PDA

View Full Version : Legendary Auction

oldjudge
08-24-2011, 12:10 PM
I am quite surprised that the thread that Doug posted that his auction ends tonight and tomorrow was taken down. Similar threads are put up by numerous other auction houses and are allowed to remain. This kind of censorship is just wrong. Either all should be allowed or none should be allowed, and as long as the postings are not excessive I would vote for all.

Exhibitman
08-24-2011, 12:19 PM
I agree; innocent until proven guilty.

Leon
08-24-2011, 12:28 PM
I am quite surprised that the thread that Doug posted that his auction ends tonight and tomorrow was taken down. Similar threads are put up by numerous other auction houses and are allowed to remain. This kind of censorship is just wrong. Either all should be allowed or none should be allowed, and as long as the postings are not excessive I would vote for all.

Jay- As I explained to you on the phone, the ad wasn't run by me first, as the rules state they need to be. I moved it to the appropriate section. Why you say it was taken down, I don't know. regards

oldjudge
08-24-2011, 12:42 PM
Leon--You're right. It was not taken down, just hidden from general view. I think this was the wrong decision and hope that in the future you will treat all auction houses the same, something I'm sure you would want for Brockelman and Luckey if someone else controlled the chat board.

Leon
08-24-2011, 01:29 PM
Leon--You're right. It was not taken down, just hidden from general view. I think this was the wrong decision and hope that in the future you will treat all auction houses the same, something I'm sure you would want for Brockelman and Luckey if someone else controlled the chat board.

Jay- I realize you won't agree with this but I have to say that folks who advertise on the board do get more privileges with announcing their auctions. Doug Allen has declined to advertise and that is fine. I still like Doug and bid in Legendary Auctions. However I do have to give the folks that pay to advertise a good value for their hard earned dollars. They are paying for the right to have their auctions be known to the Net54baseball crowd. Others that don't care to advertise can still post their auctions on the BST page where they are supposed to be. That is my call as I also get to take all of the threats of lawsuits, Cease and Desist orders, and other crap associated with running the board. best regards

botn
08-24-2011, 01:34 PM
Does that mean that for $300 a month you can buy Leon's endless loyalty?

Leon
08-24-2011, 01:49 PM
Does that mean that for $300 a month you can buy Leon's endless loyalty?

No, but maybe $350 and we can talk!!

Bicem
08-24-2011, 01:57 PM
sorry for somewhat O/T, but can someone remind me what time Legendary usually ends? Thanks.

bcbgcbrcb
08-24-2011, 02:01 PM
Unfortunately 3 hours later on the east coast than it does on the west coast.......

oldjudge
08-24-2011, 02:01 PM
"You must place an initial bid on an item before 9:00 PM Central Time on auction closing day to be eligible to bid on that item during the extended bidding period that starts at 10:00 PM. If you are the only bidder on a given lot at 9:00 PM then that lot is automatically closed out and you are declared the winner. At 10:00 PM Central Time, the 30 Minute Rule starts and EACH lot will close individually after that lot goes 30 minutes with no new bids. Whenever a new bid is placed, the 30-minute timer will be reset and the countdown will restart."

bcbgcbrcb
08-24-2011, 02:22 PM
My favorite item is the 1881 Chicago BB Club imperial cabinet but I'm sure that we all know where that lot is going to go.........

Bicem
08-24-2011, 02:25 PM
Thanks Jay, couldn't remember if it was by lot or all at once.

glchen
08-24-2011, 02:44 PM
Legendary is ends lot by lot, so the auction won't end at insane times like some auctions do. (Of course, when I consign, I often prefer those insane ending times.)

Exhibitman
08-24-2011, 03:07 PM
Unfortunately 3 hours later on the east coast than it does on the west coast.......

Hee hee, the only reason I am glad my family relocated from NYC to LA.

On the main topic, my impression was that the purpose of announcing auctions on the main board was to serve the community by reminding members of when auctions are starting or ending. I've found that helpful in the past as I sometimes lose track of a given auction. Having the announcements in the BST isn't as helpful, IMO, since I tend to cruise through the main board several times a day but frequent the BST far less often.

Leon
08-24-2011, 03:31 PM
On the main topic, my impression was that the purpose of announcing auctions on the main board was to serve the community by reminding members of when auctions are starting or ending. I've found that helpful in the past as I sometimes lose track of a given auction. Having the announcements in the BST isn't as helpful, IMO, since I tend to cruise through the main board several times a day but frequent the BST far less often.

