PDA

View Full Version : Jaime Mendez Restoration

Peter_Spaeth
08-29-2011, 01:40 PM
He is up front that he restores baseball cards. I hear that he is good, which means that whatever his intentions, there likely are people using him to alter cards and get them past third party graders. This is much more a concern to me than shill bidding, which also was raised today and has been a crusade of others here in the past. Is this guy news to people?

http://www.restorationbyjm.com/index.php

danmckee
08-29-2011, 03:07 PM
I have used Jaime a few times in the past, he does excellent work. He restored a Darbys Chocolate card of McGraw for me that I sold to a friend. He has also restored a few Baltimore cabinets which I have kept some and sold a few. He restores the stuff, it is up to the owners to sell the items properly as restored. Dan.

Peter_Spaeth
08-29-2011, 03:16 PM
Dan, if he is that good, I fear everyone may not be as honest as you. On the items you sent in, could you detect the restoration, or do you think they would have made it past a TPG?

danmckee
08-29-2011, 03:20 PM
I don't think they could have made it by TPG. Unless they are skimmed over and not looked at. The work is excellent but you could still tell the stuff was worked on. Dan.

aljurgela
08-29-2011, 09:12 PM
Does anyone here have recommendations on photograph restorations?

Thanks.

sando69
08-29-2011, 10:27 PM
does anyone else find it amusing that the only two baseball cards displayed on the website, are a t206 izzy hoffman, & a 1982 topps mike schmidt! :confused:

Cerberus
08-29-2011, 11:19 PM
What I do find interesting, is that there are no baseball cards pictured among his "examples," nor are any baseball card people quoted, in his testimonials. I don't know what to make of that. It could mean that baseball card people, choose to utilize his services on the "down-low," and do not allow him to post their cards as examples. On the other hand, it could mean that his work, as Dan suggests, is not good enough to get past a decent TPG. I realize there are two cards pictured on the "cover page" of his site, but no specific examples of his work.

WhenItWasAHobby
08-30-2011, 06:35 AM
He is up front that he restores baseball cards. I hear that he is good, which means that whatever his intentions, there likely are people using him to alter cards and get them past third party graders. This is much more a concern to me than shill bidding, which also was raised today and has been a crusade of others here in the past. Is this guy news to people?

http://www.restorationbyjm.com/index.php

Intriguing thread Peter. Thanks for sharing.

I don't think they could have made it by TPG. Unless they are skimmed over and not looked at. The work is excellent but you could still tell the stuff was worked on. Dan.

Anyone who reads this message board for any length of time knows that "skimmed over and not looked at" seems to be a problem in my opinion for at least one of the major third party grading companies.

Peter_Spaeth
08-30-2011, 08:14 AM
It would certainly be revealing to see his client list.

08-30-2011, 08:21 AM
nm

hunterdutchess
08-30-2011, 10:13 AM
does anyone else find it amusing that the only two baseball cards displayed on the website, are a t206 izzy hoffman, & a 1982 topps mike schmidt! :confused:

Yeah, pay $100 to restore a 82 Schmidt so it sells for .30 cents instead of .05??