PDA

View Full Version : How much does the "value" of a card...

mintacular
08-29-2011, 08:06 PM
depend on how you acquired it? I must say some of what is in my PC holds higher value based on how I acquired that particular card...Did I buy it in person (if so from whom?) or at random online? Did I pick the card up raw and subbed it and got a high grade? Or, most consequently, did I own the card as a kid and it therefore it is a sacred cow?

Likewise, is it possible that when we criticize certain small sellers at shows when we want an '84 Topps Mattingly for $3 and they want $15 for it that they are trying to salvage their own personal investment into that card? Should a "Lionel Carter" card count for more? In the end a VG M116 is an M116, still looks the same....

In short, from a purely cold calculated perspective a card should it be worth what it is worth based on condition? And the extraneous factors as to how it was acquired (theoretically) should not come into play, right? Your thoughts...

bbcard1
08-29-2011, 08:15 PM
Just adds context to your collection...making it more valuable to you. I have a few cards I got from Frank Nagy.

almostdone
08-29-2011, 08:20 PM
Part (or most) of collecting as a hobby is nostalgia. To look back and have a "feeling" of satisfaction from owning a certain card or cards. I think part of the "warm fuzzy" feeling you might get is the memory of how you aquired it because it adds to the memory.
There have been many threads on sentamental value of collections and I think it is worthy in discussion of one's own persoanl collection. However, as far as resale value for the most part none of this matters. If something were to happen to me and my collection was sold off in an estate sale no one will care that my mom bought me this card as a kid or my wife bought me that one for our first Christmas.
Just my thoughts.
Drew

Cardboard Junkie
08-29-2011, 08:38 PM
My first 1953 Glendale Houtteman card took me forever to find, that has special value to me..........Recently acquiring a 1910 Tip Top Dreyfuss in ex+ may take the cake. Still hunting for any contemporary depiction of Dave Pierson who played for cinci in the 1870's (anyone?) aloha! dave.

rainier2004
08-29-2011, 10:13 PM
I have random cards on display, but multiple cards are gifts from family memebers including mother, father, in-laws and grandfather....these cards will be passed down.