And Doug still didn't follow the rules. The announcements in the BST don't get the amount of publicity as the main board, I agree with that.

Why would you buy the cow if you can milk it for free? best regards

Griffins
08-24-2011, 03:32 PM
Hee hee, the only reason I am glad my family relocated from NYC to LA.

I thought it was because we don't whine over little earth tremors like they do on the east coast?
;)

Brendan
08-24-2011, 03:52 PM
Why should he have not moved it? First of all, they broke the rules. Second, they don't advertise here. There's absolutely no reason for Leon to allow Legendary Auctions to post an advertisement in the main board. I really don't see an argument.

barrysloate
08-24-2011, 04:40 PM
I thought it was because we don't whine over little earth tremors like they do on the east coast?
;)

Boy, are we getting blasted just because we're afraid of small earthquakes. Wait until the day LA gets a foot of snow- we'll see how you guys deal with that.:)

Cerberus
08-24-2011, 04:55 PM
Boy, are we getting blasted just because we're afraid of small earthquakes. Wait until the day LA gets a foot of snow- we'll see how you guys deal with that.:)

What is this "snow," of which you speak?

Matt
08-24-2011, 05:39 PM
The price on the heavily trimmed Waldon Smith Boston Cabinet is surprising to me - Lew Lipsett had a complete one (SGC 30) sell earlier this year for $8700 - the trimmed on all 4 sides one in Legendary is already at $5k + juice.

Griffins
08-24-2011, 06:10 PM

http://autoworld.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/austrian_autocrash_a1_25-03-2008_1.jpg

botn
08-24-2011, 06:37 PM
The irony of this thread is that Doug ended up getting his notice out to people on the main board despite Leon "burying" his post on the BST. Mission accomplished!

With the email notifications as well as a catalog, I wonder if ads or posts on the main board REALLY result in more bids for an auction house like Legendary?

Jewish-collector
08-24-2011, 06:53 PM
The bidders in Legendary know perfectly well when their desired lots/auction will end. It probably makes no difference if there was a reminder thread on here or not.

Kenny Cole
08-24-2011, 06:59 PM
The other irony is that, were one to go back through the threads, even to the Mastro days, Leon was usually getting grief because he was too close to Doug Allen and was too much on Doug's side insofar as the stuff on the board was concerned. Now he's getting it because he didn't treat Doug as well as he treats others. Go figure.

Matt
08-24-2011, 07:00 PM
The bidders in Legendary know perfectly well when their desired lots/auction will end. It probably makes no difference if there was a reminder thread on here or not.

The thread is for piece of mind for the consignors.

murcerfan
08-24-2011, 07:08 PM
...and surely those Kalamazoo Bats and Gypsy Queens can't go for such low prices...dang! worse than being deep into D cards, whilst the whole world is buying low grade T206's.

Jaybird
08-24-2011, 07:17 PM
...and surely those Kalamazoo Bats and Gypsy Queens can't go for such low prices...dang! worse than being deep into D cards, whilst the whole world is buying low grade T206's.

Send me all your D cards. I'm buying!

slidekellyslide
08-24-2011, 07:45 PM
The thread is for piece of mind for the consignors.

My very first thought. :)

HercDriver
08-24-2011, 07:57 PM
Anthony --

Looks like those guys should have stayed on the road instead of cutting through the grass. There's a lot of snow on the grass...

Cheers,
Geno

E93
08-24-2011, 09:05 PM

In Portland when we get a couple inches of snow the city shuts down. Schools close for about a week.
JimB

benchod
08-24-2011, 09:07 PM
Bumping the thread Jim?
Are you a consignor? :)

bcornell
08-24-2011, 11:26 PM

Phil -

Auctions end at the same time on both coasts. It's the earth's rotation that's the issue.

I've lived on both sides and I'll tell you that this "West Coast advantage" is a myth: late is late.

Bill

Brendan
08-25-2011, 12:08 PM
Phil -

Auctions end at the same time on both coasts. It's the earth's rotation that's the issue.

I've lived on both sides and I'll tell you that this "West Coast advantage" is a myth: late is late.

Bill

West Coast advantage????? Everything happens so early! You think watching the World Series at 5 PM is convenient?????

kgibson
08-25-2011, 12:19 PM
Why would you buy the cow if you can milk it for free? best regards

Because you want steak?