PDA

View Full Version : OT Slightly -- Show "Cancelled" today

Rich Klein
08-21-2011, 08:02 PM
A friend of mine had sent me a craigs list posting about a show in Allen, Texas hosted by JMV Entertainment. The show was to open at 10 AM for early birds and 11 AM for regular customers. I walked in the door at 11:02 and walked around and made a few purchases of pre-1972 tougher series cards at reasonable prices.

And to keep this on topic for Net 54 -- one vendor did have common 41 Play Balls with writing on the back at $5 per. I did not get a chance to make a counter offer before the show closed :)

But while I was walking around, and I should mention that most of the tables in the room were empty, I started hearing the promoter talk to the dealers and say something to the effect of "My credit card was declined" and the hotel shut down the show by 11:30.

I have never seen that before at a show, and my friend who sent me the craig's list posting showed up at noon to discover the show was closed.

So, warning, if you ever see a show run by JMV Entertainment again; you might want to call to ensure that your trip is worth while.

Brian Van Horn
08-21-2011, 08:52 PM
That's a new one. You would have thought the hotel would have shut down the show in advance.

vintagetoppsguy
08-22-2011, 08:27 AM
I’ve never heard of that happening, but I was at a show in Houston (back in ’89 I believe) where Joe DiMaggio was signing autographs and the jerk just got up and left during the middle of the autograph session. I had bought my autograph ticket weeks in advance and had an old LIFE magazine with him on the cover that I was going to have him sign.

I got to the show and the autograph line was pretty long. I thought I would wait for the line to go down some and do some shopping in the meantime. A few minutes later I saw him bolt up out of his chair and storm off. You could tell he was upset about something. He went outside the hotel, got in his limo and took off. Those of us left holding autograph tickets were pissed. The promoter refunded our money, but I was still disappointed.

I later found out that Joe had a deal to sign “X” number of autographs and he thought the promoter oversold the tickets and was screwing him. That wasn’t the case. Joe was wrong. Anyway, I told myself that I would never own any DiMaggio memorabilia (autograph, cards, etc.) and I don't. He was a jerk to do that and leave all those people disappointed.

Jayworld
08-22-2011, 11:01 AM
I live in Allen, and my son and I arrived at the hotel of the show about 1:00 (after lunch). My son is 11 and had never been to a baseball card show, so I thought it would be nice to go (I have not been to a baseball card show in 10+ years). Walked in, was told by the Marriott staff that the show was cancelled, and walked out.

Bummer. Not a lot of local shows are in the Dallas area anymore. Heck, when I was a kid, there was one in Garland every month, and the big one in Dallas at the old Twin 60s hotel was every summer.

This show was also listed on the Beckett show calendar. They've done at least one before in Allen about 3-4 months ago.

rainier2004
08-22-2011, 12:23 PM
Jay...Im soory your boy missed his first show, truly. I hope he took it well and doesnt hold it ahainst the hobby. Man, Id be sad if the show closed on me!

Leon
08-22-2011, 12:41 PM
I live in Allen, and my son and I arrived at the hotel of the show about 1:00 (after lunch).

Hey Jay
You are right down the street from me. I live off of Bethany (east) right near the old Lucas City Hall/Country Club-1378. I am 5.5 miles east of 75. Whereabouts are you?

Rich Klein
08-22-2011, 01:11 PM
We should do a Dallas/North Texas/etc Saturday get together -- the way some of the other areas are getting to do so.

RIch

Jayworld
08-22-2011, 01:13 PM
Leon:
Message sent.

Thanks!

GehrigFan
08-23-2011, 07:44 AM
Yep - I showed up at 2:30 and finally had to ask the front desk where to go. They just said "it was cancelled at 11 AM". Had I driven more than the 2-3 miles it was from my house, I would have been upset.

vintagecpa
08-23-2011, 07:52 AM
I'd like to hear from some of the vendors. I assume they had to prepay for their table(s). If the money is gone to pay for the hotel space, I would imagine the refund checks aren't exactly in the mail either.

Cooptown
08-23-2011, 08:25 AM
Jay...Im soory your boy missed his first show, truly. I hope he took it well and doesnt hold it ahainst the hobby. Man, Id be sad if the show closed on me!

I will never forget the first baseball card show I attended with my late father. My Dad had always bought me packs of baseball cards in the early 1980s when he would go grocery shopping, and I had a real interest in them. I woke up one morning in early 1986 and he said "There's a baseball card show in Utica today, want to go?" I can still feel the excitement. I remember that show like it was yesterday. I still have the 1986 Topps New York Yankees team set he bought me that day, even in the case it came in. Probably has the monetary value of about $1, but is priceless to me.

Leon
08-23-2011, 08:33 AM
Yep - I showed up at 2:30 and finally had to ask the front desk where to go. They just said "it was cancelled at 11 AM". Had I driven more than the 2-3 miles it was from my house, I would have been upset.

Mark
You guys were holding out on me!! I want to know about those shows please....And when are we doing lunch? I am hungry.....

Jayworld
08-23-2011, 09:24 AM
According to the JMV Entertainment website (they do coin, comic toy and card shows), the next schedule show in the Dallas area is Sunday, Nov. 27, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., at the new Marriott in Allen, Texas on Stacy Road.

Other shows are listed in Houston, etc.

Rich Klein
08-23-2011, 11:57 AM
I always let you know (Postcard -- one next month BTW and Arliington) ; just wanted to check this one out because I thought it would be a new card discount box show; -- instead it will end up becoming a legendary story

Rich

PS He walked around to the vendors and paid them back on the spot that I saw so no issues there