PDA

View Full Version : Will this card grade marked, stained or both?

Northviewcats
08-15-2011, 09:23 PM
I just picked up this nice 1956 checklist, and I was thinking I would have it graded before selling it. The checklist was marked in pencil, and then erased, so I know it will receive a marked qualifier from PSA. But it also has a small stain on the back. Will PSA give it two qualifiers or just the marked qualifier? Any guess if it is worth having it graded?

Thanks,

Joe

mintacular
08-16-2011, 07:41 AM
Why would you grade it? It's going to get the mk qualifier, don't see the point of getting it graded...

Northviewcats
08-16-2011, 11:57 AM
Hi Patrick,

Thanks for the response.

To answer your question: The checklists for the 1956 Topps set are difficult and expensive. Most were marked along time ago and collectors threw them away. I believe the card would probably grade a 6 if not marked or stained. Almost all of the examples of the card for sale on eBay are graded and also are marked, so it seems that the card still has great value even with the pencil marks. There is also some light staining on the back of my card. I have only sent three submissions into PSA, so I am unsure if a card can receive two qualifiers, in this case stained and marked? and if it did receive both qualifiers would it still be worth grading?

Best regards,

Joe

mintacular
08-16-2011, 01:02 PM
PSA only gives 1 qualifier and in this case the "mk" is the most obvious one so it would probably get a "mk". Most of the graded ones on eBay are done so to "prove" its unmarked nature so since yours are marked, i'm not sure why you would throw away $10 to have it graded, jmo.Keep in mind the hbv drops off significantly if the card has been marked, for example most marked '57 checklists that i collect are worth around 5% of book

vintagetoppsguy
08-16-2011, 02:17 PM
Pat is right, they will only give 1 qualifier and the "MK" is the one it would receive. Even w/o the MK, it would still get ST or even OC (top to bottom centering) qualifier. I think the card is a 5 MK, in which case I also agree with Pat that it's not worth grading.

I bought a PSA 5 MK 1/3 checklist for my set on eBay. I looked all over, front and back and I could not see a mark. I cracked it out and finally saw one slight little pencil mark on the surface of the card (and it wasn't even in one of the check boxes). It looked like a pencil had accidentally brushed up against the card. In fact, it was so minor I am surprised they even noticed it. I lightly erased the mark and now it is displayed with my raw set. I am still looking for a nice 2/4 checklist. I think I paid $20 or $30 for mine if that helps and that's why I agree it's not worth grading.

Northviewcats
08-16-2011, 03:15 PM
Thanks Pat and Dave. I appreciate the information. My thinking is the card would only sell for $5-$10 in the raw state, but if I spent $10 to get it graded it might bring $30-$40 if it got a PSA 5 marked. I just didn't know if the card would receive two qualifiers. I'm just getting started submitting cards for grading, and then reselling them. I have been very pleased with the grades that I have received so far, and it seems like there is money to made submitting your best cards for grading. I have a lot of raw cards that I'm trying to decide if I should send them in. This one was a puzzle to me, so your opinion is very helpful.

Best regards,

Joe