PDA

View Full Version : New Addition to the T3 Turkey Red Master Set

T3s
08-20-2011, 05:56 PM
While I realize that very few T3 collectors seek to complete a master set of all front and back variations, for those who keep track of such minutiae I have come across a gem.

For many years I've noted that the #90 card of Doolan, would be found spelled Dool"an" with a checklist back, and then the variation spelled Dool"in" with the Turkey Red advertising back. (similar to corrections with the Paskert and Tenney variation cards). In addition, the Dool"in" has always been essentially the most difficult of the variations to locate.

For well over 10 years I have looked closely at every single Doolan/Doolin T3 I could find (and that's been plenty!) and never saw that pattern deviate. So imagine my surprise when I found a Dool"an" with a Turkey Red advertising back. Very pleased to now own it.

I'm left to theorize whether this card was made before the Dool"in" correction, or after. My guess is before.

Thanks for your indulgence. The T3 Master Set of fronts and backs will now be noted as complete at 251.

As an aside, please visit my T3 Turkey Red website (www.t3turkeyred.com) when you have a chance as I've recently added a few pages and made several updates. I think it's much improved and certainly needed the updates.

Happy Collecting,
Craig

FrankWakefield
08-20-2011, 05:59 PM
Congratulations! Thanks for posting that information. A great card and an even greater post.

canjond
08-20-2011, 06:03 PM
Craig - Can you post all the Doolin front/back varieties? I'd love to see them all together.

ethicsprof
08-20-2011, 06:23 PM
excellent scholarly research and pics---a real pleasure to read and view.

thank you

all the best,

barry

T3s
08-20-2011, 06:28 PM
Jon - I'll pull 'em together. Craig

Exhibitman
08-20-2011, 08:33 PM
Don't know if this helps but I can confirm a #76 Jack Johnson no-ad back.

http://photos.imageevent.com/exhibitman/miscellaneous2/websize/T9%20Johnson.jpg

T3s
08-20-2011, 10:35 PM
Thanks Adam,

Nice card. The "no-ad" backs are a favorite of mine. I devote a page to them on the website. As noted, each first series card (1-50) - except the McIntyre-Brooklyn card - and each T9 boxer (51-76) can be found with the "no-ad" back variation.

I added a page to the site for T9 boxing fans as well.

Best,
Craig

T3s
08-20-2011, 11:40 PM
Per Jon's request, here are front and back scans of each Doolan/Doolin stiched together. Sorry for the quality of the scans.

The last scan is of a very unique Doolin with a blank back that I picked up several years ago. It is a full production card on front, but lacks the back. I own a handful of T3 proofs and have seen many others and can say that the focus and clarity on them is unmatched when compared to full production cards. This card carries those qualities - it is exquisite. I can't claim it is a proof, but a very interesting card nonetheless.

Best,
Craig

Bicem
08-21-2011, 08:26 AM
wow, thanks for sharing Craig. That blank back is very cool, not sure I have ever seen one that didn't have the proof lines on front, amazing.

E93
08-21-2011, 11:38 AM
Great info and research. Thanks.
JimB

philliesphan
08-21-2011, 02:02 PM
as a Phillies fan, I've never seen such a variation before. Very cool pickup!