PDA

View Full Version : Autograph authentication BLUNDER!

NATCARD
08-27-2011, 06:22 PM
I was just made aware of this article and website and found it very interesting. Although not Sports related specifically it does have to do with the major authenticators.
http://www.autographalert.com/news.html
Enjoy reading ???
Jeff W

Moesalty
08-28-2011, 05:54 AM
Incredible read! Thanks for the "heads up!"

terjung
08-28-2011, 07:30 AM
That's quite the article. Makes you want to question all the experts on Pawn Stars.

GrayGhost
08-28-2011, 07:38 AM
Well, I saw that episode, and am not familiar w Mr Pacino's signature, but I defer to those who are.

Pawn stars is a GREAT show, but using Dru Max of AAU is iffy at best. He comes in w a huge suitcase, and all he ever takes out is a magnifying glass. He never shows anyone a "real exemplar" to prov things, just talks. Interesting.

gnaz01
08-28-2011, 12:01 PM
Well, I saw that episode, and am not familiar w Mr Pacino's signature, but I defer to those who are.

Pawn stars is a GREAT show, but using Dru Max of AAU is iffy at best. He comes in w a huge suitcase, and all he ever takes out is a magnifying glass. He never shows anyone a "real exemplar" to prov things, just talks. Interesting.

Scott,
They didn't use Dru Max, they used John Reznikoff of University Archives fame :D

mcadams
08-28-2011, 02:46 PM
Autographalert.com is not exactly what I could call.........a leading source of knowledge in either the sports memorabilia universe or even the autograph authentication universe. "Opinions" there don't hold much value for me. In reality, the article comes across as a vindictive hit piece for some guy who holds a grudge against either Reznikoff himself, or PSA, or both.

Rich Klein
08-28-2011, 03:43 PM
For fun a google search of Stephen Koschal (Founder of Autograph Alert) and scam will pull up some interesting results.

I suggest anyone who takes him seriously, read about Mr Koschal's past issues

Regards
Rich

GrayGhost
08-28-2011, 04:06 PM
Scott,
They didn't use Dru Max, they used John Reznikoff of University Archives fame :D

I know Greg. But, for most other authentications, they use Dru. He threw out an Hemingway, approved a Helen Keller and also has done Orville Wright and some sports on there as well.

gnaz01
08-28-2011, 06:10 PM
I know Greg. But, for most other authentications, they use Dru. He threw out an Hemingway, approved a Helen Keller and also has done Orville Wright and some sports on there as well.

Sorry Scott, didn't know that. My bad!!

packs
08-28-2011, 07:29 PM
Wasn't it Dru Max who authenticated that fake Lou Gehrig jersey they bought?

There is a memorabilia store out here in San Francisco in Fisherman's wharf. The store has signatures for sale that range from The Beatles and Jimi Hendrix to General Custer. The store uses AAU to authenticate everything in it.

GrayGhost
08-29-2011, 04:39 AM
I think that Gehrig had like three COA's, and yes, AAU was one if I recall. I wouldn't "blanket" fail everything he has authenticated, but again, his rep isn't the greatest, esp in the sports world.

packs
08-29-2011, 12:49 PM
It had COA from the Nevada notary republic or something like that. I remember in the early days of eBay a lot of sellers used to sell items authenticated by a state representative.

thetruthisoutthere
08-29-2011, 03:46 PM
I think that Gehrig had like three COA's, and yes, AAU was one if I recall. I wouldn't "blanket" fail everything he has authenticated, but again, his rep isn't the greatest, esp in the sports world.

AAU (Drew Max) resides in the same circle as Morales and Taylor. Below is a Drew Max certed beauty.