PDA

View Full Version : HOF RC's A-C

DanP
08-21-2011, 05:18 PM
A few months ago a small group of us started compiling a list of RC's for HOF'ers. Our project halted after only making it to the "C's". I may attempt to start up again when I get more time (probably the winter).

We first tried to define "what is a card". No surprise we almost didn't make it any further. Personally I like Hal Lewis' definition of "what is a card" (do a archive N54 search on the subject). I'm not crazy about calling anything larger than a postcard or exhibit card a "baseball card" (i.e. W600's) but everyone else was so we included larger "cards". We did not include any minor league cards (pre-rookie's). The cards had to display the player from their playing days (i.e. not in a minor league uniform or from their minor league playing days).

I'm not looking to start an argument as to what defines a card, should we include PRC's, etc. This is just a list with the rules we decided on. If you agree with our guidelines then use the list, if you don't agree go ahead and create your own list (or use ours as a starting point and modify as needed)!

Also, the "PSA P W" (in red) next to some of the cards indicates the card is PSA's RC choice for their HOF Player Post-War registry.

FYI. I'd love to complete the list someday and have a website (I've already reserved an address) with images for every card (hopefully from N54 members cards). I know Phil already has a website (Phil was part of our group) called: baseballhalloffamerookiecards.com. However, Phil's list is more like a list of "collectibles" since it includes pins, photo's, etc. He also includes pre-rookies in his list. I don't mean any dis-respect to Phil, his website is fantastic. I'd like to have a place where everyone can go to find out what are the acceptable rookie cards for every HOF'er (according to our guidelines mentioned earlier).

Sorry the images may not be that clear. If you'd like a spreadsheet version just let me know.

If you have any additional information, corrections, additions, comments, etc. please email me at: danp306@gmail.com.

Matt
08-21-2011, 05:23 PM
How does this compare to the list on OldCardboard?
http://www.oldcardboard.com/ref/rookies/RookiesList.asp

novakjr
08-21-2011, 05:27 PM
Very Good. That's exactly the kind of list I've been trying to put together...Basically, a list of latest acceptable rookie cards.. I'm far from an expert, but I've done my share of studies. If you need any help, just let me know...

vintagerookies51
08-21-2011, 05:29 PM
would the 1908 E102 Ty Cobb be considered a rookie card?

DanP
08-21-2011, 05:32 PM
How does this compare to the list on OldCardboard?
http://www.oldcardboard.com/ref/rookies/RookiesList.asp

We actually used the Old Cardboard list (along with other sites like: VCP) as a starting point.

I believe the Old Cardboard list (created by Phil Garry) is actually the same information as: baseballhalloffamerookiecards.com. I believe baseballhalloffamerookiecards.com is more up to date since Phil is managing the site.

In my opinion: Old Cardboard (like: baseballhalloffamerookiecards.com) is a list of HOF Rookie "collectibles" (I've discussed this with Phil). It includes: photo's, pins, stamps, silks, etc. which I don't believe anyone could argue are "cards". Also, it include pre-rookie cards (i.e. Hank Aaron 1952 Indianapolis Clown's card is his PRC).

DanP
08-21-2011, 05:34 PM
would the 1908 E102 Ty Cobb be considered a rookie card?

Yes, good catch! Now that I think of it I don't think we finished our review of the "C's". I guess you guys will do it for us.

I'll add the E102 to the spreadsheet for Cobb.

Thanks

DanP
08-21-2011, 05:36 PM
Very Good. That's exactly the kind of list I've been trying to put together...Basically, a list of latest acceptable rookie cards.. I'm far from an expert, but I've done my share of studies. If you need any help, just let me know...

Definitely! Feel free to review what I sent out so far. Once we start up again we could certainly use more help.

Thanks

novakjr
08-21-2011, 05:49 PM
So far everything checks out with my lists...But for George Brett, I'd probably take off the SSPC. No matter what PSA says, I'm pretty sure that's a '76 issue. And obviously Blyleven is missing.

bcbgcbrcb
08-21-2011, 06:00 PM
Dave:

Here's Blyleven:

http://baseballhalloffamerookiecards.com/Blyleven_Bert.html

novakjr
08-21-2011, 06:02 PM
Dave:

Here's Blyleven:

http://baseballhalloffamerookiecards.com/Blyleven_Bert.html

Thank you Phil...

DanP
08-21-2011, 06:03 PM
So far everything checks out with my lists...But for George Brett, I'd probably take off the SSPC. No matter what PSA says, I'm pretty sure that's a '76 issue. And obviously Blyleven is missing.

Yes, I saw the N54 threads about the SSPC being from 76. That was great to hear. No one would call Brett or Eckersley's RC an SSPC. I will update the spreadsheet to remove the SSPC for Brett.

novakjr
08-21-2011, 06:09 PM
Yes, I saw the N54 threads about the SSPC being from 76. That was great to hear. No one would call Brett or Eckersley's RC an SSPC. I will update the spreadsheet to remove the SSPC for Brett.

Eckersley would still be fine with that set.. Brett, Yount, Carter, Rice all no though. Unless you wanna discount it because it was an unauthorized set..