PDA

View Full Version : E90-3's

t206 cubs
08-29-2011, 07:32 PM
Can someone tell me compared to other sets how hard the E90-3 set is to put together?

Thanks Chad

Leon
08-29-2011, 09:32 PM
Can someone tell me compared to other sets how hard the E90-3 set is to put together?

Thanks Chad

E90-3 isn't too tough to finish compared with the other more mainstream caramel sets of the era. I would say about middle of the pack, all things considered. There are set collectors that can give you better guidance though. I have always liked the Gandil from the set....

http://luckeycards.com/pe903gandil.jpg

caramelcard
08-29-2011, 09:38 PM
In my experience it's sneaky tough.

Leon's Gandil above is not cheap and a couple of cards can be hard to find. With some time and patience it's doable and a nice set.

Most of the cards are very difficult to find in anything better than VG condition.

Hahn, Payne, Cole and Purtell are tougher commons.

Rob

Leon
08-29-2011, 09:43 PM
And I should have mentioned there are quite a few color variations. I was not counting them when thinking of a complete set. Yes, Hahn, Archer, Payne, Gandil and one or two others seem to be near the top in scarcity for the set.

t206 cubs
08-30-2011, 02:55 PM
Was this set released only regionally? (Chicago area)

caramelcard
08-30-2011, 06:51 PM
There's some debate over that.

I think so, but pockets of these cards have been found on the west coast and in the south so folks have different theories.

Rob

murcerfan
08-30-2011, 08:10 PM
I was only aware of two cards having color variations :
Tinker and Payne both being done with blue and green.
Leon you say that quite a few have them...can you elaborate?

caramelcard
08-30-2011, 08:17 PM
Color variations have been found with:

Tinker
Payne
Cole
Smith
Dougherty
Archer

Might be missing one.

The greens turn blue.
The browns turn grey

I've heard a rumor of a Chance with no color, but haven't seen it.

Rob

Leon
08-30-2011, 08:18 PM
I was only aware of two cards having color variations :
Tinker and Payne both being done with blue and green.
Leon you say that quite a few have them...can you elaborate?

If you do a search on the board you will find all kinds of info with several other coloring variations. These re more printing errors, I think, than true variations. regards

E93
08-30-2011, 10:39 PM
There was a pretty big find of about 3 1/2 sets worth of E90-3s mostly ranging from gd-vg/ex about a year and a half ago. That brought a significant number of new examples into the hobby recently making the set seem a bit less challenging than it was even a few years ago.
JimB