PM
Yawn. That a general duty of care is generally applicable to appraisers is not groundbreaking news as it has been true for every professional service provider for decades in most jurisdictions.
Yeah, this looks like basically a non-story to me. The guy doing the appraisal has act with reasonable standard - not exactly earth-shattering.

Tabe